• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

sleeper of spring 2011? sunday listenin'

#215015 1 year, 9 months ago
archive.org/details/furthur2011-04-02.sb...ficial.113520.flac16

at the time i wasn't overly impressed with this show as there were a ton of great shows from the tour overshadowing it, but the recording says otherwise, to these ears. night 22 of 25, this was actually the first night i formally met little bear, after seeing him around for a bit. george thought it had the best crowd energy of the tour. cool first set 3 "blues" tunes in a row. a rare spanish jam and a 2 song encore, masterpiece being the first since the previous november in ames (a whole other thread in itself, i think i've posted it, more than once lol) also, NO saturday night, even with the 2 song encore.

i'm going back to bed it's too early here to be up on this day off.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreatestStoryEverTold, FurthurFlower67
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

Re: sleeper of spring 2011? sunday listenin'

#215043 1 year, 9 months ago
wow this is amazing burt, i just randomly put this on today too. The St.Stephen>Spanish Jam is sick and the Masterpiece encore with>revolution is unexpected def a sleeper show!
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#215093 1 year, 9 months ago
Nice call. I really like the New Potato. That has become a fav of late since I heard it at MCU on Sat nite when they did the Anthem gig. Not really before, but it really hit me that night.

Isnt funny how you can hear a song for 33 years and then finally like it. LOL.

Why??? I cant really say other then it was that amazing confluence of all the vibes (music, scene, people, location) that just made this song hit me hard.

Though funny story - the great family that took me under their wing at Coney Island those two nights (Billy and fam from Long Island and Brooklyn......you have been in my prayers since Sandy!!), we were all dancing, and when this song came on one of the younger bros turns and asks "what is the name of this song?".

Being a little high and not sure of my Anthem songs I say "isnt it Cryptical Envelopment". LOL. Doh!!!!!! And I thought the whole Cryptical>Other One> Cryptical was called "Thats it for the Other One", though I guess that could be argued to be true.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#215139 1 year, 9 months ago
new potato caboose is awesome. you know, a rare song in which bob used to sing with the grateful dead but now phil sings, with his previous bands and now furthur. in fact, weir has not sung the song on stage during a show since june 8th of 1969. in phil's book he says "it's interesting to consider the evolution of this particular song. it didn't spring into being all at once, but rather amalgamated itself over time, with small but crucial contributions from the whole band. pig added a celesta part to the intro, jerry a melodic phrase for the verse, mickey a glockenspiel riff and a very important gong roll. bob sang lead on the song, since i wasn't ready to try singing leads yet."

one cool thing is although the grateful dead stopped playing in 43 years ago, someone like me who's only been going to shows for 10 years has been exposed to it, quite a bit.

and that's why phil is so fucking awesome, he loves that 60's primal vibe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#215158 1 year, 9 months ago
. bob sang lead on the song, since i wasn't ready to try singing leads yet."

There are many who still believe this to be true outside of Box of Rain & Unbroken Chain.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#215167 1 year, 9 months ago
everytime you post i am reminded of the original peanuts, when the adults are talking. blah blah blah blah
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#215180 1 year, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
everytime you post i am reminded of the original peanuts, when the adults are talking. blah blah blah blah

Thats the most accurate thing you have ever posted. I am the adult and you can't hear or understand...you are Linus walking around with his "phil is god" blankie....

Btw my adult opinion was obviously shared by members of the Grateful Dead as Phil was alloted 0 lead vocals after 74...until late 84 and at most he was given 1 song to sing a show and many shows zero. The adults understand Phils contribution to the GD was phenomenal bass playing.. and writing a couple of songs you can count on one hand. Phils "singing" was never a strength... I am sure if you asked him he would tell you the same.... he's worked on it for sure post dead... but it is still cringe worthy on a lot of tunes.

Oh and on another note --You don't have to post I play bass -- I think we all know that after posting it 300 times... like it gives you some sort of cred... my bet is you attempt to play bass... let me know when your tour starts I wouldn't miss it!!!! i
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#215251 1 year, 9 months ago
Did someone say Spanish Jam??

Whoa! Wait a minute! I guess I haven't listened to this show yet...

New Potato Caboose, St Stephen > Spanish Jam > Mountain Song > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

OMG hell yeah man good call wlewis!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#215254 1 year, 9 months ago
you're the adult by technicality, but really everybody knows your about as childish as a four year old. i ain't no linus, mike is linus, i'm more like pigpen the kid who needs a shower.

phil chose to stop singing. that's what your own mind can do to do. you are right, he knew it wasn't a strength in fact he was not proud of it at all.

i didn't post i played bass in this thread, you mentioned it. how many instruments do you play man? how many bands do you sing in? if you want to have a bass duel i'm in any day of the week brother, i've even got a bass you can use.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#215291 1 year, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
you're the adult by technicality, but really everybody knows your about as childish as a four year old. i ain't no linus, mike is linus, i'm more like pigpen the kid who needs a shower.

phil chose to stop singing. that's what your own mind can do to do. you are right, he knew it wasn't a strength in fact he was not proud of it at all.

i didn't post i played bass in this thread, you mentioned it. how many instruments do you play man? how many bands do you sing in? if you want to have a bass duel i'm in any day of the week brother, i've even got a bass you can use.

HAHAHA..ok where to start. "Everybody" you mean you and a clique of 3 or 4 people who are haters? I could give 2 shits I am not here for a popularity contest... I find childish little cliques among "adults" to be quite amusing!!!!Sorry I keep it real. Ok let me teach you something else. Phil didn't "choose" to quit singing... he had an issue with his vocal chords and could no longer hit the notes... he used to sing the high backround vocals on I Know you Rider pre 74..amongst other things. He "lost" his voice...it was a medical issue ... he didn't "choose" to quit. He was proud of his earlier voice. Some reading on the dead might help you before you put your foot in your mouth again. Sinced you asked I took lessons/played guitar not bass but alas I partied to much and gave it up. That said the bass player is nearly always the guy who wasn't good enough at the guitar to play it. Playing bass is light years easier than playing the guitar.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds