• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
guerdon
Fresh Boarder

Re: quitting cigarettes...

#21590 3 years, 5 months ago
good for you...and good luck...I quit years ago....and I was a 2 pack a day smoker....you can do it...best thing to do is keep your mind off it....I know it's easier said then done though....
CinnamonGirl53
Junior Boarder

#21592 3 years, 5 months ago
If at first you don't succeed, keep trying. Hang in there. I know its not easy. All the best.
*pict groover*
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#21593 3 years, 5 months ago
don't give up.
It's the best thing you can do for your health
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
milesgone
Junior Boarder
All the milesgone behind me to see shows

#21876 3 years, 5 months ago
save money and feel better!!!

I had my last in late March.. I know now, that if I tried to smoke one, it would make me feel sick. I don't like that feeling..
Material St. John
Junior Boarder

#21901 3 years, 5 months ago
I quit the day after Hampton this year. Still going strong!

I feel so much better. When I drink a few beers it's tougher--- but still have not stumbled.

Vibes to anyone who is trying!

J
"and/or it will require a change that hasn't come before"
Ace#11
Junior Boarder

#21905 3 years, 5 months ago
I feel ya man , I have not had a cigarrette in 14 days !!! I feel great though , but still get the cravings every day, my girlfriend still smokes around me and I haven't picked one up and refuse to , I just think to myself "You weak bastard! you can't even control yourself over something little like that?" and the urge goes away , I have also been running and doing Yoga alot , hang in there bro! we'll be just fine!
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#21914 3 years, 5 months ago
You can do it... Smoked for a few years, quit cold turkey. The 1st few days are the toughest. Think of every 30 minutes as a victory. Replacement strategy is good, toothpicks, gum.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
wngfan
Junior Boarder

#21915 3 years, 5 months ago
I quit a few years ago, the hardest part for me was about 2 to 3 weeks into quiting. Nowadays i have no desire for a cigarette.
4stringer70
Fresh Boarder

#21923 3 years, 5 months ago
I've quit a number of times in the past, but this time it seems to be it--and as another poster said, you have to be mentally prepared to do it and sincerely want to quit. That's the key.

Not to take anything away from folks who've had success with Chantix, but it didn't agree with me. Made my hyper-depressed and nauseous all the time. I decided I'd rather be happy and smoking. An uneven tradeoff, I know.

This time I got a Xyban prescription and found it to be very effective. It's Wellbutrin (an MAOI, or anti-depressant) and in its generic form goes under the BuPropion handle. That stuff really works. Idea is to smoke for the first 10 days of treatment, then quit completely while still taking the drug. Worked great for me.

And yeah, there's times when I'm tempted (while having cocktails or playing a gig), but the thing to remember is this: you will have the craving whether you choose to smoke or not. The nicotine addiction demon is extraordinarily devious and will remain silent until you're at your most vulnerable. Once you realize this and can grapple with it mentally, you're on the path to successfully quitting. Regardless of what method you choose, good luck. The benefits are HUGE but not immediately obvious until you have some time behind you. Keep at it.
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#21932 3 years, 5 months ago
Has anybody tried (dont know the name) those metal nicotene vapor cigarette thingamajigs?
That could help, mayb...
Lynx
Visitor

#22428 3 years, 5 months ago
How's it going ICFMF?

I quit 3 months ago. For the first 3 weeks the cravings were awful... nearly non-stop, intense cravings. I just buried myself in work, slept a lot, and got through it.

After the 3 week point things got a lot easier. I still get cravings everyday, however they are nothing compared to what they were in the beginning. I only get 1 or 2 per day, and they last a minute or two then they are gone. My next hurdle is to lose the weight i've gained (14LBS!).

Best of luck to you.
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

#22444 3 years, 5 months ago
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds