• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#215260 1 year, 9 months ago
poles that is the most sensible post here. i like what you had to say about being able to keep up with younger musicians and their interpretations.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#215273 1 year, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
poles that is the most sensible post here. i like what you had to say about being able to keep up with younger musicians and their interpretations.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Denver Man. Reason: fuck it
RambleFurthur
Junior Boarder

#215411 1 year, 9 months ago
Whats wrong with everyone? Its a brotherhood, not a contest. Be happy you can still see them at all and let the music play how it falls.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#215456 1 year, 9 months ago
well I sure do miss Bob after this Phil tour - as good as it was some stuff just dosn't feel right without Bob.

like several of his songs and that way fast paced Hard-Rain the other night, it's all good and I still enjoyed the version but we need a little more mellowness sometimes IMO -- just my likings of course

but this tour rocked and im glad I made it all happen.... especially after what Phil said tonight about it being their last time in NYC for a while...... something tells me that wasn't just reefering to Phil and Friends
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#215489 1 year, 9 months ago
RambleFurthur wrote:
Whats wrong with everyone? Its a brotherhood, not a contest.
I'm wondering the same thing. What's wrong with some folk? This is a conversation. That's all. Folks aren't drawing up papers of secession. If it is a conversation you don't think needs having, then avoid it. No big whoop. It's happening.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#215618 1 year, 9 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:

but this tour rocked and im glad I made it all happen.... especially after what Phil said tonight about it being their last time in NYC for a while...... something tells me that wasn't just reefering to Phil and Friends

?????????? I missed what Phil said. Last time????? Hmmmmmmmmmm.........ok no rumors. Just interesting....
sweetwilliamisdead
Junior Boarder

#215630 1 year, 9 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
Of course we were Jerry song fans! Bob annoyed me back then but that all changed when Jerry died. I love that man and everything he has done for the community.
It was very easy to be annoyed with the Bob Weir of the 80s and 90s.

Well its all in the ears/eyes of the beholder. To me Bobby (along with Brent) kept Jerry awake for alot of shows in the the 80's &90's .... and I like to "rock" I don't need a 2hr Dark Star (unless I was on a ten strip) ... as far as the 90's by 92 Bobby (along with Phil) was carrying the band. Hey its all opinion there is no "right" answer. I knew a few who Bobby "annoyed" but don't count me & many others among them. The GD would never have been the GD without all the classics Bobby brought to the table...nearly 1/2 the songbook & just to be clear I love Phil. I would also add the Kreutzmann is as classic to the "sound" as any of the big 3 ( thats what we used to call Jerrry, Phil, & Bobby). The sum was greater than whole.

exactly. bobby is the deads x factor not just jerrys sidekick, some people sell bobby and the rest so short like it was jerry garcia band not the grateful dead. The depth he adds as another vocalist, and a very unique musician and songwritter is part of what pushes the grateful dead to another level than jerry garcia band and most any musical group out there, just like phils bass play is. honestly without bobby songs and his contribution the music it would have got boring, jerry would have become a has been as hard for me it is to say that, he might have become somehting lower than what he actually was. ha these are just my ideas but, The later years would have just been jerry killing himself on drugs, not wanting to be their, playing the same tunes every night. It would have got to be like some worn out nostalgia act with less and less variety and enthusiasm, and that is definetly not what the dead and family bands were about now or ever. jerry was the figure head and rightfully so, but what has made the gd so great and lasting involves more than one or for that matter 5 names.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#215663 1 year, 9 months ago
www.google.com/imgres?q=furthur&num=...t:429,r:42,s:0,i:269

Who"s the guy in the background ???

Pic from Merriweather this past summer
-- smell every flower --
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#215672 1 year, 9 months ago
Really this poll is like King Kong vs. Godzilla pointless
Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by DigiGal.
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#215678 1 year, 9 months ago
Never quite understood how when people are just expressing thier opion or view on something contreversial it becomes a pointless thing?That is why they call it a discussion right?
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#215681 1 year, 9 months ago
stricken wrote:
When you put vs in it becomes one or the other and both are a part of the whole music we love so if the point of this thread is to start some kind of feud or refuel one all i can say is childish.
ANd if you have to ask who is better i think you dont get the whole picture of whats going on with the making of the music.
If you did you would know that the bass is doing his own thing and by that running scales but not just scales alone sometimes the bass holds the rhythm up so another can play lead over it.One way a bass player can be evaluated is by the ability to hold the rhythm.
Im going on and on and the best way to put it is if you like fruit salad there may be some in the mix you dont care for but the next person loves it. so it matters to you no need for someone else to tell you your correct or wrong.
Kinda like liking amish macaroni salad over the traditional salad what ya saying?We agree amish is better but does that make us right?It just makes it OUR choice.right?Or am i missing something here?I love it all and am grateful for all i ever heard.I personally had a blast seeing pl&f and it was more of a good time then i had at my last couple furthur shows.I think the thread should have been if ya see furthur 30 times then see bobby or phil 1 or a couple times after all that furthur would nt just seem natyral that whichever ya had a better time at would be who ya pick.Otherwise your just basing your opinion on who ya liked better when they were all alive and playing together.i think wlewis put it right when he said i would never wanna see them seperate anyway if it was my choice.I did nt see bobby solo so i cant say but man i sure did love those phil shows.But forever grateful and deadicated to them all and all thier side projects!!!!!
stricken
Gold Boarder

#215698 1 year, 9 months ago
Got to get this out of the way first then reply to sublime.
The question is bob vs phil who would you rather see. Not bob vs phil and friends

Solo means by ones self or one's own merits. You cant compare the recent bob solo to phil and friends. Well i guess you can because thats at the core of this supposed discussion.
Time to create page: 0.87 seconds