• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#214642 1 year, 9 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
Weirder: you missed the encore 2nd night would be the rest of the other one with phil on vox. ouch.

also, Beatles stars were.......Paul and John. The bassist and guitarist.

Now Phil and Bobby think they're the Beatles...lol jkjkjk

Um but paul was the songwriter singer of 1/2 the tunes. Harrison...had very few but great ones.

Oh & I forgot to mix it up Phil Would encore the second night with : Broken Arrow...... Also toss in a Pride a cucamonga each night to lenghten the show
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214643 1 year, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Of course we were Jerry song fans! Bob annoyed me back then but that all changed when Jerry died. I love that man and everything he has done for the community.

I don't think any "deadhead" worth his salt wasn't a fan of Jerry (in all aspects songwriting, singing and most of all playing)..and yes I know their were severe Bob haters even back in the day. He never annoyed me, I enjoyed his tunes, singing, & playing..
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214646 1 year, 9 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
Of course we were Jerry song fans! Bob annoyed me back then but that all changed when Jerry died. I love that man and everything he has done for the community.
It was very easy to be annoyed with the Bob Weir of the 80s and 90s.

Well its all in the ears/eyes of the beholder. To me Bobby (along with Brent) kept Jerry awake for alot of shows in the the 80's &90's .... and I like to "rock" I don't need a 2hr Dark Star (unless I was on a ten strip) ... as far as the 90's by 92 Bobby (along with Phil) was carrying the band. Hey its all opinion there is no "right" answer. I knew a few who Bobby "annoyed" but don't count me & many others among them. The GD would never have been the GD without all the classics Bobby brought to the table...nearly 1/2 the songbook & just to be clear I love Phil. I would also add the Kreutzmann is as classic to the "sound" as any of the big 3 ( thats what we used to call Jerrry, Phil, & Bobby). The sum was greater than whole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sweetwilliamisdead
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#214647 1 year, 9 months ago
Back in the day Bobby's over the top vocal antics did annoy some folks, you would hear stuff like "it ain't easy being cheesey" and "Hollywood bob" but I've always loved his playing style. Of course in 1977 the GD did 60 shows and they played Estimated 50 times that year but I love Estimated but might grow tired after 50.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214650 1 year, 9 months ago
dr bakes wrote:
Back in the day Bobby's over the top vocal antics did annoy some folks, you would hear stuff like "it ain't easy being cheesey" and "Hollywood bob" but I've always loved his playing style. Of course in 1977 the GD did 60 shows and they played Estimated 50 times that year but I love Estimated but might grow tired after 50.

I personally loved those "over the top" vocals it was usually nearing a songs end when Bobby was "rocking out" Lovelight, Sugar Mag. LL Rain, Estimated HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....I love/loved that shit... if that deems me a fan of "cheese" I plead happily guilty. On another note... I have been holding this comment for awhile ..but since you mention something in the ballpark...... bringing on more hate.... with all these (extra) shows Phil has been doing outside of Further..not just Phil n Friends... certain songs are absolutely getting beat to death. Let me explain. I will only refer to my era of attending 81 on. There would basically be a spring, summer, fall tour with a few extras NYE run, Mardi gras run.......... Lets keep it simple I'll just use China>Rider and Shakedown as examples. China> Rider would on average be played 3 times a tour for a total of 9. Toss in 2 for the extras you get 11 China>Riders a year. Neither Jerry or Bobby played China>Rider outside of the GD. So that was it for the year ...to ME..it always made it more special.... and I "think" it would pump up the band more being "fresher". I'm not going to go count but the number of China>Riders is way way way way more this year. Onto Shakedown... it was a lil rarer..a couple a tour --maybe 6 or 7 all year... again "fresher" ...I'm not gonna count but the number of Shakedowns this year is again way way higher. When you heard the opening notes of Shakedown it was SHAKEDOWN WOHHOO pandemonium. Sugaree suffered this same fate when Ratdog and Phil & Friends were touring at the same time... and then in certain yrs even more when the Dead was playing too. To ME... it just takes some of the luster off.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#214665 1 year, 9 months ago
perry wrote:
Celebrity death match?

Great idea!!!
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#214667 1 year, 9 months ago
and I like to "rock" I don't need a 2hr Dark Star (unless I was on a ten strip) ...

Hey. Sorry to change the theme or add a new one.............but when over did it happen over the years that you had to take a ten strip to get a buzz on. Was that in the 90s when the band went big and dealers were looking for L to be a better rev source then $4 a hit???

Personally I had a great connection back in the 1990-95 period and was getting "Owsley" tabs, smaller then the size of a 5 mg Perc (the tiny only Perc ones). One of those was more then enough, many folks would split is for a more manageable experience. BTW - the splitting thing was always funny due to the small size and desire to not fuck up.

So I was not hanging our in Shakedown during that time and mainly saw just PNW shows during that stretch.

Now its 10 strips and taking more then one "hit". My question: when did that happen???
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214673 1 year, 9 months ago
Griff that was sort of an exaggeration on my part to emphasize my point. That said as far as myself the most I ever did (accidentally) was 7 or 8 hits of liquid... when a rubber stopper came loose from an eye dropper and spilled on the back of my hand. That is another long story for another day. As far as myself my choice was always 2... it seemed to hit me exactly where I wanted to be 1 wasn't enough 3 to many. Trust me these were mostly from the source.... fresh... in the later yrs 92-95 or so I cut back to one. OK I did know a few folks who toured extensively ( maybe missing 5 or 6 shows a yr). As I am sure you are aware tolerance builds up quickly. If you did 1 on night one you would get off way better than the same "one" you did on night 2. Anyway by night 5 or 6 of the tour these folks would do 10 strips just to get off ( note ahem they were mazzerati factory themselves ... trust me one never got me any visuals. 2 was like the poorage was just right..3 was to hot!!!
Gone R the daze...
stricken
Gold Boarder

#214674 1 year, 9 months ago
Griff wrote:
and I like to "rock" I don't need a 2hr Dark Star (unless I was on a ten strip) ...

Hey. Sorry to change the theme or add a new one.............but when over did it happen over the years that you had to take a ten strip to get a buzz on. Was that in the 90s when the band went big and dealers were looking for L to be a better rev source then $4 a hit???

Personally I had a great connection back in the 1990-95 period and was getting "Owsley" tabs, smaller then the size of a 5 mg Perc (the tiny only Perc ones). One of those was more then enough, many folks would split is for a more manageable experience. BTW - the splitting thing was always funny due to the small size and desire to not fuck up.

So I was not hanging our in Shakedown during that time and mainly saw just PNW shows during that stretch.

Now its 10 strips and taking more then one "hit". My question: when did that happen???

thats a hard answer but i speculate that the diluting is caused more out of concern that whomever may have a bad time would not have to bad of a time. Or one could say greed is behind it. Also where your at will play a part.
For myself i remember paying 25 cents for 10 hrs of fun back in the early 90's now its like 30 bucks for the same amount of fun.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#214676 1 year, 9 months ago
Cool bro. Thanks for the perspective. Seems like a lot of the stuff that I have seen in the last few years since getting "back" on the bus is really hit and miss and strength varies. I miss the old days too.

Picked this up off Wikipedia for what it worth:

Typical doses in the 1960s ranged from 200 to 1000 µg while street samples of the 1970s contained 30 to 300 µg. By the 1980s, the amount had reduced to between 100 and 125 µg, lowering more in the 1990s to the 20–80 µg range,[72] and even more in the 2000s (decade).[73] [74]
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214685 1 year, 9 months ago

Typical doses in the 1960s ranged from 200 to 1000 µg while street samples of the 1970s contained 30 to 300 µg. By the 1980s, the amount had reduced to between 100 and 125 µg, lowering more in the 1990s to the 20–80 µg range,[72] and even more in the 2000s (decade).[73] [74]

That sounds about right to me. 2 in the 80's from the "source" using the upper end and adding a lil would put 2 at 300 mics. I think the 90's numbers above are a lil low though I would say in my exp more like 75-100. & we are not talking about liquid here.... all bets off... any era. Someone I know procured a vile in 91. Just guessing ( I um tested it) I would put a drop at 400 at least..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
stricken
Gold Boarder

#214702 1 year, 9 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:

That sounds about right to me. 2 in the 80's from the "source" using the upper end and adding a lil would put 2 at 300 mics. I think the 90's numbers above are a lil low though I would say in my exp more like 75-100. & we are not talking about liquid here.... all bets off... any era. Someone I know procured a vile in 91. Just guessing ( I um tested it) I would put a drop at 400 at least..

I think the 90 or early 90.s was a bit higher in dosage and remember the vial was like 125 to 150 in dollars and cents.
i would rate most today at under 70 mics
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds