• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

Re: Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#214667 1 year, 11 months ago
and I like to "rock" I don't need a 2hr Dark Star (unless I was on a ten strip) ...

Hey. Sorry to change the theme or add a new one.............but when over did it happen over the years that you had to take a ten strip to get a buzz on. Was that in the 90s when the band went big and dealers were looking for L to be a better rev source then $4 a hit???

Personally I had a great connection back in the 1990-95 period and was getting "Owsley" tabs, smaller then the size of a 5 mg Perc (the tiny only Perc ones). One of those was more then enough, many folks would split is for a more manageable experience. BTW - the splitting thing was always funny due to the small size and desire to not fuck up.

So I was not hanging our in Shakedown during that time and mainly saw just PNW shows during that stretch.

Now its 10 strips and taking more then one "hit". My question: when did that happen???
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214673 1 year, 11 months ago
Griff that was sort of an exaggeration on my part to emphasize my point. That said as far as myself the most I ever did (accidentally) was 7 or 8 hits of liquid... when a rubber stopper came loose from an eye dropper and spilled on the back of my hand. That is another long story for another day. As far as myself my choice was always 2... it seemed to hit me exactly where I wanted to be 1 wasn't enough 3 to many. Trust me these were mostly from the source.... fresh... in the later yrs 92-95 or so I cut back to one. OK I did know a few folks who toured extensively ( maybe missing 5 or 6 shows a yr). As I am sure you are aware tolerance builds up quickly. If you did 1 on night one you would get off way better than the same "one" you did on night 2. Anyway by night 5 or 6 of the tour these folks would do 10 strips just to get off ( note ahem they were mazzerati factory themselves ... trust me one never got me any visuals. 2 was like the poorage was just right..3 was to hot!!!
Gone R the daze...
stricken
Gold Boarder

#214674 1 year, 11 months ago
Griff wrote:
and I like to "rock" I don't need a 2hr Dark Star (unless I was on a ten strip) ...

Hey. Sorry to change the theme or add a new one.............but when over did it happen over the years that you had to take a ten strip to get a buzz on. Was that in the 90s when the band went big and dealers were looking for L to be a better rev source then $4 a hit???

Personally I had a great connection back in the 1990-95 period and was getting "Owsley" tabs, smaller then the size of a 5 mg Perc (the tiny only Perc ones). One of those was more then enough, many folks would split is for a more manageable experience. BTW - the splitting thing was always funny due to the small size and desire to not fuck up.

So I was not hanging our in Shakedown during that time and mainly saw just PNW shows during that stretch.

Now its 10 strips and taking more then one "hit". My question: when did that happen???

thats a hard answer but i speculate that the diluting is caused more out of concern that whomever may have a bad time would not have to bad of a time. Or one could say greed is behind it. Also where your at will play a part.
For myself i remember paying 25 cents for 10 hrs of fun back in the early 90's now its like 30 bucks for the same amount of fun.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#214676 1 year, 11 months ago
Cool bro. Thanks for the perspective. Seems like a lot of the stuff that I have seen in the last few years since getting "back" on the bus is really hit and miss and strength varies. I miss the old days too.

Picked this up off Wikipedia for what it worth:

Typical doses in the 1960s ranged from 200 to 1000 µg while street samples of the 1970s contained 30 to 300 µg. By the 1980s, the amount had reduced to between 100 and 125 µg, lowering more in the 1990s to the 20–80 µg range,[72] and even more in the 2000s (decade).[73] [74]
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214685 1 year, 11 months ago

Typical doses in the 1960s ranged from 200 to 1000 µg while street samples of the 1970s contained 30 to 300 µg. By the 1980s, the amount had reduced to between 100 and 125 µg, lowering more in the 1990s to the 20–80 µg range,[72] and even more in the 2000s (decade).[73] [74]

That sounds about right to me. 2 in the 80's from the "source" using the upper end and adding a lil would put 2 at 300 mics. I think the 90's numbers above are a lil low though I would say in my exp more like 75-100. & we are not talking about liquid here.... all bets off... any era. Someone I know procured a vile in 91. Just guessing ( I um tested it) I would put a drop at 400 at least..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
stricken
Gold Boarder

#214702 1 year, 11 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:

That sounds about right to me. 2 in the 80's from the "source" using the upper end and adding a lil would put 2 at 300 mics. I think the 90's numbers above are a lil low though I would say in my exp more like 75-100. & we are not talking about liquid here.... all bets off... any era. Someone I know procured a vile in 91. Just guessing ( I um tested it) I would put a drop at 400 at least..

I think the 90 or early 90.s was a bit higher in dosage and remember the vial was like 125 to 150 in dollars and cents.
i would rate most today at under 70 mics
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#214716 1 year, 11 months ago
is the Billy vs Mickey thread coming next? i hope not.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#214720 1 year, 11 months ago
That's a rough call because of each having a go at carrying the tribe. In the Primal years, they were a wonderful team that filled the space like nobody else. The rattles, shakers, cow bells, and other percussion instruments were smartly, sparsely used to bring Dark Star and the spacier places into further depths. The subtle dynamics were extraordinary. Then Bill driving the band like an overbuilt locomotive when he was all alone. But when Mickey returned, Bill went on vacation and really never established dominance again. Mickey became the primary energy between the two. He came back with ideas and a vengeance. Mickey was relatively consistent with strong energy throughout the 80s and 90s, whereas Bill showed up here and there and played in a similar inconsistent manner as Jerry. He was going through the motions for a long time there, and Mickey picked up the slack.

I don't have a favorite between them, and I don't have a favorite period because of either of them. My favorite periods involve some things they offered, but I would never say I was sorry to see Mickey go or for him to return. I know a lot of people like '71-'74 so much that they weren't excited to see Mickey's return. I'm sorry the dynamic changed like it did, but I'm not sorry Mickey came back. I missed him, though Bill was incredible by his lonesome.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#214780 1 year, 11 months ago
"Do or do not....there is no try" Yoda
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
gdrew817
Junior Boarder
All I Leave Behind Me Is Only What I Found

#215001 1 year, 11 months ago
Wow -- from Zeno Marx to Takin it Weirder ... Often disappointed by some of the commentary on this site, especially about Bob... But really don't have much to say... Someone reading the entirety of the thread would read some top notch insight all the way around.

The reason I posted this -- one could obviously point out that playing bass and guitar is just different. Well I'm happy no one took that road and it confirms my belief that the "people" are sensible... With the exception of wlewis who could not answer the question "who would you rather see solo " (ie he's in denial Bob has more to offer than Phil in a solo setting which factually means HES A A more interesting musician). Phil made the dead more interesting cause he played more like a lead player than the traditional bass note boring bass player. Let's not confuse that bass greatness with greatful dead greatness (as was pointed out with peeps seeing dead for Jer and Bob tandem and rightfully so).
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds