• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Furthur -vs- Phil Lesh & Friends

#213709 1 year, 8 months ago
gdrew817 wrote:
Bob eluded to it tonight on the webcast
Which webcast and where? Maybe it's still possible to listen to it.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#213717 1 year, 8 months ago
Personally i have never been a bobby fan then he got me to come to the bobby side during the furthur shows.Said it once will say it again phil and friends is just more fun more open and had a better vibe.Bobby yeah he s great at what he does as they all are but i m telling ya i had alot more fun at p&f.I ve had just as much fun at furthur shows.However over the course of the last 3 yrs it seemed in my opinion that furthur had become maybe stale is nt the right word but something along those lines same songs all the time or alot of repeats so to speak not that i am complaining but there were how many versions of althea or the wheel,birdsong more than a few.Then phil and them did it but they were different tempos different versions of the same song all that but had more fun with phil and got off on the added interaction of the band.No 1 wants to compare well i will lol p&f was alot more fun than furthur has been in awhile.Bobby sucks and ratdog is shit.Bet that would stir up some shit.i like ratdogs jazzy feel and i like boobys ha s and flubs i like it all much love to them all.Please just let there be songs to fill the air!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, wharfrat71
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#213742 1 year, 8 months ago
Let me give this one more try. Any band that Phil plays in, is my favorite band. I don't want to marry either band, but if Phil is playing bass, I do want to spend the night with (either of) them. We have all discussed the differences between P&F and Furthur. Perhaps they are different but equal. Or people can choose to like one over the other. Whatever. As for me, let there be Phil to fill the air!
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by nycdave. Reason: Spellin issues
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, i_be_sublime, wharfrat71
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#213755 1 year, 8 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
bxorain wrote:
Therefore to compare is to make judgement on some level.
I don't think it is judgment, but it certainly is to be human.

bxorain wrote:
No thanks, I'd rather enjoy what they offer, free of judgement.
Then why come into a thread such as this? If that is your goal and aspiration, that's cool. Peace be with it. For those who don't share your perspective, they discuss things such as this. They desire to discuss things like this. Don't like. Don't read. And I don't say that in a confrontational or flippant tone. I don't know why you'd purposely enter a realm that irritates you. Not good for you. Not good for others.
I believe she was in the realm before it took off like that.Just sayin
DarrylStingley
Junior Boarder

#213762 1 year, 8 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
How did you folks react to the part in The GD Movie when Jerry talks about throwing Phil down a set of stairs because it wasn't good enough (to his in-the-moment experience)? Did it really bother you? Or did you see a person who was a hard worker, who had great expectations, and who wanted something specific out of his band and experience. I guess what I'm saying is that this misconception of a mystical hippie-dippie lovefest doesn't speak to the beautiful truth of the situation.

Careful Zeno this is what has gotten me flamed on this board. I made a comment weeks back as tour was going on in the setlist threads that I was tired of reading every night "greatest show ever" or "great setlist" I mean it can't be both EVERY night. To appreciate the truely deserving epic or great shows you have to be able to acknowledge that every show is NOT the greatest. Further if you dare express an unpopular opinion like I did the other night that Mountains of the Moon sux the Hippy-dippy love festers go on the attack like a pack of wolves... hey man you just don't get the music..... or its Phil man its awesome... I saw some weak GD shows, alot of average shows..some above average ..some A's and some beyond any description. Its the nature of improv. I'm sure some folks here wouldn't ever think Jerry could throw Phil down the stairs (incidentally it was 2-14-68). Lastly Zeno i enjoy your posts..thanks for "keepin it real"

I agree that not every show is the GREATEST EVER. That said, I thought Furthur was smoking hot this summer and that this P&F version is also. My point is that there are times when all of their shows are B+ or better and I think we happen to be in one of those lucky periods. I didn't listen to any of the Furthur shows this fall from the West Coast so I can't speak to that.

Still, your point about being able to say "that show was good, not great," is a fair one. I also "get" the music but there have been nights -- including one of the early Beacon shows last Spring -- when I think they are flat or just not as good as they can be.

I haven't seen a "weak" show though. Even when Bobby was wasted at Best Buy a few years ago, it was still a pretty enjoyable night. Then again, I was pretty wasted too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime, wharfrat71
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#213785 1 year, 8 months ago
All I Know is if Furthur or Phil and Friends were playing tonight and I was going, I would be equally excited. I just love them both
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave, DarrylStingley, wharfrat71
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#213796 1 year, 8 months ago
I love Furthur , don't get me wrong.
But, Phil and Phriends jam way more than Furthur does,Furthur is "Dead by Numbers"
You never see Phil and Phriends playing off a setlist, much more exploratory
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#213945 1 year, 8 months ago
Hey DenverMan, today was a beautiful day in Seattle, hope you got to enjoy the sunny day and see some of the landscape. The grey gets to ya man, especially someone from CO who gets 300 days of sunshine a year.

I just wanted to comment on the repeats, and I made this comment in an earlier discussion. I saw 11 shows this year and looking back that included 4 Scarlet > Fires (TXR, MCU, Edgefield, Greek). All were great.

Should I complain that I saw that 4 times an not some other songs that night. Hell NO, cause I only saw my favorite song pairing 4 times the whole freakin year. I could see hearing that tune every night!!! Though I like plenty of other songs too and wouldnt want that per se.

I guess I am not too concerned about hearing repeats, casue they are always so good and the band always seem to bring energy to each time they play them.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#214030 1 year, 8 months ago
Furthur is Phil and Friends with bob Weir. Both bands really are Phil and Friends. I think Phil being in both groups pretty much evens out the "fight"
So when are the two bands fighting?
I got 5 grand on Furthur
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by iraqistatefair.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#214043 1 year, 8 months ago
Denver Man, apologies for misunderstanding the ingredients of your posts (I read your response before the fuck it edit).
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
DarrylStingley
Junior Boarder

#214155 1 year, 8 months ago
Thinking about this some more.....I like this current P&F more, a lot more, because I much prefer spot lighting JG and JK on vocals and in general than having Bobby dominate as much as he does with Furthur.

But I love love love love love love love both.

The only thing I don't love about both is that assholes talk incessantly during shows.

Other than that, it's pure pleasure.....
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#214263 1 year, 8 months ago
DarrylStingley wrote:

But I love love love love love love love both.

The only thing I don't love about both is that assholes talk incessantly during shows.

Other than that, it's pure pleasure.....

AMEN to that brother!!!
Time to create page: 1.07 seconds