• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Furthur -vs- Phil Lesh & Friends

#213083 1 year, 11 months ago
I don't think its a matter of who's better but what your into. I think this band is great and I'm loving every second, lots of stuff you would never get with Furthur. from my perspective it seems Phil & Friends tends to be more of a rocking and jammed out band where as Bob always brings more of a laid back and spacey kind of vibe.

if I had to choose id probably choose Furthur - but why even consider? - their both great and I couldn't be enjoying the ride anymore!

edit - by "why even consider?" I'm only reefering to me.... not meant as "why even consider having this conversation" cause it is a good conversation
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#213108 1 year, 11 months ago
deadegad wrote:
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Phil and Friends is my lover, Furthur is my wife

The comparison being that new loves get you all hot but the passion will eventually wear thin, the wife is for the long haul.

Thank you General Patraeus! We did not know you were a fan. LOL!

LOL
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#213124 1 year, 11 months ago
bxorain wrote:
If you enjoy the moment by being in the moment and not engaging in mind comparisons you'll see it for what it is and enjoy the beauty of it. Go easy brother
Yes seems to me an argument could be said about all of it but love your opinion.Only saw furthur like 38 times and have only seen phil and friends twice now.I had more fun at the phil and friends to be honest.I have said recently that i would pay double for phil BUT that i may have been a lil furthured out.The best part of the phils shows to be honest was just the joy and fun they were having.I mean first night phil was jumping round teling jokes and smiling ear from ear,not sure i ever saw phil have that much fun.Jackie greene putting his hat on jeff chimenti and jeff just killing it and smiling either they were all having alot of fun,or they were all tripping!I guess long story short watching the fun of the band was the fun of the show for me.Furthur never seems to have that sort of like comaraderie.More of an ok let s do this attitude with furthur.But god lovem all and keep the music coming!!!!!!!!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#213125 1 year, 11 months ago
Have you had a look at Mrs. Petraeus? I don't want to be unkind but she was a career move. ..... Daughter of general at West Point....

Please DO NOT compare Mrs. Petraeus with Furthur. ; )
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#213127 1 year, 11 months ago
not sure what that comparison would even be but as an afterthought i also thought jk just crushed the stella blue!!!!
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#213129 1 year, 11 months ago
That's really cool to hear about them having a good time on stage, and agree that it enhances the experience as an audience member when you know the boys are having fun.

Reminds me of all the '72 tapes where they all joke around with the audience and are engaged. Or the 77 Dicks Pick where at the end of "Dupree's" Phil walks up to the mic and says "That's a true story folks".

I too wish we could get more engagement at the just friendly basic level from the band. I appreciated seeing Sunshine walk around the GA floor at the SB Bowl show, or in my one lucky experience at TXR having Phil eat dessert with us. The whole "rock star" thing doesnt work for me at all, they are just regular people who happen to be excellent musicians. So like talk to us every once in awhile. LOL.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#213134 1 year, 11 months ago
To me when you insert- vs- you now have become two sided.
and if i learned one thing in life there is more to it than black or white,
also as a longtime head why wouldn't you want a little different flavor
wouldn't the same meal become a chore to swallow,

All i know is what i know, i will keep on coming as long as my ears may hear.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#213137 1 year, 11 months ago
PL&F have the luxury of playing much smaller, more intimate venues. That's a big plus for me as well. Scrambling for tickets and then ending up in these mid-sized sports venues that sound like crap isn't as fun. Don't get me wrong. It's better than football stadiums and watching an ant colony do work on stage. One of the sacrifices of going from PL&F to Furthur was 2-3000 people to 7-12000 people joints. It's been an adjustment.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#213154 1 year, 11 months ago
I prefer the one where Phils sings the least.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blues_Power
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#213155 1 year, 11 months ago
newyawker wrote:
not I
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#213174 1 year, 11 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
newyawker wrote:
not I

i've got to agree with newyawker. i love it when Phil sings his own songs, but not so much when he sings Jerry songs. the one exception is "Bird Song", which really surprises me. i never thought i'd like Phil singing a sacred Jerry song like "Bird Song", but for some reason it works.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

#213177 1 year, 11 months ago
Stick-man-dancing-animated-gif.gif

I can sum this up in a sentence, I have seen every single piano player er organist, oh heck just call 'em Key Personnel in the line up over the years from 1970 till today and I still can't call out a Fave. Well maybe two sentences, so that begs the question which is the better band, thats like asking which gooey fudgy brownie is better cuz some one changed the sugar or butter content by one tea spoon. Can't be done. They are all great in their own way. Nuff said. On with the show and don't forget to
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds