• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

Re: Furthur -vs- Phil Lesh & Friends

#212824 1 year, 9 months ago
Yeah man, that is the Orpheum, caught a 3 run show in the same seat, 3rd row. Loved every moment! Ever been there?
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#212835 1 year, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
zeno marx--are you a musician?
An ex-drummer who could read a bit of sheet music (probably looks more confusing than Cyrillic at this point). So, no, I'm not a musician. Just someone who loves sound, sounds, and isn't instrument-centric. In other words, I'm just as interested in Hans Bennink ripping into a set of pots or Zakir Hussain manipulating the tabla as I am with John Bonham getting all lyrical with his kit; even more the case with the guitar, because I've never been one who is into solos or basic language. It's why I really like the way the Japanese interpret the guitar into so many different animals.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#212874 1 year, 9 months ago
bxorain wrote:
If you enjoy the moment by being in the moment and not engaging in mind comparisons you'll see it for what it is and enjoy the beauty of it. Go easy brother

It's inevitable that JK is compared to Jerry though as HE'S PLAYING JERRY PARTS ON JERRY SONGS ! He actually plays the Jerry role more than the other guys who've stepped into that spot whereas Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes did their own thing for the most part.

P&F and Furthur are two Dead cover bands. Let's be honest. So, to ask which one is better is a totally legit question. I bet everyone who's listened to both has an opinion on this. AND IT'S OK !
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#212898 1 year, 9 months ago
No question about it: Furthur. I just listened to last nights show and although it is o.k. its no furthur. What most people say is more experimentalism I hear as rough, like a garage band.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#212931 1 year, 9 months ago
mtnhead wrote:
P&F and Furthur are two Dead cover bands. Let's be honest. So, to ask which one is better is a totally legit question. I bet everyone who's listened to both has an opinion on this. AND IT'S OK !
Okay, I'll be honest. I don't think either are Dead cover bands when they're playing GD-written, and GD-arranged traditionals, but at their worst, they are cover bands of classic rock radio when they fill time with songs their contemporaries wrote. This is going to sound harsh, but even when said without malice, saying Phil, Bob, Phil/Bob, Bill, or Mickey are playing in cover bands because they're playing songs they helped create, hone, and grow is both derogatory and a shortcut to thinking. I enjoy the JGB about 1/20th as much as the GD, so I'm more than comfortable putting my head on the block like that.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
DeadlyDan
Junior Boarder
Life's a grave, dig it

#212976 1 year, 9 months ago
Just gotta say: what about "Reflections" or "Cats Under the Stars". Not saying I like JGB more than The Dead, Furthur, Phil+ or Ratdog, but those are phenomanal albums that should be in any heads arsenal. Again, no hard feelings just saying.
Sometimes the songs that Weir
are just songs of our own
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by DeadlyDan.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#213005 1 year, 9 months ago
bxorain--yeah, that's how i recognized it. i was there for the 3 furthur shows in sp 11

zenomarx--cool. i like your deep understanding of music. i knew you had to have at some point played something. you going to NYE?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
floepiejane
Junior Boarder

#213011 1 year, 9 months ago
Larry's definitely alpha.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#213028 1 year, 9 months ago
Phil and Friends is my lover, Furthur is my wife

The comparison being that new loves get you all hot but the passion will eventually wear thin, the wife is for the long haul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#213067 1 year, 9 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
I like Jackie Greene with Phil, but I've also seen him get overconfident and rambunctious to the point of being entirely disruptive. Maybe he's matured since 2007, and this wouldn't be the case again. His songs are also generally good, so that's another plus for him. And he doesn't look confused or outclassed musically like Chris Robinson often does, so I like that about him as well. When it is time to improvise, which is the main component of why I like this music, Greene can bring something worthwhile to the table. He may not be a top-level choice, but he's solidly competent.

Why does everyone hater on Chris?? Dudes got some serious soul, his Brahski ripped the strings so he never had to, but I feel he is improving. He is best when singing Pig Pens tunes when guesting with Dead Fam. Give CRB a listen they are really hot righ now.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#213079 1 year, 9 months ago
Like I said, I really enjoy these conversations. I dont really think there are any "answers" in these discussions, rather a lot of interesting opinions and thoughts on music.

I absolutely feel that any hate directed towards musicians that do not fill your ears with what YOU EXPECTED is way off base. It's their creativity and feel and telling them that's not right............well..............is not right. Now if the musician is just self-absorbed in their own thing and not really playing for the audience, then that is a problem too.

The stay in the moment comments really apply. Go, listen, and enjoy. Or if you dont enjoy, dont go. But dont go, listen, not enjoy and then tell everyone you didnt like it.

JK vs JG - no love in that conversation, no reason to compare. Differentiate is another thing, and ok as long as it does not lead to which one is "better".

Finally, I think Zenomarx has it right...............Furthur and PL&F are not cover bands since they each contain musicians that created the music in the first place. And I think this can be taken in a broader more liberal context and say that any band that plays music other then their own is not a cover band per se. Just like the Boston Pops or NY Philharminic are not cover bands.

Its what you do with it, that music. Some bands try and replicate the sounds of an album, thats covering a tune. But a band that is willing to mold it to their style, while not THEIR music, has added enough of their own stuff to make it something other then a cover.

Simply put for me, when I saw DSO for the first time in 2008, my attitude completely changed. All the expectations that had built up during my run (79-95) were gone and I just enjoyed the music. Now I like to hear all sorts of musicians pplay the GD's music.........and its great.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Griff.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#213081 1 year, 9 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Phil and Friends is my lover, Furthur is my wife

The comparison being that new loves get you all hot but the passion will eventually wear thin, the wife is for the long haul.

Thank you General Patraeus! We did not know you were a fan. LOL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds