• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

Re: Furthur -vs- Phil Lesh & Friends

#213588 1 year, 11 months ago
All I can say is that I have never had a bad time at a single phil and friends or furthur show... I would have to say that

I love Phil and friends because of the revolving lineup... He always has world class musicians and even though Bobby isnt there, as long as there is a Bob tune or two it still feels like the good ol GD. Last nights second set at Roseland was a 1977 dream set and it really really felt like that is as close as I will ever get to what it was like in 1977.. Yeah Jackie didnt belt out Estimated like Bobby, but that didnt make it any less beautiful, enjoyable or special for me... Jackie did do an amazing amazing amazing job on the let it grow... It was incredible!!! I had no idea he could pull it off anywhere close to that. And Since I missed the wellmont shows I was really glad to hear Jackie go for it again at the Roseland..
Stole my face--- Always do, its a guarantee
But my first Phil show was in 06 and I hadnt seen phil and friends since then until this year. (17 shows) So I can only speak for the shows if seen this year which were all top notch, there have been so many different musicians in this band throughout the years, but the tapes ive heard have always been good.

Furthur feels like the good ol GD as well and having Bobby and Phil together cant be beat... There is nothing like seeing them together on stage the energy is hard to miss!!! The sound is TIMELESS! When seeing Furthur, I enjoy it just as much as Phil and friends and its really hard to compare the two for me. They both make me smile from before I go to the show till FOREVER!!! And yeah sure Bobby can fumble some lyrics from time to time, (not lately at all) but it doesnt matter thats Bobby and I love him. Being at a Furthur show obviously feels a little more like a gd concert would feel (because of Bobby) but both groups are a godsend and are playing for the tribes just like the gd did. Also, both groups have the most incredible setlists, completly mind blowing sets, set after set after set.........

And thats why I do this
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, wharfrat71
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#213598 1 year, 11 months ago
Furthur had so much potential but I find it to be VERY stale and the songs just don't pack much punch for me. It seems this must just be a Bobby thing, the 1/2 pace Strangers, Music Never Stopped, Other Ones, Estimated, etc..Just drives me crazy. I've really been waiting for JK to be more assertive and I feel like with Phil and Friends he's sounding just worlds better. Really hope they take some of this incredible energy from the Phil run and bring it to SF for NYE!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71
gdrew817
Junior Boarder
All I Leave Behind Me Is Only What I Found

#213604 1 year, 11 months ago
Wow. I'm surprised to be reading all of this negative stuff about Bobby.

I've listened to the Phil streams the last few nights and the music sounds good, obviously, but it sounds "emptier" to me than Furthur. You don't have bobby playing all the unique chord sequences and directing traffic through the songs. Bobby songs were written for his voice --- I didn't think estimated or playing in the band, let it grow, sounded very good last night at all. JK is playing much more reserved -- which is a huge negative. Loved Stanley Jordan though.

I'm a Bobby fan -- he was a HUGE part of the GD with his songwriting and playing. Seeing the bashing here saying his songs now lack tempo (after people were just raving about Furthurs last tour) think is a shame. Bob blowing the first line of a verse has been happening for decades.

Go watch the Jerry Birthday bash at Tri Studios --- Days between was unreal because of the emotion and musicianship and experience he brings to each song. I saw Jackie and Bob at Bella this past summer, was cool. But seriously Jackie Greene a talented dude will never be or reach the musical greatness of Bob Weir.

Thanks for listening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, wharfrat71
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#213605 1 year, 11 months ago
gdrew817 wrote:

I've listened to the Phil streams the last few nights and the music sounds good, obviously, but it sounds "emptier" to me than Furthur. You don't have bobby playing all the unique chord sequences and directing traffic through the songs. Bobby songs were written for his voice --- I didn't think estimated or playing in the band, let it grow, sounded very good last night at all. JK is playing much more reserved -- which is a huge negative. Loved Stanley Jordan though.

I'm a Bobby fan -- he was a HUGE part of the GD with his songwriting and playing. Seeing the bashing here saying his songs now lack tempo (after people were just raving about Furthurs last tour) think is a shame. Bob blowing the first line of a verse has been happening for decades.

Go watch the Jerry Birthday bash at Tri Studios --- Days between was unreal because of the emotion and musicianship and experience he brings to each song. I saw Jackie and Bob at Bella this past summer, was cool. But seriously Jackie Greene a talented dude will never be or reach the musical greatness of Bob Weir.

Thanks for listening.

From my perspective I'm definitely not "bashing" Bobby. He is obviously choosing to play tunes at a slower temp, that much is a fact. I for one, just miss having some more drive to the music and wish he would add some punh to his tunes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, wharfrat71
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#213606 1 year, 11 months ago
^^^ Where were you over the summer and fall tours?
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#213608 1 year, 11 months ago
I guess a clear division is forming ... much like republicans and democrats ... the American way I suppose
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#213609 1 year, 11 months ago
Why the comparison??

It's like comparing your 2 favorite kinds of ice cream, they both please your taste buds, just in different ways
-- smell every flower --
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1, direwolflove222
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#213617 1 year, 11 months ago
That's what happens when you compare things, eventually some form of negativity comes out. At one point I to used to get caught up in the "Booby moments" as well and then I realized something - who the hell am I to come to a show and expect everyone to be flawless? That was the intent of my original comment, it's easy to get caught up in comparing people and expecting perfection but all that comes of it is missing the magic of the moment. I'd rather enjoy every aspect of every show. All these cats are perfect to me and I make a point of enjoying the beauty they express on stage...life's more enjoyable without resistance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1, direwolflove222
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#213619 1 year, 11 months ago
gdrew817 wrote:

Denver Man wrote:
I guess a clear division is forming ... much like republicans and democrats ... the American way I suppose
You fellas must be reading a different conversation than I am. Or maybe I'm insensitive or you're overly sensitive. There's been a scarce, truly negative comment the whole time. A couple of sentences? A couple of sentences amongst larger posts mapping out likes, dislikes, preferences, and things that take each poster to that level they desire to experience. I see all this as healthy.

How did you folks react to the part in The GD Movie when Jerry talks about throwing Phil down a set of stairs because it wasn't good enough (to his in-the-moment experience)? Did it really bother you? Or did you see a person who was a hard worker, who had great expectations, and who wanted something specific out of his band and experience. I guess what I'm saying is that this misconception of a mystical hippie-dippie lovefest doesn't speak to the beautiful truth of the situation. Real life stuff happening to balance out the otherworldly stuff so we could actually recognize the otherworldly as otherworldly. Balance. Differing perspectives. Life. Nature. Greatness.

I don't get it. I'm not sure I can imagine the conversation you want to see. If people didn't discuss, and even argue, art, what good would the art be? How good could the art be if it didn't incite things within us? Things we hopefully share and express so we can educate and learn.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griff, wharfrat71
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#213622 1 year, 11 months ago
Dude, Jerry could say anything he wanted to anyone in the band and vice versa for all band members...why....because they ARE the band. We're NOT the band. They know each other intimately and have the same common goal...we have no clue. We have absolutely no clue. Therefore to compare is to make judgement on some level. No thanks, I'd rather enjoy what they offer, free of judgement.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds