• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
stricken
Gold Boarder

Re: Furthur -vs- Phil Lesh & Friends

#213134 1 year, 5 months ago
To me when you insert- vs- you now have become two sided.
and if i learned one thing in life there is more to it than black or white,
also as a longtime head why wouldn't you want a little different flavor
wouldn't the same meal become a chore to swallow,

All i know is what i know, i will keep on coming as long as my ears may hear.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#213137 1 year, 5 months ago
PL&F have the luxury of playing much smaller, more intimate venues. That's a big plus for me as well. Scrambling for tickets and then ending up in these mid-sized sports venues that sound like crap isn't as fun. Don't get me wrong. It's better than football stadiums and watching an ant colony do work on stage. One of the sacrifices of going from PL&F to Furthur was 2-3000 people to 7-12000 people joints. It's been an adjustment.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#213154 1 year, 5 months ago
I prefer the one where Phils sings the least.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blues_Power
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#213155 1 year, 5 months ago
newyawker wrote:
not I
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#213174 1 year, 5 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
newyawker wrote:
not I

i've got to agree with newyawker. i love it when Phil sings his own songs, but not so much when he sings Jerry songs. the one exception is "Bird Song", which really surprises me. i never thought i'd like Phil singing a sacred Jerry song like "Bird Song", but for some reason it works.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

#213177 1 year, 5 months ago
Stick-man-dancing-animated-gif.gif

I can sum this up in a sentence, I have seen every single piano player er organist, oh heck just call 'em Key Personnel in the line up over the years from 1970 till today and I still can't call out a Fave. Well maybe two sentences, so that begs the question which is the better band, thats like asking which gooey fudgy brownie is better cuz some one changed the sugar or butter content by one tea spoon. Can't be done. They are all great in their own way. Nuff said. On with the show and don't forget to
bxorain
Junior Boarder

#213309 1 year, 5 months ago
I love all these cats and everything they bring to the table. Chris, Jackie, Phil, Bob....they're all sweet musicians in their own way and it's not really very interesting to me to compare them. Also, just my feeling but you can't have a founder member of a band perform their music and call them a cover band. It's the real deal, it just evolves in different ways. Cover bands get paid to cover the original material as closely as possible...kinda the oppoosite of taking it furthur. Going to the Port Chester Thursday and Friday!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71
wharfrat71
Junior Boarder

#213444 1 year, 5 months ago
Hang on....To me, 'versus' doesn't really mean "Who do you like better?". Rather just a fun discussion about the differences between the two bands. Thanks everyone for all the great comments, I didn't expect this kind of response! I think JK just knows when to step back when there is a special guest (especially Lukas) and let them do their thing. Also, it seems for whatever reason, JK seems to play more lead guitar and rolling scales with P&F. He plays the GD songs with Furthur in a more traditional way (all the trademark notes in the right places, etc.) Maybe Bobby likes it that way, I dunno. I also like hearing John sing Black Peter. P&F will never play Money For Gasoline! aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! WEIR so lucky to have all this timeless music. Thanks again for the huge response, lots of good viewpoints. I can't wait for the new years run!
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#213468 1 year, 5 months ago
I LOVE BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE BUS CAME BY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded, kevin, wharfrat71
wharfrat71
Junior Boarder

#213484 1 year, 5 months ago
Sometimes P&F play songs with different arrangement, which I dig. But sometimes they do songs in a weird key, that to me, takes the life out of a few numbers. Furthur usually plays the songs in the original key they were written in. Having said that, I don't think that either band is a cover band. And as for comparing Phil & Bobby (Who's the better player?) All I can say is that they are both masters at their instruments in their own way!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Still Takin it Weirder
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds