• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: Furthur -vs- Phil Lesh & Friends

#213028 1 year, 8 months ago
Phil and Friends is my lover, Furthur is my wife

The comparison being that new loves get you all hot but the passion will eventually wear thin, the wife is for the long haul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#213067 1 year, 8 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
I like Jackie Greene with Phil, but I've also seen him get overconfident and rambunctious to the point of being entirely disruptive. Maybe he's matured since 2007, and this wouldn't be the case again. His songs are also generally good, so that's another plus for him. And he doesn't look confused or outclassed musically like Chris Robinson often does, so I like that about him as well. When it is time to improvise, which is the main component of why I like this music, Greene can bring something worthwhile to the table. He may not be a top-level choice, but he's solidly competent.

Why does everyone hater on Chris?? Dudes got some serious soul, his Brahski ripped the strings so he never had to, but I feel he is improving. He is best when singing Pig Pens tunes when guesting with Dead Fam. Give CRB a listen they are really hot righ now.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#213079 1 year, 8 months ago
Like I said, I really enjoy these conversations. I dont really think there are any "answers" in these discussions, rather a lot of interesting opinions and thoughts on music.

I absolutely feel that any hate directed towards musicians that do not fill your ears with what YOU EXPECTED is way off base. It's their creativity and feel and telling them that's not right............well..............is not right. Now if the musician is just self-absorbed in their own thing and not really playing for the audience, then that is a problem too.

The stay in the moment comments really apply. Go, listen, and enjoy. Or if you dont enjoy, dont go. But dont go, listen, not enjoy and then tell everyone you didnt like it.

JK vs JG - no love in that conversation, no reason to compare. Differentiate is another thing, and ok as long as it does not lead to which one is "better".

Finally, I think Zenomarx has it right...............Furthur and PL&F are not cover bands since they each contain musicians that created the music in the first place. And I think this can be taken in a broader more liberal context and say that any band that plays music other then their own is not a cover band per se. Just like the Boston Pops or NY Philharminic are not cover bands.

Its what you do with it, that music. Some bands try and replicate the sounds of an album, thats covering a tune. But a band that is willing to mold it to their style, while not THEIR music, has added enough of their own stuff to make it something other then a cover.

Simply put for me, when I saw DSO for the first time in 2008, my attitude completely changed. All the expectations that had built up during my run (79-95) were gone and I just enjoyed the music. Now I like to hear all sorts of musicians pplay the GD's music.........and its great.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by Griff.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#213081 1 year, 8 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:

The comparison being that new loves get you all hot but the passion will eventually wear thin, the wife is for the long haul.

Thank you General Patraeus! We did not know you were a fan. LOL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#213083 1 year, 8 months ago
I don't think its a matter of who's better but what your into. I think this band is great and I'm loving every second, lots of stuff you would never get with Furthur. from my perspective it seems Phil & Friends tends to be more of a rocking and jammed out band where as Bob always brings more of a laid back and spacey kind of vibe.

if I had to choose id probably choose Furthur - but why even consider? - their both great and I couldn't be enjoying the ride anymore!

edit - by "why even consider?" I'm only reefering to me.... not meant as "why even consider having this conversation" cause it is a good conversation
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#213108 1 year, 8 months ago
deadegad wrote:
Terrapin Sedation wrote:

Thank you General Patraeus! We did not know you were a fan. LOL!

LOL
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#213124 1 year, 8 months ago
bxorain wrote:
If you enjoy the moment by being in the moment and not engaging in mind comparisons you'll see it for what it is and enjoy the beauty of it. Go easy brother
Yes seems to me an argument could be said about all of it but love your opinion.Only saw furthur like 38 times and have only seen phil and friends twice now.I had more fun at the phil and friends to be honest.I have said recently that i would pay double for phil BUT that i may have been a lil furthured out.The best part of the phils shows to be honest was just the joy and fun they were having.I mean first night phil was jumping round teling jokes and smiling ear from ear,not sure i ever saw phil have that much fun.Jackie greene putting his hat on jeff chimenti and jeff just killing it and smiling either they were all having alot of fun,or they were all tripping!I guess long story short watching the fun of the band was the fun of the show for me.Furthur never seems to have that sort of like comaraderie.More of an ok let s do this attitude with furthur.But god lovem all and keep the music coming!!!!!!!!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#213125 1 year, 8 months ago
Have you had a look at Mrs. Petraeus? I don't want to be unkind but she was a career move. ..... Daughter of general at West Point....

Please DO NOT compare Mrs. Petraeus with Furthur. ; )
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#213127 1 year, 8 months ago
not sure what that comparison would even be but as an afterthought i also thought jk just crushed the stella blue!!!!
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#213129 1 year, 8 months ago
That's really cool to hear about them having a good time on stage, and agree that it enhances the experience as an audience member when you know the boys are having fun.

Reminds me of all the '72 tapes where they all joke around with the audience and are engaged. Or the 77 Dicks Pick where at the end of "Dupree's" Phil walks up to the mic and says "That's a true story folks".

I too wish we could get more engagement at the just friendly basic level from the band. I appreciated seeing Sunshine walk around the GA floor at the SB Bowl show, or in my one lucky experience at TXR having Phil eat dessert with us. The whole "rock star" thing doesnt work for me at all, they are just regular people who happen to be excellent musicians. So like talk to us every once in awhile. LOL.
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds