• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

Re: If I was president

#212688 1 year, 11 months ago
dougieisirie wrote:
Then how do you explain all of the red states that have a higher percentage of people on Food Stamps?

chartsbin.com/view/1403

where do i get me some foodstamps ?
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#213071 1 year, 11 months ago
Is there somthing funny about families not having enough food ???

www.wkbw.com/video/Non-Profits-Tackle-Fo...iving-179024221.html

might want to tackle somthing worth disscusing.....like:

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
~Napoleon Bonaparte
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#213077 1 year, 11 months ago
Nothing is funny about what's going on. In fact, it's pretty damn dark.

But, If I were president, I'd distract everyone with sex scandals in the CIA.
sweetwilliamisdead
Junior Boarder

#213087 1 year, 11 months ago
ecojaded wrote:

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
~Napoleon Bonaparte

I like this quote and it definetly has some value but i think its more an issue of social structure and culture than religion that can be pointed to as the source that allows oppression, stratification and the like to flourish. every known human society accepts and practices some form of religion that can be paralleled with other religions through certain traits, even in hunter gatherer societies where rich and poor are not an issue because the accumultaion of wealth is not culturally valued. The fundamental problem with our society is that the market rules everything, nothing is valued over the accumulation of wealth and power. I think religion can and is sometimes used as a means of control and justification for unethical actions, but it is a great injustice to the masses of people who practice religion in a way which helps them grow and be more benevolent to the rest of humanity to say that religion is the focal point of what allows these things to go on. It is an issue of persons distorting religous reason to meet their own interests that lead to religion having negative outcomes, rarely is it because the overall ethical and moral teachings of a religion are malicious or malevolent. although many religious texts do encourage sometimes practices which were in their context socially acceptable which are now irrelevant, supplanted by science, or considered unaccepted in society; but it is noteworthy that those texts were written by people. I can say these things as an agnostic that went to church for my whole childhood in the south and has taken the time to gain at least a passing knowledge of many of the world religions in an academic setting, and i would say that the majority of religious action used with pure objectivity has done a lot of good in the world.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#213091 1 year, 11 months ago
^^^^^^^^^^^^
thank you, always love when the "thinkers" come to the sandbox. That qoute is a little outdated, but I felt it fitting. Sweetwilliamheisdead hits the nail on the head again and again.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#213095 1 year, 11 months ago
sweetwilliam makes some good point. one could argue that music, and more specifically, grateful dead music, is a religion. religion = spirituality at its core, not dogma. "religion" has become a dirty word on par with conservative, capitalist, wealthy, white man.

very bad people use our core societal principals against us as weapons to pit one group of people against another for personal gain. there is a special place in hell for these sorts.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#213102 1 year, 11 months ago
If I were President I would have some Good 'Ole GD on my iPod, uh, just like, the current President.

Bill Clinton comes from a Red State. Just sayin'.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#213103 1 year, 11 months ago
mtnhead wrote:
sweetwilliam makes some good point. one could argue that music, and more specifically, grateful dead music, is a religion. religion = spirituality at its core, not dogma. "religion" has become a dirty word on par with conservative, capitalist, wealthy, white man.

very bad people use our core societal principals against us as weapons to pit one group of people against another for personal gain. there is a special place in hell for these sorts.

You forgot to put "old" in front of white man...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#213158 1 year, 11 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
mtnhead wrote:

You forgot to put "old" in front of white man...

Thanks. Absolutely. My bad, although, you know, those young white men will be old someday
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#213159 1 year, 11 months ago
deadegad wrote:
If I were President I would have some Good 'Ole GD on my iPod, uh, just like, the current President.

Bill Clinton comes from a Red State. Just sayin'.

Wonder how many shows Obama's been to ? Don't see many black folk at Dead shows. Does that mean, OMG, DeadHeads are .... RACIST ? The horror !
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds