• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DaddyDead
Junior Boarder

Donna Jean & The Dead

#21145 3 years, 5 months ago
Ok.... Watching 70's footage and fantasizing about a Dead Tour in 2012 with Donna Jean !!!! What do we need to do to make this happen (with some Midwest dates)?
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by DaddyDead.
reb
Visitor

Re: Donna Jean & The Dead

#21162 3 years, 5 months ago
I am so very fond of Donna. My favorite GD years are the Donna years. I first followed the dead because I was impressed with Donna. I was a donna-head long before I discovered that Jerry was in the band too.

My sweet donna added so much to tunes like Playin', Dancin', St Stephen and Row Jimmy. In fact she made Barton Hall '77 the spectacular show that it is. The chemistry between her an Bobby was HOT that night.

I've said it before and got shouted down. I think you have fine taste DaddyDead!

I would LOVE to have her tour with Furthur in 2012 and I would travel to the mid-west for it too.

I could also be happy with her making a guest appearance with Furthur this summer at the Vibes!

www.archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

I like it when she does the announcment between shows on GDradio.net. Unc John plays alot of the donna years BTW.

edited for spelling!
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by .
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#21182 3 years, 5 months ago
I'll probably get slammed for this but, I'm sorry Donna just didn't do it for me. Maybe I've listened to the wrong tapes and such, but her voice was always too off for me. There were times i wished they just grabbed the mic from her and threw it in the audience.

PS I love you all!!!!
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#21194 3 years, 5 months ago
theres nothing wrong with whatever you lilked, some people liked her and some didn't. I always thought she sounded good, especially singing with Bob on Looks Like Rain and stuff like that.

I would rather not have a "Dead" tour if thats the question and if you mean with WH allthough they were still great, I just like Furthur a lot better. I think its unlikely for her to join Furthur but would love to see her special guest with them.....

Is Donna even at the Vibes this year?? I havn't seen her on their list......
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#21196 3 years, 5 months ago
she added so much to playin'?

all she did was shred the living hell out of your ears for 2-3 minutes out of a 20 min song.

sometimes when she comes in with those "dying cat yowls" on the end or fire or playin, its so loud and piercing that ive been startled to the point of jumping out of my chair

there really isnt much the band could do to really bum me out...i dont mind most of what people complain about, like bobs vocals on jerry ballads, tempo, jk's voice/sounding like jerry, etc etc...they could do most anything and id still go see the shows...but DONNA? good lord/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Justintime105
reb
Visitor

#21210 3 years, 5 months ago
I am always amazed when this topic arises and folks are either so passionately 'for' or 'against' Donna's contribution to the dead.

I can only say this to the naysayers, What do you think of Barton Hall '77. Was that a four star dead show that will live on forever as one of the very finest, or does it suck eggs, because donna was an integral vocal part that show.

I can also add this, whatever we think of her, she certainly participated in some of the very best early JGB shows. Jerry liked the way Donna sang fo sure. The Jerry Garcia Band Lineup in 1976:
Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
John Kahn - bass
Keith Godchaux - keyboards, vocals
Donna Godchaux - vocals
Ron Tutt - drums

No Donna is not at the vibes this year, nor is she a scheduled to be a special guest at any time, that stuff was just a fantasy perpetuated by me on this thread.

Jeff and Sunshine fill the bill perfectly and this donna loving is not meant to suggest otherwise.

I edit for spelling & grammer...
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by .
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#21211 3 years, 5 months ago
They should let my wife sing...she'll fucking blow it away!!
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
reb
Visitor

#21228 3 years, 5 months ago
now that is an awesome compliment to your wife. Do you guys have anything recoreded that I could give a listen?
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#21233 3 years, 5 months ago
when donna was on she was great , when she was off, she needed a monitor
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#21234 3 years, 5 months ago
She has something from a few years back that I will upload when I get home later this evening
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds