• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wharfrat71
Junior Boarder

Re: Music Interests Besides Furthur/Dead

#211876 1 year, 5 months ago
I'm sorry. I'm dumb with computers, this one isn't even mine. Still trying to figure out how to make my posts end up in the correct places. (about quick reply, quote, etc.) Just don't seem to be setup well. Or am I goofy? haha I'm just a deadhead wanting to reach out!
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#211898 1 year, 5 months ago
Widespread Panic, Allman Brothers, Cornmeal, Henhouse Prowlers, Shpongle, SCI and Lotus.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71
SugarMee
Expert Boarder
hay

#211936 1 year, 5 months ago
Dylan, the Airplane, Black Sabbath, Widespread Panic, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Breeders, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, XTC (&The Dukes of Stratosphear), REM, Frankie Goes To Hollywood

I like alot of dance music too. I'm not familiar with the wubbwubb dubstep tho..I do like alot of prog house and trance Moda, Kimball Collins, Paul Van Dyke, Sasha and John Digweed. Mark Farina is awesome jazzy deep house from mushroom jazz in San Francisco. I'm happy I got to see Sunshine and Moonbeam from DubTribe (also from SF) Rabbit in the Moon was alot of fun live

I like Barbara Streisand. Liza Minelli doing the cabaret is awesome!!
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#211940 1 year, 5 months ago
wharfrat71 wrote:
Great, love King Crimson
I don't care to talk music at concerts. I avoid such conversations. But I was caught by surprise in Madison last fall, and the person next to me started talking to me about Yes, Genesis, and maybe ELO. These are all bands I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy. No luck. I did REALLY enjoy the BBC's documentary on prog rock (check it out on YouTube), which leaned heavily on bands like Yes and Genesis, though. Anyway, I asked this person if they liked King Crimson because "I'm more of a King Crimson fan." Without missing a beat, they turned around and started talking to the stranger on the other side of them. I wasn't insulted. I found it funny in a "socialness - you can never figure it out." I've had other cold responses to King Crimson from Dead fans. Not anywhere near as odd to me as the disinterest in krautrock.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#211949 1 year, 5 months ago
anyone into Japanese psych? bands like Overhang Party, Suishou No Fune, People, Kawaguchi Masami's New Rock Syndicate, Shizuka, Aural Fit, Far Out/Far East Family Band etc? Been my newest fascination. I never went beyond Flower Travellin' Band, Taj Mahal Travellers, Takehisa Kosugi, Brast Burn, and the overall Japanese scene of the early 70s. I'm impressed with how many interesting guitar players come out of there. They probably won't appeal to the steadfast blues nut, but if you're interested in hearing great, unique improvisations, they might be something of interest for you.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#211985 1 year, 5 months ago
Giant stones fan from even before I got into the dead. Still love em. After them the Band, Allman Brothers, the Kinks, Beatles,
the Who. My guilty pleasure band is Aerosmith. Their early albums kick ass ..in fact way way back in the day the first mini tour I ever did was 4 Aerosmith shows in a row. Anything from 88 on with the exception of a few ..very few songs absolutely sux..including live. Up until the the last 5 yrs or so when live they have resorted to playing and rocking their older stuff more and being less a cheesy ballad band. Rumor ahem happens that this is when Tyler got back on the non sober bus. OK send in the flames but I prefer my rock stars partying.. not nodding out... but partying.

In a whole nother genre I am a huge Scofield fan.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

#212673 1 year, 5 months ago
dougieisirie
Junior Boarder

#212674 1 year, 5 months ago
Gov't Mule, Hot Tuna, Allman Brothers, just 3 of my favs.
"Some ask, why play Grateful Dead music??
For those that know, no answer is necessary,
For those that don't, no answer is possible."
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#212744 1 year, 5 months ago
I like "good music". Can be in any genre, really. I like music that requires a bit from the listener and requires the musicians to have some skill on their instruments and convey some soul in their playing. Make it take on a life of its own. Guess what I'm saying is I need to be "moved" by the music to want to hear it multiple times.

Examples of musicians/bands that meets this criteria:

Grateful Dead (and offshoot bands)
John Coltrane (post A Love Supreme)
Allman Brothers (pre Duane's death, see Fillmore East)
Pink Floyd (pre Roger Waters split)
The Band (Music From Big Pink)
Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti)

Adding:

Santana (Blues For Salvador for example)

Guilty pleasure:

Joe Walsh

Sadly, most of the music I listen to is 40 or more years old aside from the "cover bands" and jam bands playing the same style music today.

Here's a question: How many think that music is not as interesting today as it was 30, 40, 50 years ago and why not ? If you think it is then why ? Examples. No right or wrong answer to this just interesting to see what people think.
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by mtnhead.
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#212751 1 year, 5 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
wharfrat71 wrote:
Great, love King Crimson
I don't care to talk music at concerts. I avoid such conversations. But I was caught by surprise in Madison last fall, and the person next to me started talking to me about Yes, Genesis, and maybe ELO. These are all bands I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy. No luck. I did REALLY enjoy the BBC's documentary on prog rock (check it out on YouTube), which leaned heavily on bands like Yes and Genesis, though. Anyway, I asked this person if they liked King Crimson because "I'm more of a King Crimson fan." Without missing a beat, they turned around and started talking to the stranger on the other side of them. I wasn't insulted. I found it funny in a "socialness - you can never figure it out." I've had other cold responses to King Crimson from Dead fans. Not anywhere near as odd to me as the disinterest in krautrock.

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a very good album. Listenable far beyond one or two spins. Early Genesis when Peter Gabriel did most of the vocals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#212782 1 year, 5 months ago
mtnhead wrote:
Here's a question: How many think that music is not as interesting today as it was 30, 40, 50 years ago and why not ? If you think it is then why ? Examples. No right or wrong answer to this just interesting to see what people think.
This is so loaded with context that I almost cannot organize my thoughts. I'd nod a secure yes, except then I think about the Japanese music I mentioned above. I think about experimental music and noise from the 80s and 90s (Merzbow/Incapacitants, Zoviet France, Einleitungszeit, and so many more). I think about metal from the 80s (Slayer, DxRxIx, The Accused, VoiVod, Hirax, and so many more). I think of hardcore from the 90s (His Hero is Gone, Rorschach, No Comment, Man is the Bastard, and so many more). I guess if you're talking old styles of music, then I commonly prefer their origins. If you consider newer styles, developments, and hybrids, then I'm also a big fan of those genres as well. About the only genre of music that I think is as good as ever, but isn't a new development, is maybe folk music. I do have to admit that the 2000s have proven to be a real dead spot for music that I believe will have longstanding in my world; not a lot of bands or releases I think I'll be playing twenty years from now.

Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by ZenoMarx.
GratefulDad07
Fresh Boarder

#212887 1 year, 5 months ago
Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Black Flag, Converge, Phish, Devo, Talking Heads, Dylan, Stones, Warren Zevon, Stooges, SWANS
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds