• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

Re: Music Interests Besides Furthur/Dead

#212744 1 year, 11 months ago
I like "good music". Can be in any genre, really. I like music that requires a bit from the listener and requires the musicians to have some skill on their instruments and convey some soul in their playing. Make it take on a life of its own. Guess what I'm saying is I need to be "moved" by the music to want to hear it multiple times.

Examples of musicians/bands that meets this criteria:

Grateful Dead (and offshoot bands)
John Coltrane (post A Love Supreme)
Allman Brothers (pre Duane's death, see Fillmore East)
Pink Floyd (pre Roger Waters split)
The Band (Music From Big Pink)
Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti)

Adding:

Santana (Blues For Salvador for example)

Guilty pleasure:

Joe Walsh

Sadly, most of the music I listen to is 40 or more years old aside from the "cover bands" and jam bands playing the same style music today.

Here's a question: How many think that music is not as interesting today as it was 30, 40, 50 years ago and why not ? If you think it is then why ? Examples. No right or wrong answer to this just interesting to see what people think.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by mtnhead.
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#212751 1 year, 11 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
wharfrat71 wrote:
Great, love King Crimson
I don't care to talk music at concerts. I avoid such conversations. But I was caught by surprise in Madison last fall, and the person next to me started talking to me about Yes, Genesis, and maybe ELO. These are all bands I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy. No luck. I did REALLY enjoy the BBC's documentary on prog rock (check it out on YouTube), which leaned heavily on bands like Yes and Genesis, though. Anyway, I asked this person if they liked King Crimson because "I'm more of a King Crimson fan." Without missing a beat, they turned around and started talking to the stranger on the other side of them. I wasn't insulted. I found it funny in a "socialness - you can never figure it out." I've had other cold responses to King Crimson from Dead fans. Not anywhere near as odd to me as the disinterest in krautrock.

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a very good album. Listenable far beyond one or two spins. Early Genesis when Peter Gabriel did most of the vocals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#212782 1 year, 11 months ago
mtnhead wrote:
Here's a question: How many think that music is not as interesting today as it was 30, 40, 50 years ago and why not ? If you think it is then why ? Examples. No right or wrong answer to this just interesting to see what people think.
This is so loaded with context that I almost cannot organize my thoughts. I'd nod a secure yes, except then I think about the Japanese music I mentioned above. I think about experimental music and noise from the 80s and 90s (Merzbow/Incapacitants, Zoviet France, Einleitungszeit, and so many more). I think about metal from the 80s (Slayer, DxRxIx, The Accused, VoiVod, Hirax, and so many more). I think of hardcore from the 90s (His Hero is Gone, Rorschach, No Comment, Man is the Bastard, and so many more). I guess if you're talking old styles of music, then I commonly prefer their origins. If you consider newer styles, developments, and hybrids, then I'm also a big fan of those genres as well. About the only genre of music that I think is as good as ever, but isn't a new development, is maybe folk music. I do have to admit that the 2000s have proven to be a real dead spot for music that I believe will have longstanding in my world; not a lot of bands or releases I think I'll be playing twenty years from now.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by ZenoMarx.
GratefulDad07
Fresh Boarder

#212887 1 year, 11 months ago
Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Black Flag, Converge, Phish, Devo, Talking Heads, Dylan, Stones, Warren Zevon, Stooges, SWANS
frenchyfromthe901
Fresh Boarder
i need some panic in my life

#212908 1 year, 11 months ago
nickelback HAHAH ya right im all about some WSMFP also a bug ole phish phan(ya i like them both) and cant beat some classic rock also dont mind any form of jazz... my dad got me into music and i saw my first show at 5 i believe and it was greenday at beale street music fest in memphis...it was crazy hahah
wanee was amazing
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#212939 1 year, 11 months ago
GratefulDad07 wrote:
Black Flag, Converge, SWANS
very nice
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#212945 1 year, 11 months ago
GratefulDad07 wrote:
Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Black Flag, Converge, Phish, Devo, Talking Heads, Dylan, Stones, Warren Zevon, Stooges, SWANS

X and Catholic Discipline.

X is good: Johnnie Hit and Run Pauline, Blue Spark.

Catholic Discipline is shit though.

I remember seeing the film, The Decline Of Western Civilization when I was like 17. Shocking, at the time.

Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by mtnhead.
DeadlyDan
Junior Boarder
Life's a grave, dig it

#212958 1 year, 11 months ago
I was a major metal head before i was a dead head. There is just something about a band that is able to keep it going without having to tell me somthing. Let the music speak! Like the vocalist for In Flames said last night at the show I was at: " We have about fifteen minutes left, wich is about enough time for 3 Sweedish guitar riffs and one solo by this asshole over here." (pointing to the lead guitarist.) I love the mosh pit too. There is a comradorie (sp?) in the pit where people will take care of each other and pick up those who fall, keep the big guys in check and get the security out when they intervene too much. It's almost like a family. Granted some shows are different and just like Furthur or The Dead there are assholes there who just don't give a fuc.., but they usually don't last to long. There are almost too many bands to name, but here are a few:

Shadows Fall, In Flames, Lamb of God, Murderdolls, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Hurt, Otep, Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse, Machine Head, the list goes on.

Also into a lot of classic 60's and 70's vinyl:
Youngbloods, CCR, J.A.plane, Doors, Zep, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Hot Tuna, Big Bro, Paul Revere+the Raiders, Buffalo Springfield, Butterfield Blues Band, Ink Spots, Booker T and the MG's, Skynyrd, Stones, Floyd, Byrds, again the list goes on.

I just love good music, so much is out there it's hard to say I like this and not that 'cause theres probably a "this" out that I can't stand and a "that" I love. If it moves you, listen to it, if not move on and let thoes who enjoy it, enjoy.
Sometimes the songs that Weir
are just songs of our own
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#213010 1 year, 11 months ago
One of my most respected Deadhead friends (he took me to my first shows and was a favored cosmonaut) was also a fellow skater and lover of punk and hardcore music. He felt a great kinship in the energies shared by the Dead, skating, and punk, and he was confident I'd feel the same. I did. It wasn't something we discussed. It was intuitive and shared. Not all the energies are similar, but many of them are. Slayer during a skate session on the edge of Shakedown before a show? Nothing confusing or oppositional to me. As natural as breathing. All of them. Maybe it is one of the virtues of the skate culture. Flow and energies and creativity and perspective. We felt it in our minds and beneath our feet with the universe. Everything is one.

"Skaters, by their very nature, are urban guerrillas. They make everyday use of the useless artifacts of the technological burden and employ the handiwork of the government/corporate structure in a thousand ways that the original architects could never dream of."
-Craig Stecyk
The following user(s) said Thank You: wharfrat71, DeadlyDan
DeadlyDan
Junior Boarder
Life's a grave, dig it

#213013 1 year, 11 months ago
I was just about to go to sleep and I read the last post in this thread. Skating and the dead have been a important part of my life for the past few years. I have brought my board to all Furthur shows I go to (i actually bring it everywhere I go) and have meet a # of Skater/Heads because of this. A little game of skate never hurt anyone before a show. (gets the juices flowing!! ) Like you said there is a similarity between sk8ing and the dead that goes beyond a shared sport and musical love. After you learn the music of The Dead it is almost impossible to look at the world the same way again. This band sux now, this sunset/rise is awesome, this road trip was toatally worth it. Skating is like this because after you learn how to sk8, you can't walk down the street without thinking: I could ollie that, Cole could 360 flip to some crazy grind over that, I wish I had my board with so I could shred that. The music of The Dead is almost the same to me in that when I first walked into 3rd Lair in MN Bertha was playing over the PA sytem and I almost came, I swear. They are both things that people are willing to DEADicate their lives to, no matter the cost. Broken bones, Broaken laws and Broken boards! They both cause people to think outside the box and find a way to make Shi... happen wherever you are. I just love the individual spirit that Skaters and Dead/Furthur fans share. I hope more skatin' Heads come out. Sombody needs to bring a rail/ramp to one of the good lot shows and we could have a killer jam.
Sometimes the songs that Weir
are just songs of our own
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds