• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
reb
Visitor

Doesn't smoking weed impair your lungs?

#21017 3 years, 2 months ago
I am fearful of developing Emphysema and/or C.O.P.D.*

Perhaps if you use if judiciously like a spice, just a little pinch here and there, you might avoid pulmonary disease, but I found it impossible to not do toke 24/7 because it was psychologically addictive for me.

So can anyone tell me if my thinking incorrect?

Although I wouldn't go back to it now because, after a MAJOR jones that lasted about six weeks, I am breathing easier. I have lost weight and saved money. I find that I enjoy watching TV and listening to music just as much as I did while I was smoking.

I am nostalgic about it, but I don't really miss it, which really surprises me.

* COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive
Pulmonary Disease:

•Chronic means long-term — people live with COPD for many years
•Obstructive means decreased airflow in and out of the lungs
•Pulmonary refers to your lungs — it includes all the tubes that take in air through your mouth and nose and into your lungs
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by .
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Doesn't smoking weed impair your lungs?

#21020 3 years, 2 months ago
I am spacing the professsors name- I think Goldwine? He is a sociology professor at USC (my alma mater ) and he foudn a very large amount of literature that indicates in fact that the chemicals in pot in fact do the opposite- they allow the tiny little things in your lungs to take in more air (obscilla???). So it's the opposite of what you think. And it is anti-carcinogous, so the chemicals attack, literally, cells that could become cancerous.

But if it is a concern, you can always vaporize. That does not involve burning at all, so it avoids the problem.

I buy a quarter a year. My last one was from 4th of July and I still have about 3 little good sized nugs left of it. So I agree. My wife doesn't smoke, isn't necessariy for it, but I won't smoke aroudn her because then she'll be like "you are high again!!! but at a concert, or I'm expecting to do some big long time consuming chore at home.... (does not invovle driving of course). Things like that.

Also, any damage, across the board, is gone within 30 days. The only decent argument I hear being made is that of the damage associated with adolescence- that being high is not good for their social skills, and their liklihood of addiction, lower wages and lower education later in life.

I first dosed at 19. I smoked pot 6 months later. No problems here...
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by lostsailor.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#21026 3 years, 2 months ago
well seeing the resine that builds in my bowls, I can't imagine there being anything good about that going in my lungs.

Soon I will switch to a vaporizor, and cooking with it is another safe option as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neverstop66
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#21030 3 years, 2 months ago
I have COPD and mild Emphysema , I smoked tobacco lightly ( 1/2 pack or less per day ) but smoked herb heavily
I gave the tobacco up and feel much better
I have trouble if I over do it but if I toke sensibly things are ok
herb has a lot of tar in it so vapor is probably best
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by the highway terror.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#21031 3 years, 2 months ago
you also don't have to hold it deep in your lungs like eveyone thought back in the day. Pot absorbs quickly into the system so a good hefty suck in to get it in there deep and then let it out does the trick.
reb
Visitor

#21058 3 years, 2 months ago
what I learned from reading your responses is that weed is not bad for your lungs if used in moderation and vaporized.

The butane must be a irritant to the lung tissue when it is pulled in deeply along with the weed in a water bong. (I now consider all the butane lighters I've tossed into the landfills with much regret).

So a joint on rice paper would be preferable to water bong lit with a butane lighter.

I do have an portable iolite vaporizer but it did not produce the same enjoyment as the combustion did so I quickly discontinued using it. I could get used to vaporizing given time because it does work.

I do regret the fact that I used weed before my brain reached its full growth. I have that 'what if' feeling at times.

I have no plans to smoke again in the near future as I am simply enjoying not being a slave to it anymore, but again that slavery stems from my tendency to be psychologicaly dependant upon it.

Thanks for all your responses, they made a difference.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#21059 3 years, 2 months ago
i had a couple cheap vaporizors that didn't work good but if you get a good one it is actually more effective.

The cumbustion of marijuana alone ruins over half the THC content before it even enters your body....
reb
Visitor

#21067 3 years, 2 months ago
I suspected that the portable iolite was inferior. I would like to try to Vocano at the cost of about $500. Iolite portable was $179.

I will say this about vaporizing - it is absolutely odorless.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#21082 3 years, 2 months ago
If done here and there, I think its ok. But smoking it day after day, year after year cannot be good for you. I smoked if daily for 10 years but just couldn't smoke anything after seeing 1st hand what lung cancer does to smokers. I find other ways to get my buzz on at shows but abstain from party favors most other times.
reb
Visitor

#21089 3 years, 2 months ago
I know what you mean neverstop66...

they were running a public service commercial on TV here in nyc where you hear nothing but a person struggling to breathe for 60 seconds. It is excruciating to hear. Then the announcer says this is what emphysema sounds like.

That got me thinking.
Time to create page: 2.06 seconds