• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Good news/Terrible news Positive Vibes are needed

#209938 1 year, 10 months ago
So my mom calls me last night to say that her medical procedure is scheduled for January so she can babysit! Now all we need to do is lock down travel arrangements and we'll be in San Francisco!!

Then came the terrible news as life seems to go sometimes. My cousin Lisa who is exactly 6 weeks older than me has been courageously battling cervical cancer for almost 2 years now. Many highs and lows, many rounds of chemo and surgeries. Hope was all but lost this summer until she was thankfully accepted into the mayo clinic. They did an intense surgery and removed a stubborn tumor attached to her pelvis with important arteries, anyway a very difficult procedure. It seemed like a miracle and she was doing well. But not even 2 months later she has several new tumors, one is for sure cancer the others most likely are too. Her doctor told her there is nothing more he can do, surgery is not really an option anymore. Perhaps the mayo clinic has some ideas but it sounds grim, very grim. She was given 6 months to "live".

We grew up together as our mothers are very close so we did everything together. My family is huge and her, my sister and myself were the babies of the family, the other cousins are older than us. She is like a sister to me. I cannot imagine life without her. She has a beautiful family, she is too young and it is not fair. This will shake our family badly, I didn't sleep much, and feeling pretty shocked and nauseous. I usually don't open up like this especially over the internet but I have seen all the love and comfort here and I know you all put out such great positive energy. Thank you for lending an ear, I feel a little better just getting it out.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , scar1et_f1re
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Re: Good news/Terrible news Positive Vibes are needed

#209939 1 year, 10 months ago
(((((Denver Man and Family)))))
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Chester
More or less in line

#209942 1 year, 10 months ago
Sending you some strength and positive vibes. Hang in there. (((((((Strength And Healing)))))))
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#209943 1 year, 10 months ago
I'm so, so sorry Mark!! It's just incredibly hard and incredibly sad to watch someone you love fight that battle. Having a big, close family has got to help both of you tremendously, I'd think; sticking together to comfort each other can make a real difference. Keep taking good care of each other, that's the best thing you can do. I'm sending all my best thoughts your way, healing and strength and comfort for you and Lisa and the whole family!!

((((((LISA & MARK))))))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, scar1et_f1re
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#209945 1 year, 10 months ago
Thats terrible. Our heart and prayers go out to you and your family DM. Cancer SUX!!!!! STIW & Gr8fuljen.
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#209954 1 year, 10 months ago
(((((POSITIVE VIBES Denver Man and Family)))))

Sincerely wish the best for you and your family Brother, my thoughts are with you
-- smell every flower --
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

#209955 1 year, 10 months ago
Sending nothing but positive vibes your way, my friend. So sorry to hear of your difficulties. Lost my father and my best friend to cancer, both in 2009, so I know your pain. The important thing now is what she does with those "6 months".

I hate it when doctors say you only have "x" time to live. It's just a educated guess, like a weatherman trying to predict what the weather will be in a month. Look at it this way, we all only have "x" amount of time to live. Just like the doctors we don't know for sure what that amount of time is. If you had a doctor or weatherman who made predictions, based on scientific information about traffic accidents, they could say because of your route to work, and the car you drive, etc etc.., that you only have "x" amount of time until you are in a deadly car accident. Doesn't it just make sense to live every day as if you only have "x" amount of time to live. "Carpe Diem" or "live for today, but plan for tomorrow"

I know I'm probably not making much sense, and most likely even offering less in the way of help, or compassion, for your situation, but I'm trying to explain how I processed the deaths of my friend and my father when they were given "x" amount of time to live. When I found out that my father only had "about 18 months" to live I was very depressed, and was obsessed over this 18 month time frame, which was about how long he lasted. But then I thought "Hey, he could have died in 3 months from a car accident, random violence, or some other unexpected and sudden death."

Experiences like this tell me that we should each treasure every day we are here, and every moment we spend with loved ones, because, cancer or no cancer, we all only have "x" time left on this big blue marble.

Know that my thoughts and energy are with you during this difficult time.
Takin' it in stride!
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Strider1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, Ossumpei, RowTimmy
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#209960 1 year, 10 months ago
(((((((Prayers for DenverMan's Cousin and Family)))))))
that She Heals
And that She does not suffer pain
RowTimmy
Senior Boarder

#209964 1 year, 10 months ago
Peace and strength through this difficult time. I lost my dad from cancer a few years ago. It was a most difficult time for me. Life is too short and have learned to live each day as if its the last and to tell those you love that you love them as often as you can. Take comfort in your family and know WE are here for you in your time of need. Glad ill be seeing you this New Years.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#209965 1 year, 10 months ago
Yes, my prayers go out to all of you as well.

As far as these things go, the six months is just an educated guess. Something like a dozen years ago a friend of mine was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and given six months to live. She went about her business, continued her treatments and eventually -- amazingly -- went into remission. Today, she no longer even needs to see a doctor and has a wonderful marriage and a son.

God works in mysterious ways. Don't ever give up hope.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds