• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

Re: Writing an essay about the Grateful Dead. Topics?

#209499 1 year, 8 months ago
not to dwell on neg.s but if you do address the shakedown street issue please do it from a realistic viewpoint, and include how it threatened to destroy the GD tour scene in the mid 90s, and the band had to write and distribute letters condeming coming to shows looking for miracles, and vending.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#209508 1 year, 8 months ago
The shitty scene in the mid 90's really isn't part of shakedown street. The majority of shakedown was the same community it always was. Unfortunately, when they're popularity peeked there were a mixed group crashing shows, trying to get in free and causing all sorts of trouble. It would be cool to mention that aspect as well but when I think of shakedown I think of the community...most of those cats causing the problems weren't real heads
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#209574 1 year, 8 months ago
there is enough meat on the evoluttion of the Dark Star bone to go 7 surely and get at the juicy improvisational heart of a 2nd set quintessential GD song and part of the show
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#209844 1 year, 8 months ago
I am guessing you have decided by now on your topic, but had to respond to this last part of the discussion.

I actually burned out on the whole scene in the early 90s when it got so big and "mainstream". So I cant actually say I saw the issues of shakedown getting out of hand. In fact, when I was going in the 80s (80-90) I never even thought of shakedown, I just went to shows.

Yet I have heard and read stories and saw some of it when I came back in 93-95. The interesting thing for me is the crash of a great scene due to the influence of the proverbial "other" element. Title of the essay could be called "The Other One".

Meaning, back in 1964 when everything really started to take off, the first few years were great (or at least that is what everyone says, I was born in 1966). Then in 68 the other element moved in, and ruined the scene, and I guess it all went south. What was the other element...........bad people........or better put.........human nature. As in the challenge of humans preying on other humans.

I think you could write a really interesting story of the "condition of man", using the demnise of the hippie scene in 60s and the demise of the cool shakedown scene in 90s as tangible examples. Perhaps a bit on the existential side of things, yet both scenes have such similar outcomes as a result of bad people taking advantage of kind people. Of course history is full of this example..........hmmmmmmmm...........like the native american population...........or the slave trade as recent examples.

Anywho, I had never connected the two until today and had to write it down.
Connor
Junior Boarder

#209866 1 year, 8 months ago
I still haven't decided on a topic (essay isn't due until December so there isn't too much of a rush yet), but I am taking all of your suggestions into account, even if I don't acknowledge it here.. I'll let you guys know when I decide!
Sure don't know, what I'm goin' for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, Griff
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#209898 1 year, 8 months ago
Include the culture of the scene
The economy of the scene, ie shakedown st
How the show performed actually coincided with a 'trip' the way the songs were selected.
oral storytelling.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#209927 1 year, 8 months ago
Write your essay about the capitalist nature of the corporate Dead. I'm sure it's never been done.

www.boston.com/business/gallery/gratefuldeadlessons/
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by mtnhead.
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds