• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Halloween with Jerry and the Grateful Dead

#209035 1 year, 10 months ago
Dm you have good taste. Below is a link to Jamming with Edward..its pretty rare & pricey but well worth it--I've had a vinyl of it for 30 yrs or so. It features Nicky Hopkins, Ry Cooder, Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts, & Bill Wyman. Must have for any Stones, cooder or Nicky fan.

www.amazon.com/Jamming-With-Edward-Nicky-Hopkins/dp/B000000W8A
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#209037 1 year, 10 months ago
the 'Edward' from 10/31/75 late show is steller and fits right in with the holiday spirit. I just finished that show last night, I love Merl with his organ but some of the best Garcia you can get is with Hopkin's and his fantastic pianio playing.
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, amusingdeva
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#209038 1 year, 10 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
the 'Edward' from 10/31/75 late show is steller and fits right in with the holiday spirit. I just finished that show last night, I love Merl with his organ but some of the best Garcia you can get is with Hopkin's and his fantastic pianio playing.

Yeah I'd pick Nicky any day of the week..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#209041 1 year, 10 months ago
I went to the JGB 93 show at the Meadowlands with a whole bunch of friends. This was the era where a JGB show was preferable to a GD show, for me at least - people's mileage varies, so no offense meant to the GD.

Yes, for the years 1991-95. JGB shows were much more preferable than GD, very very few nights when JGB was off, I remember going to this show with a caravan of friends from home, probably 5 cars, 15-16 people on Halloween, good memories, also probably the largest venue I ever saw the Jerryband

groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.music.gdead/1DvPD8Dzivo
-- smell every flower --
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , Bacon Rocks
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#209066 1 year, 10 months ago
I saw the '93 as well.... it was ok. I just remember the next day the bartender where I worked was like "what the hell did Jerry play at the beginning of set II... what the fuck man I wanted rock and roll and I get that hippdy-dippy bullshit". I said he's probably in love (ie he was just married not that long ago or would be...) and he's singing to his woman! Jerry does as he wants to do and we thank him for it. It went right over his head.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#209157 1 year, 10 months ago
bump for some Halloween listening
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#209254 1 year, 10 months ago
Ok I'm gonna comment on this one:

10/31/85 (Thu) University of South Carolina - Carolina Coliseum - Columbia, SC

Set 1: Jam > Werewolves of London > Music Never Stopped, West L.A. Fadeaway, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Tennessee Jed, Looks Like Rain > Might As Well

Set 2: Shakedown Street > Playing In The Band > Ship of Fools > Drums > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Not Fade Away, E: U.S. Blues

A caravan of 4 cars headed down south from PSU to hit Columbia>Richmond x 2. Somewhere along the way we stopped at a rest stop and a van full of freaks piled out next to us. Started chattin up one of the young ladies and told her Werewolves a london its comin wohoooooooo.... their whole group were like no way that ones
is retired ( it hadn't been played in 522 shows since 7-8-78 RR) . Anyway onto the show. Trip or treat was the saying of the day. got on the bus and headed in. Lots of insanbe stuff happened on this day but I'll cut to the chase/show. Band comes out with lit Pumpkins across the front of the stage a lil Finiculi Finicula>a Phil demonical Laugh> SPACE to open the show. Sick sick sick....into Werewolves!!!!!!!!!! the crowd went bananas. A really really good Music N Stopped .. then we were welcomed by Mr Weir with "Good evening music lovers!" This is THE best 1st set I ever attended (well actually a tie with 4-8-85). Every version could fall into the best ever category (except the WW which was just plain FUN!) ....the LL Rain IS the best version ever. All wrapped up with a rare Might as Well. Many many minds were lost this night some never to return Every substance known to man was in abudance... nary a "designated driver" in the house. The set opening Shakedown while not the best ever is very unique. I think the band ( especially Mr Weir) were visited by a massive amount of peruvian marching soldiers during setbreak. If you wanna here a true Weir going off out of his mind listen to him go off during the just gotta poke around section. Unfortunately the rest of the set wasn't that great especially by 85 standards. I think they blew their proverbial load during the fantastic set 1. Little did we know what was in store for us as we headed toward Richmond. Set 1 is must hear. The Shakedown for the Weir "freakout" too. Gone are the daze... (MM has the link at the top of this thread.
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bacon Rocks
allycatsunflower
Fresh Boarder
The music never stopped...

#209281 1 year, 10 months ago
Thanks so much for this - really made my halloween much love!!
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul
Chester
More or less in line

#209295 1 year, 10 months ago
Grateful Dead
10/31/83 Marin County Veteran's Auditorium - San Rafael, CA
archive.org/details/gd1983-10-31.sbd.clugston.3811.shnf

Set 1
Wang Dang Doodle ->My Brother Esau, Peggy-O, Little Red Rooster, Brown Eyed Women, Lost Sailor ->Saint Of Circumstance ->Deal
Set 2
Help On The Way ->Slipknot! ->Franklin's Tower, Estimated Prophet ->Eyes Of The World ->Drums ->Space ->Saint Stephen ->Throwing Stones ->Not Fade Away
Encore: Revolution

A little, "This day in history", fact. This show, 10/31/83, is the last performance of Saint Stephen, by the Grateful Dead.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds