• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Best China>Rider - Sandy listening-fixed

#208723 1 year, 11 months ago
In light of the Shakedown thread... and stuck inside for at least another 48 hours ...lets try a best China>Rider thread.
I've got a lot of faves but gun to my head this one gets my vote. This whole show is a long time fave --one of the only live Money, Moneys ... I'm sure a lot of you have heard it.. whether you or not check it out. You won't be dissapointed.

archive.org/details/gd1974-05-19.sbd.clu...7.79781.sbeok.flac16
the tracking was all f'ed up on the forst link.. this one is AOK.

The MONSTER setlist:

05/19/74 (Sun) Portland Memorial Coliseum - Portland, OR

Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Mexicali Blues, Big Railroad Blues, Black Throated Wind, Scarlet Begonias, Beat It On Down The Line, Tennessee Jed, Me And Bobby McGee, Sugaree, Jack Straw, It Must Have Been The Roses, El Paso, Loose Lucy, Money Money, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Promised Land, Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told, Ship of Fools, Weather Report Suite Prelude > Weather Report Suite Part 1 > Let It Grow > Wharf Rat, Big River, Peggy-O, Truckin' > Heaven Help The Fool Jam > Not Fade Away > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > One More Saturday Night, E: U.S. Blues

"Lord makes woman outta Adams rib, Next thing ya know we got womens lib" BW "Money Money"
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Best China>Rider - Sandy listening

#208725 1 year, 11 months ago
gd71-04-10.sbd.willy.8674.sbeok.shnf
gd72-05-03.sbd.masse.6453.sbeok.shnf
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#208726 1 year, 11 months ago
Dick's Picks 12 - 6/26/74

hands down, and you can't leave out the sweet little Jam that leads into it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnhead
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#208783 1 year, 11 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
Dick's Picks 12 - 6/26/74

hands down, and you can't leave out the sweet little Jam that leads into it...

That would be my other choice. 5/19 also features "that jam". One night way late at night post show we tried to come up with a name for that jam. We finally settled on "Sunny day at the Beach Jam" .... ck 5/19 out MM
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

Re: Best China>Rider - Sandy listening-fixed

#208795 1 year, 11 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
In light of the Shakedown thread... and stuck inside for at least another 48 hours ...lets try a best China>Rider thread.
I've got a lot of faves but gun to my head this one gets my vote. This whole show is a long time fave --one of the only live Money, Moneys ... I'm sure a lot of you have heard it.. whether you or not check it out. You won't be dissapointed.

archive.org/details/gd1974-05-19.sbd.clu...7.79781.sbeok.flac16
the tracking was all f'ed up on the forst link.. this one is AOK.

The MONSTER setlist:

05/19/74 (Sun) Portland Memorial Coliseum - Portland, OR

Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Mexicali Blues, Big Railroad Blues, Black Throated Wind, Scarlet Begonias, Beat It On Down The Line, Tennessee Jed, Me And Bobby McGee, Sugaree, Jack Straw, It Must Have Been The Roses, El Paso, Loose Lucy, Money Money, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Promised Land, Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told, Ship of Fools, Weather Report Suite Prelude > Weather Report Suite Part 1 > Let It Grow > Wharf Rat, Big River, Peggy-O, Truckin' > Heaven Help The Fool Jam > Not Fade Away > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > One More Saturday Night, E: U.S. Blues

"Lord makes woman outta Adams rib, Next thing ya know we got womens lib" BW "Money Money"

I listened to that show a few days ago!!! Its really good money money is so funny and as I recall Keith kills that version!!!!

Not sure if I can pick a favorite China-rider though... So many great ones but it would have to be a 73-74 one. There are some that have a smoother transition than others and some where the Jerry just goes crazy after the verses of china cat. Dicks picks 12 is really hot!!!
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: Best China>Rider - Sandy listening-fixed

#208809 1 year, 11 months ago
This one is very good

archive.org/details/gd73-03-22.sbd.sacks.1822.sbeok.shnf

03/22/73
Utica Memorial Auditorium - Utica, NY
Set 1:
Promised Land
Sugaree
Mexicali Blues
They Love Each Other
Looks Like Rain
Deal
Beat It On Down The Line
Bird Song
Jack Straw
Box Of Rain
You Ain't Woman Enough
The Race Is On
Row Jimmy
El Paso
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Playin' In The Band
Casey Jones
Set 2:
Big River
Wave That Flag
Me And My Uncle
Here Comes Sunshine
Truckin'
The Other One
Eyes Of The World
China Doll
Sugar Magnolia
Encore:
One More Saturday Night
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#208812 1 year, 11 months ago
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#208868 1 year, 11 months ago
One of my favorites is 2-9-73 Maples Pavilion, Stanford, CA. I think this is the 1st wall of sound show, and it has Wavy Gravy introducing the band as The Rainbowmakers before the China-Rider.

The Shakedown thread turned me on to quite a few great Shakedowns. I would be interested in hearing about other people's fave China-Riders, naturally many will be from the 72-74 era, so how about your faves for pre-Brent and post-Brent??
These are the good old days!!
newyawker
Platinum Boarder

#208882 1 year, 11 months ago
BillyDeLion wrote:
One of my favorites is 2-9-73 Maples Pavilion, Stanford, CA. I think this is the 1st wall of sound show, and it has Wavy Gravy introducing the band as The Rainbowmakers before the China-Rider.

The Shakedown thread turned me on to quite a few great Shakedowns. I would be interested in hearing about other people's fave China-Riders, naturally many will be from the 72-74 era, so how about your faves for pre-Brent and post-Brent??

MSG 3-9-81 is fantastic. The whole show is phenomenol.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#208889 1 year, 11 months ago
newyawker wrote:
MSG 3-9-81 is fantastic. The whole show is phenomenal.
The Glassberg AUD recording is infamous for being one of the all-time greatest GD AUD recordings. GREAT show, too. And then when Miller mastered the Rolfe Nak recording, even other great moments were exposed for me. You cannot go wrong with either of these.

gd81-03-09.fob.glassberg.motb.0009.82372.flac16 (China Cat weird sounds and picking up steam energy; great Birdsong 8:20- such a nice groove)
gd81-03-09.nak700.rolfe.miller.95179.flac24 (also a 16bit; sizzling, high energy TOO; end of space sounds like King Crimson)

other Brent era notables:
gd81-12-28.nak700.anon-severson-poris.LMPP.96571.flac16
gd82-08-10.sbd.miller.12453.sbeok.shnf
gd82-09-05.sbd-patched.warner.5490.sbeok.shnf (but it cuts)
gd84-10-14.senn421.pauline.miller.91385.sbeok.flac16
gd90-06-16.sbd.ladner.8571.sbeok.shnf

and check out the gd68-02-03.sbd.miller.97346.sbeok.flac16 (ultra-groove China Cat > The Eleven)
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds