• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: My new favorite Shakedown!

#208359 1 year, 11 months ago
As an ear witness to the 6.30.85 and 4.7.85 I would like to nominate this one from Pittsburgh 7.6.87

archive.org/details/gd1987-07-06.senn421...s.84623.sbeok.flac16
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#208402 1 year, 11 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
One last note..another example of why I'll take a well recorded audience tape over a sterile soundboard anyday. Close your eyes and it puts you "there"

09/12/81 (Sat) Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA

Set 1: Shakedown Street > Greatest Story Ever Told, Friend Of The Devil > El Paso, Bird Song > Cassidy, Tennessee Jed > Looks Like Rain, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > CC Rider, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Not Fade Away > Wharf Rat > Around and Around > One More Saturday Night, E1: It's All Over Now Baby Blue, E2: Good Lovin'

Hard to go wrong with a setlist Featuring Shakedown, China >Rider, Scarlet>Fire & Estimated>Eyes

STIW. Excellent show from beginning to end

Here is another Gem for Shakdown et al.

archive.org/details/gd79-01-15.rolfe.wise-cohen.310.sbeok.shnf

Set 1

Jack Straw
Jack-A-Roe
Cassidy
Row Jimmy
Mama Tried ->
Mexicali Blues
Stagger Lee
Passenger
Deal

Set 2

I Need A Miracle ->
Shakedown Street
From The Heart Of Me
Terrapin Station ->
Playing In The Band ->
Drums ->
Jam ->
Playing In The Band ->
Casey Jones

Encore
Johnny B. Goode

Pair of Jacks!!!!!

Miracle > Shakedown? Are you kidding me. Hottttttttt
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#208403 1 year, 11 months ago
23atwell wrote:
Either i cant remember ever listing to this show or maybe I havent at all but this shakedown is unreal. Sometimes certain songs can really pump me up on certain days but this one. I was getting chiils and just rockin out. They way jerry and bobby going at each other and the sounds the keys are making, hitting the right spots. I love the fact that on any day i I can find something I think I never heard. Something thats so old but new to me. If anyone has this on cd, I will trade. Does Jerry think about what note hes going to play next. Hes so fast. One of a few things Jk cant do like Jerry is not think and just play and play fast. I dont know, Jerry just does it right. Take a listen.

Uptown Theater, 12-5-1979

archive.org/details/gd1979-12-05.sbd.miller.112163.flac16

Thanks for posting. I gave it a listen, and I have to agree a great version!! I think the October through December 1979 tour is vastly under-rated. Great stuff on this tour, Cape Cod Coliseum, Philly Spectrum, etc.. I've been told that the Uptown Theater is a beautiful place. See cinematreasures.org/theaters/69 Nice photo of the theater.

Don't know about the JG vs JK stuff, I try not to think of music that way, but to each their own. The whole band is sounding great on the Shakedown, and Brent has some funky sounds during the jam.

Another poster mentioned 7-6-87. I recently gave the Pittsburgh 7-6-87 show another listen, well actually only the 2nd set, and yes, it's a nice Shakedown, but not on my short list of favorite Shakedowns. The 2nd set pre-drums segment is an interesting listen. The post drums is short, and anti-climactic. This was a show I attended, it was cool seeing the Neville Bros, although they're not too audible in the mix. One bit of trivia is this was the beginning of the "In The dark Era" as the CD was released on that same day. The next 2 nights were in Roanoke, but for me and my friends, we were off to Philly for the JFK show with Dylan.
Attachments:
These are the good old days!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by BillyDeLion.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#208410 1 year, 11 months ago
New Yawker- Nice pick on that 1-15-79. Another under the radar gem. 79 as a whole is way underated. Whole last tour with Keith/Donna smokes....lots of drama backstage including a famous Donna goes rock star trashing of a hotel room (in Buffalo). All the tension led to lots of intensity in the music. This is the gem of that tour IMHO:

01/20/79 (Sat) Shea's Buffalo Theater - Buffalo, NY
Set 1: Promised Land, Sugaree, El Paso, Peggy-O, It's All Over Now, Jack A Roe, Minglewood Blues, Stagger Lee, Jack Straw

Set 2: I Need A Miracle > Bertha, Good Lovin', Loser, Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Drums > The Other One > Dark Star > Not Fade Away > Sugar Magnolia, E: One More Saturday Night

Sorry I digressed back to Shakedown. TS... that 7-6-87 was a hometown show that I unfortunately missed as I opted to do Alpine & the Dylan Dead shows. I try to black it out. My brother was there called me the next day (pre-internet) and I was quite unhappy. True story I spemt the night typing a long paper for college--yes typing on an old typewriter--god we are old.

Lastly if we are talkin Pittsburgh Shakedown ( I didn't want to be accused of being a "homer") check out 4-2-89. This is the tour the dead opted NOT to play NY, Philly, DC, Boston..the 2 Pittsburgh shows were the closest to the east coast. It was estimeted 50,000 plus showed up to a venue that held 17K. While a riot stormed outside inside was great great 89 show. The crowd was electric "everyone" from the east coast was there..and the anticipation was nearing heart attack levels in the crowd...then lights down... BAM Shakedown ... whole show phenomenal.. crowd goin apeshit entire show. Didn't learn about the riot till we woke up the next day as Mom (RIP) cooked breakfast for my crew we turned on the tv...first story on the news "Riot at Grateful Dead Concert" shit just what I wanted my mom to here.

A few other tasty Shakedowns to check out:
11-25-79 - UCLA
9-18-87 -Msg
10-15-94-- MSG-I am not kidding--the last burning embers were still burning on fall tour 94
9-10-90 Philly
10-20-84 - Syracuse
9-7-85 Red Rocks

Ok this old codger will shut up now. Out before flames suggesting a trip to the senior center.
Stonedbeetle
Junior Boarder

#208413 1 year, 11 months ago
"One of a few things Jk cant do like Jerry is not think and just play and play fast."

While I do not disagree, I have to comment. As a lifelong musician myself, I hear two very different players when talking about John and Jerry. I also hear two different Johns.

In the first 12 months of Furthur, I heard John staying closely within the framwork of what had been established by Jerry for these tunes. While it is easy to say it, but not know sure for that Bobby and Phil had him on a leash, perhaps it was a conciensus decision on JK's part to stay respectful to Jerry.

Perhaps over time, I can't say for sure, he either earned the respect of Bobby and Phil, or became more comfortable with his role and opened up.

To me John is a more technically proficient than Jerry ever was. Its rare that you hear John hit any stinkers, and Jerry played whole shows full of them. I have recently seen the JK band, and without the restraints of Furthur, he has some serious skills. He is clearly able to play fast, not think, lead a band, and stay on his feet. He is not a picker however.

Now . . . let me clear here. I am not saying John is better. He is a player. Jerry was a writer, singer, and player. When Jerry was on, it is hard to find any guitar player that can top the emotion and inspiration that he was able to project with his guitar. Jery could hit 5 simple notes and bring you to your knees.

John is capable of that as well, and even though I respect him immensely as a player, the same connection can never be established, because John didn't write the songs. That can't be held against him.

When Jerry sings Wharf Rat, I can't help but think, that story is somewhat of an autobiography. He already has me pulled in. So in other words, I am 50 percent there already. And that just adds more meaning to what he plays on the guitar.

eh . . . sorry about the long babble. Lets get back to great Shakedowns and I will go back to prepping for the storm.
Bound to cover just a little more ground . . .
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#208416 1 year, 11 months ago
Stonedbettle, thank for that little piece you just wrote. I am not a musician, so you shedded som light for me. I didnt mean to compare. I was just writing off the top of my head. Sometimes when Im listing to jerry, I just cant help but to praise I him. I guess I cant compare Jerry to anyone else. Hes nothing like any other musician out there for me. JK is my favorite lead guitarest, I have ever seen play this music. I enjoy JK every time I see him. Back to the shakedown.

I listen to the 7-6-87 this morning. They were on. They usually are when they have special guest to. Shakedown vocals were "poke around" were giving chills. The Nevilles came out on that Aiko and it was great. Fun show
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#208433 1 year, 11 months ago
Grate thread !!
& thanks for all the grate links !!!
Shakedown first worked it's magic on me back in the late '70's in colorado. the boys had done one (or 2...the memory is a little fuzzy) @ Red Rocks, but the last night of the run was moved to the old McNichols arena (B-ball/hockey rink in Denver) allegedy due to poor weather forecast, but more likely due to an overflow crowd & security fears the nights before @ Red Rocks.
I was bummed to be indoors, & climbed up to the very last row in the balcony, centered to the stage, but as far away as one could get...mainly to sulk, but discovered it was actually a pretty cool vantage point...most all the seats around me were empty, so I could stretch out & get comfortable, & being able to look down on the entire scene from way up high & so far back proved to be a a very interesting perspective.
the lights went down & the band came out...then usual 3-4 minute tune-up followed. The first sound to come through the pa was the opening "Boom" of Shakedown, made even better by an perfectly excecuted "Philbomb".
Within seconds, felt the chill run down my spine, & the grin spead across my face that never failed to occur at a Dead show. It was the PERFECT song for the moment..."Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart, you just gottal look around."
Spent the whole show up in my perch on highk, digging being able to soak in the entire scene.
Shame on me for doubting the the Boyz could make it a magical night.
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#208471 1 year, 11 months ago
Wow a couple goodies here. After the training wheels were kicked out of RG3 by steeltown...listening for the first time in awhile to the 1/15/79 Springfield Ny'er put up..................Miracle>Shakedown is off the MF Chain. Must hear......the miracle is no run of the mill version...... the rest ....I'll let this guy sum it up:

What these guys achieve on this night in this place between 'Miracle' and 'Shakedown' is the nuttiest, off the chart, my-mind-has-liquefied-and-is-leaking-down-my-spinal-column gobbledygook I may have ever heard. And that goes equally as well for the jam at the end of 'Shakedown.' And, as others have noted, there are many other very fine moments, too. Plus it's a perfectly decent audience recording--especially when you consider that it's still early 1979

Next, this morning I relistened to UCLA 79 for the first time in a long while too....if you want a funky shakedown this is the one for you. Unique jam with Brent adding all kinds of "sound" ..thanx atwell for re-firing some burned cells!!! Oh Jerry forgets a few words ..who cares..the jam is SICK

archive.org/details/gd79-11-25.sbd.dan.7192.sbeok.shnf
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#208516 1 year, 11 months ago
Ryan. I cannot partake in a 'Shakedown' thread without mentioning nassau 79 halloween!!!!!!

Another Glassberg/sirmick Gem AUD here.

archive.org/details/gd1979-10-31.nakcm70...sirmick.86239.flac16

I Would put this one up there as good as it gets.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by newyawker.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#208791 1 year, 11 months ago
Hey Now!! All great suggestions and man is there just so much great music.

I hope I didnt come across as a JK vs JG dude. I dont believe in that either and have argued a number of times on here that each is great in their own right. And being a musician, recognize all sorts of talent in John. And I dont like to pick it apart.

Thats when my expectations go up and fun goes down. They are inversely proportional if you ask me. That's what happened to me in the late 80s and early 90s. I was expecting something for the GD, not just enjoying the ride. Stopped going for 3 years until 1993 when I got back on for the last few years. I digress.

What I actually wanted to highlight was what IMHO is the best CC Rider from 9/12/81. My tape actually said this was 9/11/81, yet of course time and the databases proved that wrong.

But man, the solos are all nice. Jerry's first one starts off slow and grooves in to a racous end and then the Brent > Bobby slide solo > Jerry second solo is just freaking over the top.

You wanna hear Jerry pick out some incredibly fast runs, just listen to that second solo. All culminating ins few beat bombs at the end. The crowd goes ape shit. Man I wish I was there. Caught the 83 and 84 Greeks, some of my best.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds