• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

My new favorite Shakedown!

#207987 1 year, 9 months ago
Either i cant remember ever listing to this show or maybe I havent at all but this shakedown is unreal. Sometimes certain songs can really pump me up on certain days but this one. I was getting chiils and just rockin out. They way jerry and bobby going at each other and the sounds the keys are making, hitting the right spots. I love the fact that on any day i I can find something I think I never heard. Something thats so old but new to me. If anyone has this on cd, I will trade. Does Jerry think about what note hes going to play next. Hes so fast. One of a few things Jk cant do like Jerry is not think and just play and play fast. I dont know, Jerry just does it right. Take a listen.

Uptown Theater, 12-5-1979

archive.org/details/gd1979-12-05.sbd.miller.112163.flac16
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by 23atwell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds, BillyDeLion, theotherone
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

Re: My new favorite Shakedown!

#208009 1 year, 9 months ago
1979 at it's finest! (((((((((((((((((((((((((((JERRY & BRENT))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#208022 1 year, 9 months ago
like fine wine the dead 79 nice !!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#208032 1 year, 9 months ago
some wine would be good about now as well as other things....
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#208121 1 year, 9 months ago
Atwell - very nice. As a lifelong Shakedown connoisseur let me suggest the following..I'm sure you've heard some of them.

6-30-85 Merriweather- this is the gold standard
12-31-84 San Francisco-- an argument can be made this is the greatest..its really splitting hairs
4-17-82 Hartford
4-6-82 Spectrum
4-7-85 Spectrum
9-12-81 Greek - this version is sublime and a lil different from the 5 listed above.

Im sure someone is gonna mention 9-10-91 with Branford ...while the whole show is damn good I think its overrated.

"You got no chance a losin " with any of these. Enjoy and I expect a full sonic report when finished
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#208128 1 year, 9 months ago
Very nice, very nice. The 79 version is hot, some great groovin. I agree Atwell, JG plays a faster guitar then JK and was definitely a picker from all that banjo. He could scream and actually play notes versus just a bunch of noise.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Jerry & Brent)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sure like this 85 merriweather version. This is a great song. And I love the way Furthur does it too, heard some nice versions this year perhaps my favorite being MCU.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#208143 1 year, 9 months ago
Damn nearly 18 minutes! Thanks for the link Ryan.

Those early shakedowns are crazy good. Sounds like right off the album. Terrapins from 77 are awesome like that too.

Jerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, Griff
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#208334 1 year, 9 months ago
Well I started off today by revisiting with that merriweater 85 shakedown. Absolutely perfect. So clean. Jerry is so freaking perfect. I did like alot. One thing I like about some shakedowns is when it gets sticky and funky. That 85 show wasn't funky but it was clean. Will see the next ones you offered up. Thank you.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#208348 1 year, 9 months ago
Well just revisited 9-12-81...and let me say this is a prime exa,ple of what bobby calls takin a tune for a walk through the woods and see what happens. This whole show is epic.

archive.org/details/gd81-09-12.wise.munder.7091.sbeok.shnf

Here's a review of it..not my words:

This show absolutely rips from the first note on. To me this is the gem of this great Greek run, and IMHO is one of the best shows I have ever heard, the energy is amazing, and the crowd reaction demonstrates that the fans understand that they are witnessing a special show (I always loved Bay Area audiences, they were always a lot more laid back, and not as anxious as East Coast or Midwest fans. They got into the music just as much, but were more content to just let the band take them whereever they wanted to.) . Shakedown is one for the ages with Jerry an Phil soaring in the Jam. Bird Song is one of the best ever and the China Cat > Rider ranks as one of the top versions ever. The Scarlet > Fire is phenomenal and is my personal favorite, Jerry takes some great turns during the jam, slowing it down so sweetly before the Fire intro, and then we get one of the most powerful Fires I have heard. The Prophet > Eyes is epic as well, (one of the greatest Eyes I have heard) with a great space jam with Jerry leading the way. This is one of the rare pre-drums space jams, with the whole pre-drums lasting over one hour. After drums does not dissapoint either with a classic NFA followed by a Wharf Rat for the ages (apologies for the repeated superlatives, but this show deserves it!!). The only thing missing is the 2nd encore and of course, Bobby getting us all to yell "Hey Phil..." to get Lesh on stage. To top all this off, this audience recording is among the cleanest and purest ones around. 5 Stars all around for this monster show!!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#208351 1 year, 9 months ago
One last note..another example of why I'll take a well recorded audience tape over a sterile soundboard anyday. Close your eyes and it puts you "there"

09/12/81 (Sat) Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA

Set 1: Shakedown Street > Greatest Story Ever Told, Friend Of The Devil > El Paso, Bird Song > Cassidy, Tennessee Jed > Looks Like Rain, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > CC Rider, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Not Fade Away > Wharf Rat > Around and Around > One More Saturday Night, E1: It's All Over Now Baby Blue, E2: Good Lovin'

Hard to go wrong with a setlist Featuring Shakedown, China >Rider, Scarlet>Fire & Estimated>Eyes
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, 23atwell
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds