• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: TXR HOEDOWNS

#206770 2 years ago
Dang I guess I'm stoned mad! heehee

Naaah that's cool man I'm glad you are enjoying yourself out there! That's all that matters. Hope to meet up with you again over new years.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#206780 2 years ago
denverman just curious how many times have you seen phil's sons playing?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#206808 2 years ago
I couldn't agree more. We saw a Hoedown during the summer and it was great. The musicianship of these shows is sterling. I like the relaxed feel; before the show we could hear the band practicing out back and there was a lot of laughter and camaraderie going on, and the set lists are fun down home tunes. I love it!wlewis wrote:
these shows were so awesome. an incredible vibe all around. the grate room looked beautiful and from what i understand jill had a huge hand in it. the food was excellent, the members of the band were more than friendly. there is a huge amount of love for phil and TXR is just brimming with it. these shows were not about people trying to play grateful dead music, at all. these were a nice blend of folk/bluegrass/americana. they dug through some classics to perform and even old GD classics were arranged differently to fit the show. phil is reeling in the talent and honestly, anybody who thinks grahame and brian don't bring it, you're stone mad. these kids are becoming excellent musicians. their voices blend so harmoniously together and they both bring a positive energy. brian strums that mandolin so well, and at times i see a crazed levon helm in his eyes. i swear when they played that mumford and sons sigh no more cover as the first encore the 2nd night, just the 3 lesh's on vocals, i started crying. it wasn't the song, it was everything. it was one of the most beautiful moments i have been a part of in music. i guess i can't end without tipping my hat and then some to jon graboff and ross james. two amazing guitar players and they both rip the pedal steel as well. boo reiners was a big surprise, very good musician banjo and guitar and tony leone was cool to watch on drums and do a bit of singing.

these are totally different style shows, and i want more of them!!

monthly hoedowns phil!!
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#206815 2 years ago
wlewis wrote:
denverman just curious how many times have you seen phil's sons playing?

Zero times live.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#206817 2 years ago
i'm developing this theory that the folks who don't like them or recognize their talent are the folks who have only listened to them on crappy internet streams.

i'd highly suggest seeing them if the opportunity is ever in your future. i really think that you would enjoy their dedication and passion for music.

phil whips everybody into shape. boo reiners told me at dinner last night he was real tired that phil was cracking the whip and he called it phil's music camp. he put in a SHITLOAD of time into preparing the music for these special shows. he even said during the donor rap that not only was playing fun but putting it together and rehearsing with everybody was a big joy as well.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#206823 2 years ago
I had the oppertunity to see them on "the big stage" at All Good Fest, they seemed nervous, but played well. I had my own bias due to Jackie Greene not getting to sing as much, but all in all I thought they were great.

It will be interesting to see the evolution........I know I am excited for them. Sounds like a fine time at Phils place indeed.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#206825 2 years ago
I recognize their talent and it is awesome for Phil to play with his sons but I'll just leave it at that. It's not just his sons either. I've had a difficult time with most of the rambles. Seeing it live would help for sure. But after PLF in Broomfield - that's the line up I'm looking for. Although I liked the one with Green, Molo, Molitz and Campbell as well.

Too many other options out there I guess!
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#206833 2 years ago
i havent ever been to an actual phil and friends show with his kids there but i have listened to recordings, and i gotta be stone mad too.
i think its awsome that phils kids want get into the music biz, or whatever, like dylans kid, paul simons kid, etc., (i like both those exaples)
i just dont enjoy the lineups encluding his sons as i have previous phil and friends lineups.
expectations are a big part of it, when hes playing with jorma, or warren, or molo, or whomever, you know that your gonna git a certain level of playing.
i dont hear that on the shows with his kids.
i dont think its fair that you ask dneverman if hes ever seen phil and kids, implying that unless he has seen them live he cant judge if they are good or not, but you can judge, and post a review to a whole show, having only listened to it via a stream.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by illuminaughty.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#206834 2 years ago
the theory holds up.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#206837 2 years ago
that's not what i was implying joe. i said "just curious". and then went on to explain why i asked in my next post. i'm develping a theory brother, and it holds up, not just from you two. i've been polling both sides of the spectrum. this didn't start today. i've been working on it since summer
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds