• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

On Following One's Bliss

#206350 2 years ago
Okay, so I gathered together some quotes on this great subject, which is scary and exhilarating at the same time:

"Remember the last line [of Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt]? 'I have never done the thing that I wanted to in all my life.' That is a man who never followed his bliss. Well, I actually heard that line when I was teaching at Sarah Lawrence. Before I was married, I used to eat out in the restaurants of town for my lunch and dinners. Thursday night was the maid's night off in Bronxville, so that many of the families were out in restaurants. One fine evening I was in my favorite restaurant there, and at the next table there was a father, a mother, and a scrawny boy about twelve years old. The father said to the boy, 'Drink your tomato juice.' And the boy said, 'I don't want to.' Then the father, with a louder voice, said, 'Drink your tomato juice.' And the mother said, 'Don't make him do what he doesn't want to do.' The father looked at her and said, 'He can't go through life doing what he wants to do. If he does only what he wants to do, he'll be dead. Look at me. I've never done a thing I wanted to in all my life.' And I thought, 'My God, there's Babbitt incarnate!' That's the man who never followed his bliss. You may have a success in life, but then just think of it—what kind of life was it? What good was it—you've never done the thing you wanted to do in all your life. I always tell my students, go where your body and soul want to go. When you have the feeling, then stay with it, and don't let anyone throw you off." —Joseph Campbell

• • • •

"Poets are simply those who have made a profession and a lifestyle of being in touch with their bliss. . . When I taught in a boys’ prep school, I used to talk to the boys who were trying to make up their minds as to what their careers were going to be. A boy would come to me and ask, 'Do you think I can do this? Do you think I can do that? Do you think I can be a writer?' 'Oh,' I would say, 'I don’t know. Can you endure ten years of disappointment with nobody responding to you, or are you thinking that you are going to write a best seller the first crack? If you have the guts to stay with the thing you really want, no matter what happens, well, go ahead.' Then Dad would come along and say, 'No, you ought to study law because there is more money in that, you know.' Now, that is the rim of the wheel, not the hub, not following your bliss. Are you going to think of fortune, or are you going to think of your bliss?" —Joseph Campbell

• • • •

"I've spoken to a lot of people, and they say, 'Gee, I'd sure like to be able to do something like that.' And the only thing that's keeping anybody from doing exactly that is the fact that they don't believe they can do it. It's frustrating, because you say, 'Hey, man, it's the easiest thing in the world: all you have to do is just do what you want and don't do anything else.'" —Jerry Garcia (1983)

• • • •

"I think, honestly, you have to expect to have a day-job, or something like that, because very few people are lucky enough to actually make a living at music." —Jerry Garcia (1991)

• • • •

"Maybe you collect or maybe you pay
Still got to work that eight hour day
Whether you like that job or not
Gotta do your work while you're
lining up your long shot
Which is so say
hey-ey

Keep your day job
Don't give it away
Keep your day job
Whatever they say" —Robert Hunter

• • • •

"Shadows of a sailor forming
winds both foul and fair all swarm
down in Carlisle he loved a lady
many years ago

Here beside him stands a man,
a soldier by the looks of him,
Who came through many fights,
but lost at love

While the storyteller speaks
a door within the fire creaks
suddenly flies open
and a girl is standing there

Eyes alight with glowing hair
all that fancy paints as fair
she takes her fan and throws it
in the lion's den

'Which of you to gain me, tell
will risk uncertain pains of Hell?
I will not forgive you
if you will not take the chance'

The sailor gave at least a try
the soldier being much too wise
strategy was his strength
and not disaster

The sailor coming out again
the lady fairly lept at him
that's how it stands today
you decide if he was wise" —Robert Hunter

• • • •

"What makes you itch? What sort of a situation would you like? Let's suppose — I do this often in vocational guidance of students — they come to me and say, 'well, we're getting out of college, and we haven't the faintest idea what we want to do.' So I always ask the question, 'what would you like to do if money were no object? How would you really enjoy spending your life?' Well, it’s so amazing that as a result of our kind of educational system, crowds of students say, 'well, we’d like to be painters, we’d like to be poets, we’d like to be writers, but as everybody knows, you can’t earn any money that way.' Another person says, 'well, I'd like to live an out-of-doors life and ride horses.' I say, 'do you want to teach in a riding school? Let's go through with it. What do you want to do?'

When we finally got down to something which the individual says he really wants to do, I will say to him: 'You do that and forget the money.' Because if you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you will spend your life completely wasting your time. You’ll be doing things you don’t like doing in order to go on living that is to go on doing things you don’t like doing. Which is stupid! Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way. And after all if you do really like what you’re doing — it doesn’t matter what it is — you can eventually become a master of it. It’s the only way to be a master of something, to be really with it. And then you’ll be able to get a good fee for whatever it is. So don’t worry too much. Somebody is interested in everything. And anything you can be interested in you'll find others are.

But it is absolutely stupid to spend your time doing things you don’t like in order to go on spending your time doing things that you don’t like and to teach your children to follow in the same track. See what we are doing, is we’re bringing up children, educating them, to live the same sort of lives we are living. In order that they may justify themselves and find satisfaction in life by bringing up their children, to bring up their children to do the same thing, so it's all retch and no vomit — it never gets there.

Therefore it is so important to consider this question, 'What do I desire?'" —Alan Watts
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Gordon the Drummer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue
RowTimmy
Senior Boarder

Re: On Following One's Bliss

#206373 2 years ago
I am currently following my bliss. Today is my last day of work at a Job I hate. While saying goodbye to my friends there and telling them what my plans are I'm surprised that most say "I wish I could do that". I told everyone that YOU can and owe it to yourself to do what will bring you the most happiness because no one else can or will do it for you. It's hard work and many bumps in the road will appear but keeping your eye on the prize will get you there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, alilfurther, SunshineSue, Gordon the Drummer, Strider1, Cosmic Arkie
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#207067 2 years ago
RowTimmy wrote:
I am currently following my bliss. Today is my last day of work at a Job I hate. While saying goodbye to my friends there and telling them what my plans are I'm surprised that most say "I wish I could do that". I told everyone that YOU can and owe it to yourself to do what will bring you the most happiness because no one else can or will do it for you. It's hard work and many bumps in the road will appear but keeping your eye on the prize will get you there.

Quote of the Year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RowTimmy
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#207076 2 years ago
I am so happy for you Tim, I have taken a similar approach to following my bliss by being very choosy in my relationships keeping them positive and non toxic. In doing this I had to end quite a few which was hard for the people on the other end because they did not understand they were toxic to me . But I felt myself getting all caught up in their stuff, none of it good and it was sucking the life out of me . My world is a much more happier place for it and I have surrounded myself with even more positive and happy people here in this FFF .. much love
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, Strider1, RowTimmy
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#207082 2 years ago
RowTimmy wrote:

I tell you what Tim, just want you to know that you've inspired me to rethink what I am doing in life. I've felt like I'm stuck in a rut for a long time now and it would be good to change that. Change has always been a scary thing for me...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: RowTimmy
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#207119 2 years ago
i lived in ky my whole life, worked from the time i was 16, moved out at 18, did 2 years college and work, then i mental breakdown, quit working, moved outa my apartment, and left town heading to florida with 40 bucks.
i never got to florida, ended up goin to quartzsite for work, then kept heading west, then north. if you have ever been to the southwest you will understand why.
point is, it was the scariest thing i ever did, and everyone of my friends told me i would fail. at best they thought i would have a good time and come home when the non existant money ran out, at worst i would get picked up and raped by drunked hilllbillies.
neither happened.
i had some long daze, and brushes with death, but i am today happier than i have ever been. im not rich, i dont have a girlfriend, but i live in sweetass cabin in norcal, that i can afford, and i dont have ANY debt. if i dont have the money for it, and i dont have the balls to steal it, or so much pride i wont beg for it(this amounts to sticking my finger up at shows) then i do without.
i eat out once a month. seriously. i could afford more, but going through the lean times makes me appriciate what the money could be better spent on, like good pot, or concert tickets.

all my friends back in ky who thought i would be back are still at shitty jobs, with a few more kids, and alot less good times. i seriously think some have actually become republican. no joke. fukn a crazy what happens when you grow up.

i took ramblim jack elliots advice, and it worked out in spades for me so i shall pass it along,
"first, travel around, and see the world, but when you find a place that you like, and you feel like you belong, setttle down and make yourself a home. you can always hit the road again, but you cant go home again"

if where your livin dont feel like home, and ifn you think life sucks, wellyou better do something about it, or learn to drink cheap booze by the galloon.
fyi-kentucky is a beatiful state, but damn even mickey catches charges there.
they piss test you there now b4 you get any foodies, or anything, and if you have pot or anything in your sytsem you are disquilified from recieving aid. crazy draconian shit, mang.
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

#209632 1 year, 11 months ago
Bump.
Takin' it in stride!
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#209647 1 year, 11 months ago
HERES TO BLISS !!!!!!!!!!!