SugarMee
Expert Boarder
hay

Re: Test Batch Chili

#207232 1 year, 12 months ago
Ossumpei wrote:
SugarMee wrote:
I'm starting my chili.

The weather here today: electric blue sky, winds around 15-20 knts. heat index around 90. I'm going to keep the "heat" low in my recipe. If I don't I'm afraid I'll burst into flame.

So, how did it turn out?

It was a great day for some chili and baseball. I didn't have near the amount of ingredients needed to make some as excellent as your recipe has. But I made my families basic chili and it was very tasty with the beer. I got to get some things from the store so I can try your recipe, I know it's delicious! Thanks for posting your recipe, you are quite the chef!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#207255 1 year, 12 months ago
I am nowhere near the chili freak as you, but I did pick up a tip on the Guy Fiero show Diners Drive-ins and Dives that I'd like to pass along.

Whenever I used to make a batch I wouod cook off my beef and add spices and onion, peppers ect. then add the tomato and bean element. I usually did that so I could drain off excess fat from the meat.

But I saw one recipe where the guy threw the meat in with all the ingredients at the start and let it cook together. It definitely produced a better melding of flavor. The meat -- I use beef but i'm sure result would be same with ground turkey or whatever choice --- cooked down to smaller texture which I liked.

t
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#207276 1 year, 12 months ago
Chester,

I'll put the amounts in the next batch, with pictures.

Plus, the process, what gets cooked first, when to put in the ingredients, etc. That plays a big part in it.

The chili cook off pro's are real big on when to put things in.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by Ossumpei.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#207278 1 year, 12 months ago
SugarMee wrote:
Ossumpei wrote:
SugarMee wrote:
I'm starting my chili.

The weather here today: electric blue sky, winds around 15-20 knts. heat index around 90. I'm going to keep the "heat" low in my recipe. If I don't I'm afraid I'll burst into flame.

So, how did it turn out?

It was a great day for some chili and baseball. I didn't have near the amount of ingredients needed to make some as excellent as your recipe has. But I made my families basic chili and it was very tasty with the beer. I got to get some things from the store so I can try your recipe, I know it's delicious! Thanks for posting your recipe, you are quite the chef!!

Chili, beer, baseball, and Key West sound like a great combination. I feel like I run the risk of over doing it with all the ingredients. Somewhere along the line I got it into my head that I needed all that stuff, and happened to make a good batch that time, so it continues. Its really not a whole lot of any one thing, but a little of a lot of things. Its as much as an obsession as it is a hobby, but at least the end product is good food, usually. Thanks for calling me a chef. I kind of wish I was an actual chef, but I feel like more of an artist. Chili is the only food I go to all these lengths to make, they all seem to have their own characteristics, and when its done I move on to the next batch, like a painting or something. At least I have fun trying.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#207279 1 year, 12 months ago
Terrapin Sedation,

Turkey doesn't add that much flavor, its very low fat and has good protein so I use it and try to compensate with some olive oil and spices. I try to keep it as healthy as I can. The turkey sausage is nice though, the caraway seeds are a nice addition and definitely add to the flavor.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#207281 1 year, 12 months ago
Bacon Rocks wrote:
this is so much fun, almost feel like i'm in the kitchen with ya whipping up the next batch. (really wish i was though!)
As far as the pot goes.....oh wait, i mean the kettle.... stainless steel is fine, just not aluminum, cast iron is overboard for this usage. I love the idea of roasting the jalapenos, to me jalapenos are not hot just full of flavor particularly if the seeds are not used. Roasting them will add yet another layer of flavor albeit maybe not necessary if still using the anchos.
but don't forget too many cooks in the kitchen.........

just let your chili flag fly!!!!! I'm there with ya in spirit!!!

I'm going to skip the dried ancho's this time. I don't feel they added as much flavor as I would have liked. I've made some pretty good chili in my steel pot, so for now I'm going to stick with it. Maybe I'll get an enamel one later but I don't feel any immediate need. Roasting the peppers isn't that hard to do, and it adds flavor, so I have to try it this time.

And I quote granny from the Beverly Hillbillies when the hippie asked her how to smoke crawdads..."first, you get a little pot."
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds