• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Re: Test Batch Chili

#206516 1 year, 11 months ago
You're welcome. There's enough tips in this thread to help you make a really good batch.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SugarMee
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#206589 1 year, 11 months ago
Bacon and chocolate has really got me wanting to taste this! Thanks for the invite Bill sorry I missed out! Good luck on your chili competition! You know I will be rooting for YOU!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#206619 1 year, 11 months ago
yum!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
SugarMee
Expert Boarder
hay

#206647 1 year, 11 months ago
I'm starting my chili.

The weather here today: electric blue sky, winds around 15-20 knts. heat index around 90. I'm going to keep the "heat" low in my recipe. If I don't I'm afraid I'll burst into flame.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#206651 1 year, 11 months ago
okay, I just completed reading through this thread....Bill you are a Chili Freak ! and I mean that in the best way. Man the thought and time and ingredients and LOVE that you put forth into you batches is remarkable.

Thank you for sharing your passion with the FFF. I look forward to when we can share a meal again.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206676 1 year, 11 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
Bacon and chocolate has really got me wanting to taste this! Thanks for the invite Bill sorry I missed out! Good luck on your chili competition! You know I will be rooting for YOU!

Thanks Em, it ended up turning out to be pretty good. My neighbors loved it. For me it was ok I guess, just different than what I was expecting.

There's still a lot more if you would like some.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206679 1 year, 11 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
okay, I just completed reading through this thread....Bill you are a Chili Freak ! and I mean that in the best way. Man the thought and time and ingredients and LOVE that you put forth into you batches is remarkable.

Thank you for sharing your passion with the FFF. I look forward to when we can share a meal again.

Thanks Jade, it's a hobby. I do continue to try and perfect it. I have plans for the next batch already. Gotta let my chili freak flag fly!

Thanks to all for the input. It really helps me decide what to do next.

Looking forward to the next time we can hang out and have some fun, maybe share a bowl.

Of chili of course. Lol
Bacon Rocks
Senior Boarder

#207177 1 year, 11 months ago
so Ossumpei, now that the test batch is finished and being enjoyed, what are your plans for the "competition batch chili"?
Do you make it one or two days ahead for it to have time for flavors to permeate? what did you learn from the test batch to bring home that bottle of wine? cocoa or mexican chocolate bar? i'm guessing the beans will begin their soaking tomorrow. inquiring taste buds want to know!! damn i wish i lived closer....
I was standing at the corner
Talking to Miss Brown
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#207202 1 year, 11 months ago
SugarMee wrote:
I'm starting my chili.

The weather here today: electric blue sky, winds around 15-20 knts. heat index around 90. I'm going to keep the "heat" low in my recipe. If I don't I'm afraid I'll burst into flame.

So, how did it turn out?
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#207209 1 year, 11 months ago
Firstly, not to much cocoa. Not that it ruined the test batch, but it was black, and a little unsettling because of it. The competition batch is going to be my usual red, black beans, not to hot, thick tomato paste, several distinct flavor chili. Or at least that's what my goal is. I might roast the jalapeno and green peppers, 1/2 bar Mexican chocolate for flavor and gloss, same meats, crispy bacon ground up into bit size, same ingredients as before. I have to remind myself not to overdo anything, to keep to what I know works, and just vary it slightly with the chocolate and roasted peppers. At least that's what I tell myself. I will probably make it Thursday night, soaking the black beans Wednesday. I always let it set at least overnight to let the flavors get into everything.

I use a steel 10 qt pot, but the chef at the country club suggested cast iron. What's your opinion on that? Also, cast iron or enamel?

I wish you and Chester and most everybody lived closer. We have a pretty good time around here between shows, and I love the folks I do get to hang out with. There's just lots more really nice people we all would like to see more often.

I'll make a thread for the batch. It does help me do better the next time, and I enjoy the chance to hear from the forum.

If I win the wine I'll bring it to the next show I serve chili at as a thanks for all the great advice!
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Ossumpei.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Bacon Rocks
Chester
More or less in line

#207211 1 year, 11 months ago
I wouldn't mind trying to cook a batch myself. Could you give me a general idea as to quantity of ingredients?
I get a pretty good idea from the pictures, so maybe more pictures?
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Bacon Rocks
Senior Boarder

#207222 1 year, 11 months ago
this is so much fun, almost feel like i'm in the kitchen with ya whipping up the next batch. (really wish i was though!)
As far as the pot goes.....oh wait, i mean the kettle.... stainless steel is fine, just not aluminum, cast iron is overboard for this usage. I love the idea of roasting the jalapenos, to me jalapenos are not hot just full of flavor particularly if the seeds are not used. Roasting them will add yet another layer of flavor albeit maybe not necessary if still using the anchos.
but don't forget too many cooks in the kitchen.........

just let your chili flag fly!!!!! I'm there with ya in spirit!!!
I was standing at the corner
Talking to Miss Brown
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds