• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

Re: Test Batch Chili

#206395 2 years ago
Chili ready!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206399 2 years ago
huemoon wrote:
tis the season for chili!

I've never heard of using cocoa in the mix -- reminds me of the Aztec spicy chocolate flavor.

Yummmm! Wish we could all taste test for ya!

Mexican chocolate was my original ingredient, but I went with cocoa instead. They spice it up with cinnamon etc, and from what I hear its pretty good that way. Never had it, and couldn't find it in my grocery store. I'm sure if I go to a Mexican groceria or an international food market I'll be able to find some.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206400 2 years ago
Hey Em, I'm not doing anything today. You're welcome to come over and try a bowl if you like.

Its always nice to see you anyway.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206401 2 years ago
I'm trying the first bowl since setting overnight. It actually came out pretty good, even if its not exactly what I had planned.

A little spicy, and a bit to sweet, but not much. Overall a good batch. Lots of protein and the bacon adds an unusual flavor that's nice with the sweetness.

I'm so picky, and strive for perfection that I'll never find. I find fault in my chili that others would find excellent. Taste is subjective, one man asks for seconds what another man spills.

That is the ongoing saga of Bill and his chili.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#206414 2 years ago
Ossumpei, if you're just tweaking your main chili recipe, I'd recommend that you make a large batch of what you consider your "mother" recipe. Then separate it into a few smaller pots. Label each pot by number and write down the extra ingredients you put into each one, that way you don't have to create from scratch over and over again and you can taste and compare in real time, both immediately after cooking, as well as the next day.

Also, Mexican Chocolate is nothing like cocoa powder, they couldn't be more different. Mexican Chocolate is sold as "Ibarra" Chocolate and you can buy it at Whole Foods and other specialty stores, or online. I recommend buying it and trying again. Cocoa will never give you the same rich texture and flavors that Ibarra will. Good luck!

Ibarra Chocolate online:
http://www.mexgrocer.com/2544.html
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206440 2 years ago
Thanks Katie Mae, that's excellent advice. Mr Strider suggested splitting the batches like that, but for some reason I've developed the habit of trying to make the whole pot the same. I really need to try it your way a few times.

Good advice on the chocolate too. I didn't take into consideration the texture and better flavor of chocolate compared to cocoa. That stuff is very bitter and makes the chili quite dark. I definitely will use that next time.

Another great thing about this forum, community advice.
Chester
More or less in line

#206442 2 years ago
I thought the sugar you added, would offset the bitterness of the cocoa. But I like the idea of using actual chocolate.
I still would get dark, but that Mexican chocolate sounds interesting. I kinda wish I lived closer, so I could try it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206453 2 years ago
It would be nice if more folks lived closer.

We have a great time with the people around here when we can. Chuck and Em are right here, Tim and Sara just a short drive, and Brian and Allison 4 hrs away in KC. We definitely take advantage of living close by.

That's the thing about this forum. We find people we really like but don't live close enough to hang out as much as we would like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Strider1, Bacon Rocks
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#206476 2 years ago
that cocoa your using is special dark which is VERY diffrent than regular cocoa im a chocaholic i know why not use real garlic instead of powder ? same goes for the onion. you can simmer them both in the bacon grease. im sure you'll notice the diffrence.For me nothing beats pork or beef for flavor,the fat is the key to the flavor.browned ground beef or bulf pork sausage. Turkey dont cut it because like you said it has a bland flavor/no fat to it.paste goes a long way and you dont need 2 cans IMHO have you tried the tube type paste? whats nice about that is you squeeze out what you need and can safely store the rest in the fridge for a long time.One last thought why are you suing flavored tomatoe sauces and then adding the same spices?such as oregano bay leaf these are in the italian style tomatoes . Just some thoughts/suggestions not an attack or anything like that
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#206477 2 years ago
i recently made a pot of italian red sauce using only fresh tomatoes,very time consuming but what a diffrence.you have to remove the skins then puree the maters in a food processor and strain the seeds out took 12 hrs to make one huge pot.
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206485 2 years ago
That cocoa was recommended by the executive chef at a country club. I tasted theirs and knew it was bitter. I use more minced garlic, that's what's floating in the pic of the beans. I use turkey because I don't eat beef or pork, just some bacon rarely. I like the thick tomato paste, which is why I use it. Haven't tried the tube stuff. Good idea with the onions, I may try that the next time I add bacon and have the grease handy. I use the same spices that I add because they taste good that way. It seems bland to me without it. Same with the coriander, cumin, and turmeric. I try to make a batch over the top and don't really spare the expenses. I still get more than a weeks worth of healthy meals out of a batch, so it doesn't matter to me.
SugarMee
Expert Boarder
hay

#206512 2 years ago
It's still summertime where I am, but I am craving some good chili right now. I'm gonna make some for dinner tomorrow. Thanks for putting my craving in overdrive
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds