• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Test Batch Chili

#206281 1 year, 11 months ago
I've been doing some research and talking to a few folks, and I'm making a couple of changes in my chili. Nothing to drastic, just enough to hopefully put a little more savory flavors in it. The issue here is that with new ingredients you aren't really sure how it will affect the overall end batch. I want to enter a small chili cook off next weekend, but I don't want to go in cold, so to speak. I need something to eat this week anyway, so I'm making a test batch.

Beans
kidney beans

Spices
cayenne pepper
black pepper
white pepper
coriander
cumin
turmeric
oregano
chili powder
ancho chili powder
thyme
garlic powder
minced garlic
brown sugar
cocoa powder
bay leaves
extra virgin olive oil, cold first pressed

Veggies
scallion
tomato
green pepper
diced tomato chili style
diced tomato Italian style
sweet corn
tomato paste, roasted
jalapeno
dried ancho chile, soaked to refresh it

Meat
ground turkey breast
turkey breast, cubed
turkey sausage, sweet
thick cut hickory smoked bacon

The changes are the addition of cocoa powder. A gentleman at RR suggested it, (sorry I forgot his name, but he is a member), and so did the chef's at a country club where I have an assignment for work. I've heard that before, but really need to use it again.
image_2012-10-20-3.jpg

secondly I'm using dried ancho chiles, soaked to refresh them. Something about using the vegetable instead of the spice powder.
image_2012-10-20-2.jpg

The bacon should help round it out. I'm going to gook the bacon first, and add it towards the end of cooking, with the meat. This way I can drain the grease, instead of cooking it in there. I've been thinking of adjusting my turkey, chicken, fish diet and adding some red meat, I just want to start with bacon. I'm using thick cut hickory smoked bacon because at least a few of us know Bacon Rocks.
The olive oil should add flavor and help spread the spices without being to greasy.
Also, and its a big also, I'm going really easy on the heat. It seems to get hotter than I expect it to, and this time I'm just going to heat it up at the end to a light amount, not like the super heat from the party at my house. Man that was waaayyy to much.
People at RR were very complimentary, I love that BTW. I'm going to make a sign for my kitchen that says "will work for praise". I felt as if it was to hot for some folks though, and they were being polite by not saying so. I really feel that people need to be very direct with me, tell me exactly what they think on any subject, not just food. I love that too, more so than praise.
I'm roasting the tomato paste by heating it on the stove until it turns a darker shade, almost brown. This should bring out some excellent flavor from it.
I'm going to cook the brown sugar for a bit, until it caramelizes some. I should be able to tell by taste.

image_2012-10-20.jpg
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Ossumpei.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, Bacon Rocks
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Test Batch Chili

#206282 1 year, 11 months ago
Wow! Impressive. I'd say you are approaching the level of master chef. That recipe looks really good. I would love to try it.
It really seems you have it down almost to a science. Yet still, a labor of love. And I thought your chili at RR was perfect for
spiciness. Really, I was being honest. And I though everyone liked it. I do think the heat may have challenged a few folks,
and I like spicy food, but overall, it was greatly appreciated, and well liked by all. I do recall that conversation about the cocoa
powder, but I can't recall who it was with. I just remember you talking about it.
Anyway, keep us informed of how the cook-off goes.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206287 1 year, 11 months ago
Well thanks Chester. I'm considering myself an artist these days. I do enjoy creating this. I try to treat it like a science, be precise, careful not to overdo things. I write these threads to remind me how I did the last one and learn from them, posting it helps. I knew it was to hot for some people at RR, I could tell. Overall it was still a good batch, and good for you too for that matter. I think the guy at RR had read the threads, but maybe not, he was just talking from experience. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

I'll post the next batch here. The winner gets a bottle of wine, so its no big deal for me, just the experience.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206312 1 year, 11 months ago
That's why you make a test batch when using stuff you aren't used to. There's to much cocoa powder and sugar too. Not enough to taste like hot cocoa with meat, but to much for chili. I need to stick to my regular recipe and
Just add a thing or two. Not change the whole thing.

But like the mistakes I make with chili, it's still edible and not all that bad tasting. So it won't go to waste.

Hmm... Maybe I'll give some to my neighbor for loaning me his weed whacked this summer. That's putting it to good use.
Chester
More or less in line

#206315 1 year, 11 months ago
It's easy to overdo cocoa. Unless your making chocolate. It's a strong flavor, and dark chocolate too.
It's good you tried it ahead of time. I checked out some recipes on line. Particularly ones using cocoa.
Most call for between a tsp. and a tbsp. How much did you use? In the right balance, it could make for
a very rich chili. I would lean towards the smaller amount.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Chester.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206317 1 year, 11 months ago
I used 4 tbsp, half would have more than enough. It's a ten quart pot so I figured that was just a start.

You're right, it's very bitter and strong.

Too bad, at one point of the process it was excellent. Much better than I expected. Sucks when you over do it with one or two ingredients.

Live and learn.
Bacon Rocks
Senior Boarder

#206339 1 year, 11 months ago
wow!! that is quite some list of ingredients and truly a labor of love!!! Getting me inspired to have to make a batch tomorrow.
You know how i feel about adding the swine!!! Love ya!!! It is amazing how differently people go about making chili, that is why chili cook-offs are so much fun!!! I'm betting you will do really well!!!

I did not get to try your RR chili, what did you use that made it so spicy. I agree with chester, i love spicy food and firmly believe that chili is meant to be spicy. Judging by your ingredients i would guess you could go hard on the heat cuz you also have some sweetness being added. Have to say, the cocoa is a new one on me, very interesting and curious as to the depth of flavor. Do you think that using turkey vs. beef has much impact on the amount of cocoa used, i could see the beef being able to handle a bit more. I would of loved to have been a part of that conversation. Mystery man with the cocoa please step forward!!!!

A big question for me is, Beans? I grew up with beans in our chili, but have come to learn that many people don't include them. I have a running joke with the chef i work for as to the bean issue, he doesn't use any and i tell him he is making a meat sauce!!! However on the other end of the spectrum is vegetarian chili that is just beans, and thats what i call that, a bowl of beans!!!

I love the use of sweet corn in chili, nice texture and that is my biggest source of sweetness in my chili (i don't use sugar) besides my heavy use of sweet yellow onions.
I also love your use of multiple peppers.

Do you serve cornbread with your chili?
I was standing at the corner
Talking to Miss Brown
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Bacon Rocks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ossumpei
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#206349 1 year, 11 months ago
i could REALLY go for a bowl of the RR chili right about now
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#206361 1 year, 11 months ago
I like to use several ingredients. Kind of like Indian cooking, a little bit of a lot of things. I learned it that way when I was teaching myself how to cook. The more ingredients the less batches I ruined, so I've stuck with it. On a really good batch you can tell them apart when tasting. Some on the tongue and some in the aftertaste.

I use three things for heat. Black peppercorns in a tea strainer so they can be removed, crushed pepper and cayenne. I only used about 9 or 10 peppercorns this time. Overall the heat wasn't to much, and I added some more cayenne at the end because it was a little to sweet, and that helped balance it.

One or two tbsp of cocoa powder is fine. This batch had 4, but it didn't ruin it, it just was too black. It definitely helped the flavor, and is a common 'secret' ingredient I have found.

I had to go with the bacon also. It adds depth and savoriness. Had to throw in the Bacon Rocks reference for a grin too.

The turkey itself doesn't add much flavor, except the sausage, which is excellent with the caraway seeds. I'm sure beef or pork are different.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the beans. They're the first part and included in every chili I make. I used kidney beans soaked overnight. I always use dried beans and soak them instead of canned. Some contests don't allow beans in the chili. Not for me, I like them for the nutritional value, taste and texture. My turkey batch gets one bag of beans, and the veggie gets two, usually black and pinto or kidney. Each to their own on that, but I have to eat this and I want it to be healthy as well as tasty.

I put to much brown sugar in this batch. It tastes a little like sweet BBQ sauce. I put in with the spices, before the veggies, and it uses less that way. A dumb mistake on my part, not tasting it as I added it, just like the cocoa. I've used yellow onions in the past, and probably will in the next batch, along with a touch of brown sugar. I like the sweetness with the spice. I put the water from the can in along with the corn too.

Usually at home I don't serve cornbread, I like garlic bread instead.

I've been using my steel pot, but a chef suggested cast iron. He said the steel reacts with the acidity in the tomato's. Any opinions on that?

At least the batches I make these days are all edible and usually pretty good. This was a bit sweet, but that's the way it goes. It's a hobby I do love, and the byproduct is healthy and tasty meals for a week or longer, so its worthwhile. Plus I have a lot of fun talking about it too. Thanks for your input folks, it definitely helps, and I will take it into consideration.

Burt, all I can say is that my door is always open to family and there's usually chili to eat. Hope things are going well with your move and new situation in California.

The beans, bay leaves and peppercorns in the strainer.
image_2012-10-21.jpg
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#206363 1 year, 11 months ago
i have entered 3 contests with my chili and won two! the batch i thought i had it perfect did not win! i have found that simple is better with the contest- the people your are serving are not necessarily well trained palettes.
and i will agree with chester and dont overdo the choc. i use 3 hersheys kisses for a whole crock pot.
and i always use and good ipa or porter as well. always make mine the day before or two so all the amazing flavors can meld together! good luck! and taste testing is the best!
i make a killer pepperjack cornbread that plays just right off the chili!
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds