• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Dylan and the Dead

#205313 1 year, 11 months ago
ive been saying for years that bob dylan writes good songs but everyone else plays them better..All along the Watchtower is a perfect example
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#205812 1 year, 11 months ago
nycdave wrote:
Jerry also joined Bob during show in the early 1990's.

I didn't know until just recently that Garcia actually sat in with Dylan's band three times. The first couple of shows can be streamed at tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/b.html

Sunday, Nov 16, 1980
The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/1440
To Ramona
Ain't Gonna Go To Hell
Girl From The North Country
Slow Train
Covenant Woman
Simple Twist Of Fate
The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar

Tuesday, May 5, 1992
www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/2022
Cat's In The Well
Idiot Wind

Sunday, Jun 25, 1995
RFK Stadium, Washington, DC
www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/2368
It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
Rainy Day Woman #12 and 35
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Gordon the Drummer.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#205908 1 year, 11 months ago
Dylan joined the GD for two songs @ RFK Stadium on 7/7/86. He along with Tom Petty and the Heartbrakers opened the show. The GD played an abbreviated (5 songs) first set (do no doubt to heat and health issues).
Set 1:
Ramble On Rose
Minglewood
It Must have Been the Roses
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - W/ Bob Dylan
Desolation Row - W/ Bob Dylan

Bob D also joined the boys for the encore at Madison Sqare Garden, NYC on 10/17/94. The encore that night was Rainy Day Women # 12 & 35.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by nycdave.
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#217195 1 year, 9 months ago
GREAT interview with the Bobster (this was published in the print edition of Rolling Stone over two months ago, but this is the first time I have seen the whole thing posted online) :

rollingstoneindia.com/the-bob-dylan-interview/
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#217196 1 year, 9 months ago
Gordon the Drummer wrote:
nycdave wrote:
Jerry also joined Bob during show in the early 1990's.

I didn't know until just recently that Garcia actually sat in with Dylan's band three times. The first couple of shows can be streamed at tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/b.html

Sunday, Nov 16, 1980
www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/1440
To Ramona
Ain't Gonna Go To Hell
Girl From The North Country
Slow Train
Covenant Woman
Simple Twist Of Fate
The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar

Tuesday, May 5, 1992
www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/2022
Cat's In The Well
Idiot Wind

Sunday, Jun 25, 1995
RFK Stadium, Washington, DC
www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/2368
It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
Rainy Day Woman #12 and 35

Ok i am hear to educate.. Dylan was going through his "religious" stage in 1980.... he was at that point regarded as almost a has been.... I remember coming home on a trolley from some show or bucs game? ... and this guy gets on and had just come from seeing Dylan at the Stanley..worst show he ever saw.. Dylan is washed up singing none of his "good stuff".... well I read somewhere more than once.. you can google it and find it I'm sure... Jerry got wind of how "bad" things were going for Dylan on tour and came down to the Warfield and plugged in to help Bobby D out. Dylan never forgot it and referred to Jerry as ( this is off the top of my head) "saving" both him and his career (LOL) ... and would be forever in Jerrys debt. ( I'll let someone else get the exact quotes but thats a paraphrase of what I recall reading more than once)...on another note... I was at that 95 show and that 15-20 minutes? of music was just exactly perfect. Jerry and Dylan beaming ..great version of ITALYL...and Jerry & dylan nearly perma grinning "everybody must get stoned"...by 95 standards tha was a pretty good dead show too.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#217210 1 year, 9 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
Dylan was going through his "religious" stage in 1980.... he was at that point regarded as almost a has been.... I remember coming home on a trolley from some show or bucs game? ... and this guy gets on and had just come from seeing Dylan at the Stanley..worst show he ever saw.. Dylan is washed up singing none of his "good stuff".... well I read somewhere more than once.. you can google it and find it I'm sure... Jerry got wind of how "bad" things were going for Dylan on tour and came down to the Warfield and plugged in to help Bobby D out. Dylan never forgot it and referred to Jerry as ( this is off the top of my head) "saving" both him and his career (LOL) ... and would be forever in Jerrys debt. ( I'll let someone else get the exact quotes but thats a paraphrase of what I recall reading more than once)

Here it is, from Robert Greenfield's Dark Star:

books.google.com/books?isbn=0062268317

nicki scully: Bob Dylan was doing his "You Got to Serve Somebody" tour and he was playing the Warfield and it was not selling well. Bill Graham got this bright idea that if he got Jerry to play with him, he'd fill the house. So he called up and got me on the phone and said, "Will you go down and ask Jerry if he wants to play with Bob Dylan?" I got really excited and I ran down the stairs and I said, "Jerry, do you want to play with Bob Dylan?" And Jerry said, "Who wants to know?" I said, "Bill's on the phone. He wants to know if. .." He said, "Is it Bill or is it Bob who wants me to come play?" I went up and I asked Bill and Bill said, "Bob." I went down and told Jerry and he said, "Yeah." Parish showed up with his guitar that night at the show and Dylan's people were like, "What the hell's going on?". . . The show sold out and Jerry played in the background but it was done and it worked. Jerry got home and he said to me, "Dylan didn't know I was coming." I went, "Oh, shit." I felt like the scum of the earth. Like I was going to be on his shit list forever. Then he said to me, "But it was worth it. Because it has always been my dream."

• • • •

sandy rothman: I introduced myself to Deborah at the funeral but she was pretty dismissive because behind me at that particular moment, Dylan was paying his respects to Jerry and she was just really fixing on him. He was really trying to get out of there and she stopped him when he walked by. He had his head down. His eyes were really red and when she came to a little momentary pause in what she was saying, he looked at her with those incredible steely ice blue eyes and said, "He was there for me when nobody was." And he walked around her and split out of there as fast as he could.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds