• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: Deadheads who jump OFF the Bus???!!!

#20739 2 years, 11 months ago
They were never on the bus. They were on the bandwagon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, Abba, BEW
BEW
Junior Boarder

#20933 2 years, 11 months ago
Love they were never on the bus...on the bandwagon!

I think being on the bus means you are living on some deeper, out of your control and really meaningful level and for some people that's too real...They need the plastic comfort that pop, everyday culture gives...and they want to return to a numb way of life that's more reassuring.

My take...from what I've witnessed with the friends who fell off.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Annie
Fresh Boarder

#21414 2 years, 11 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
They were never on the bus. They were on the bandwagon.

Well said.

I had a friend who was a "deadhead" then hated the dead and would not even listen to their music for about 5-6 years. This was after she was in a relationship with a dude who would ONLY listen to the dead, nothing else. This was upsetting to me because she was my homie...

Recently, she saw the Grateful Dead movie showing in SF and it reminded her of how amazing the music is....now she wants to go to Furthur at shoreline with me!! Woot woooooot!!!
Quigon
Junior Boarder

#21419 2 years, 11 months ago
The bus stops many times. If'n you see that it's your stop you get off, if not, you stay on??
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#21450 2 years, 11 months ago
granted i just got on the bus myself ive seen it. my two friends (p and s) and i got on at the same time in late 2008 and we did 5 shows over the next two years. suddenly p decided he didnt want to go to the next show cause he didnt have money. that was a lame excuse seeing as how he didnt have a job for the first 5 shows, then got one, then said he had no money. it was strange he tripped on mushrooms 3 days in a row and ever since whenever i put on the dead he just gets a grim unhappy look on his face. he did not come with s and i to show 6 7 or 8 and now he is not going to show 9. i dont understand it but its almost like the mushrooms scared him away. must have been something of a trip.
BEW
Junior Boarder

#21768 2 years, 11 months ago
I can understand if the shrooms scared him but to amputate such an essential part of yourself...
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#21772 2 years, 11 months ago
its unlikely he tripped very hard the 2nd and 3rd day, enless he ate like a 1/2 oz or more but its still not the same one day after the other. Mushrooms are not only very different for every person but every trip is usually different from the last for each individual person.

sounds weird but you never know how somebody else could feel on them....
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#21807 2 years, 11 months ago
i had a friend, who thought of tour and the good ol' grateful dead as "kids stuff" mind you this was back in the mid ninties. she had grown out of it, but it still had a big effect on her. she just thought coke and being a club girl was more adult than doses and shows. go fig.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#21860 2 years, 11 months ago
I got off the bus for a while. In Jan. '79 I saw the last two Keith and Donna shows at the Spectrum and I was pretty disappointed. Looking back there was actually a lot of hot playing but compared with '74 and '77, it felt like they just didn't care. As much as anything it was probably a good opportunity for me to get away from the people I was hanging out with. It was the late '70s, remember, and there were an awful lot of hard drugs around. What had been a basically positive scene had turned into a dead end in about two years.

I started listening to a lot of P-Funk, experimental New Wave like Talking Heads and the Residents, avant garde jazz like Ornette Coleman. And then, in 1985, some friends -- who hadn't been a part of that earlier scene -- talked me into going to Hershey Park, a wonderful, wonderful show. And based on everything I'd been listening to, I had a whole new way of hearing the band. And that was the beginning of a much deeper obsession.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
jbyerly
Junior Boarder

#21863 2 years, 11 months ago
My last 2 shows with Jerry was Oxford Plains in Maine in 1988 and Highgate , Vt in 1995. I never jumped off the bus between those years, just followed other interests. After Highgate, VT I knew I was done with shows. As it turns out this was his last year with us. I had no desire to see all the different combo's that the boys put together. BUT I immersed myself in archive.org downloading all the show that I attended and listened to the Grateful Dead everyday. I don't consider this jumping off the bus, I just was not interested in anything that was not The Grateful Dead. I found myself at a Furthur show in NH in 2010 and now 2011 in SC and I will be at every show I have time and money for.
Philzone Phan
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
rukind
Fresh Boarder

#21868 2 years, 11 months ago
A lot of people seek different answers to the same questions. So many jumped on the bus for various reasoning, some to party (Late 80's crowd), some for the community spirit, some for the music, etc etc. We take what we need and we leave the rest. Others get diverted into different areas of life too, which we find some returning to the music!
John K said it best, The Grateful dead music is timeless, it can be applied to ones life in 1690 or in 2290.
I do know one thing though, The 4.1.11 Hampton show is about that change. If we close our eyes its almost as if Jerry is still on stage, but the reality is that everything is in a constant flaux of change. And the band sounds true to my soul today as it did in 1977.
"So Many Roads to Easy My Soul"
Be well my friends
The following user(s) said Thank You: BEW
BEW
Junior Boarder

#21879 2 years, 11 months ago
Touring with your ex-husband? Wow! that proves love of the music transcends all earthy concerns such as marriage, divorce etc. So cool...glad you found your way back! Good point...sometimes people get off the bus...looks around and get on at another stop, like Furthur!
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds