• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Deadheads who jump OFF the Bus???!!!

#21860 3 years, 4 months ago
I got off the bus for a while. In Jan. '79 I saw the last two Keith and Donna shows at the Spectrum and I was pretty disappointed. Looking back there was actually a lot of hot playing but compared with '74 and '77, it felt like they just didn't care. As much as anything it was probably a good opportunity for me to get away from the people I was hanging out with. It was the late '70s, remember, and there were an awful lot of hard drugs around. What had been a basically positive scene had turned into a dead end in about two years.

I started listening to a lot of P-Funk, experimental New Wave like Talking Heads and the Residents, avant garde jazz like Ornette Coleman. And then, in 1985, some friends -- who hadn't been a part of that earlier scene -- talked me into going to Hershey Park, a wonderful, wonderful show. And based on everything I'd been listening to, I had a whole new way of hearing the band. And that was the beginning of a much deeper obsession.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
jbyerly
Junior Boarder

#21863 3 years, 4 months ago
My last 2 shows with Jerry was Oxford Plains in Maine in 1988 and Highgate , Vt in 1995. I never jumped off the bus between those years, just followed other interests. After Highgate, VT I knew I was done with shows. As it turns out this was his last year with us. I had no desire to see all the different combo's that the boys put together. BUT I immersed myself in archive.org downloading all the show that I attended and listened to the Grateful Dead everyday. I don't consider this jumping off the bus, I just was not interested in anything that was not The Grateful Dead. I found myself at a Furthur show in NH in 2010 and now 2011 in SC and I will be at every show I have time and money for.
Philzone Phan
rukind
Fresh Boarder

#21868 3 years, 4 months ago
A lot of people seek different answers to the same questions. So many jumped on the bus for various reasoning, some to party (Late 80's crowd), some for the community spirit, some for the music, etc etc. We take what we need and we leave the rest. Others get diverted into different areas of life too, which we find some returning to the music!
John K said it best, The Grateful dead music is timeless, it can be applied to ones life in 1690 or in 2290.
I do know one thing though, The 4.1.11 Hampton show is about that change. If we close our eyes its almost as if Jerry is still on stage, but the reality is that everything is in a constant flaux of change. And the band sounds true to my soul today as it did in 1977.
"So Many Roads to Easy My Soul"
Be well my friends
The following user(s) said Thank You: BEW
BEW
Junior Boarder

#21879 3 years, 4 months ago
Touring with your ex-husband? Wow! that proves love of the music transcends all earthy concerns such as marriage, divorce etc. So cool...glad you found your way back! Good point...sometimes people get off the bus...looks around and get on at another stop, like Furthur!
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#22138 3 years, 4 months ago
Not that unusual, really. The friends that took me to Hershey Park were an ex-girlfriend and her then-current boyfriend. She and the husband she married after that boyfriend hang out with me and my wife all the time.

One of my best friends, actually.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#22150 3 years, 4 months ago
that 85 hersery park was great i remmber dancing barefoot in the pouring rain while steam rose off the crowd
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#22272 3 years, 4 months ago
Yes, I remember that steam too. Wonderful day.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
BEW
Junior Boarder

#22298 3 years, 4 months ago
Wow you saw the steam too ??!! I always thought it was the amazing veggies I took before the show...
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#22328 3 years, 4 months ago
karma for steam
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
CinnamonGirl53
Junior Boarder

#22345 3 years, 4 months ago
folk I know that used to tour non-stop in GD heyday...became more and more burned out & jaded at shows....'not another dark star' was an actual complaint that I heard regularly. Eventually, many just dropped touring. I never did heavy continual touring. When they came within reasonable distance, I'd try to get a ticket to see them. I first saw GD in Wembly UK, 1972 (where I was living at the time) and I have loved them and their consequent reincarnations since. Some are actually heading back since the formation of Further...
*pict groover*
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds