• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
BEW
Junior Boarder

Deadheads who jump OFF the Bus???!!!

#20466 3 years, 4 months ago
I've had a few friends who suddenly jump off the bus, refusing to listen to the Dead etc...and refusing to go to shows...but and it's not because they can't find Wharfrats...Don't understand how you can amputate such an essential part of yourself...
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: Deadheads who jump OFF the Bus???!!!

#20467 3 years, 4 months ago
that's different. Never ran into that before. I know after awhile I need to listen to other kinds of music so I don't burn myself out on the same band by I always find myself coming back.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#20472 3 years, 4 months ago
after jerry died i got off for awhile didnt like torturing myself ,after hearing the last tour furthur did im back on
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#20479 3 years, 4 months ago
I have seen this happen first hand. An old girlfriend of mine that I did many shows with in the 80's and who was very obsessed with the whole thing suddenly lost interest around 1990. I found it hard to understand and still do. I guess maybe for her it was a passing phase and the music didn't imbed itself in her soul like it did for so many of us. However, when Jer passed she was very emotionally affected by it just like all of us, so part of her was still a Deadhead. I feel blessed that this music still inspires me thirty years later.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: captaintony, DeadHead420
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#20555 3 years, 4 months ago
people get on and off the bus all the time
I listen to the Dead for a while then PL&F's then Ratdog and mix it all in with other bands to keep things fresh
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
reb
Visitor

#20563 3 years, 4 months ago
I think when something touches us as deeply as the dead experience does it can scare people to go that deep into something.

I've seen woman give up dead for the man in their life, that is particularly shocking cause the man usually disappears before long anyway.

My experience with life coming to a crashing halt when Jerry died was the worst of my life. I went spinning and ended up walking out on my marriage which was the biggest mistake of my life. We were a deadhead couple. Anyway I suffered through the various incarnations that came along at the local furthur festivals featuring cover bands like the zen tricksters, Then we got Ratdog and the Phil lesh and Friend's various incarnations which was something, but the lack of JG was overwhelming and I just couldn't enjoy myself. I packed it in briefly.

BUT, I got back on the bus on 11-30-01, when PLQ played at the Beacon. It was a birthday gift ticket from my ex and it was so healing (911 trauma fresh). He called me up and said you just have to go and see this new Phil Lesh lineup. It is really good again. Warren lifted me up that night for the first time since Jerry left the scene. He played "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and I felt a personal healing.

I kept going to shows from that point, although I cried way through the NYE shows at the Kaiser with PLQ and Ratdog (Crusader Rabbit) 2001/2002.

Slowly it got happy again for me and we did some Ratdog, Phil Lesh & Friends, Other Ones, The Dead, but with less fervor than we had approached the GD.

Then along came Furthur and it is just like the dead were alive again. I am now touring with my ever-loving deadhead ex-husband and I never had such a good time (and hope to have a good time more). It feels like old times all over again.

The time to get back on the bus is NOW.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by .
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#20569 3 years, 4 months ago
Glad to see you back Reb
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#20585 3 years, 4 months ago
Just remember these songs will live on forever and they will be there everytime people get on and off the bus .Like going home , warm and fuzzy
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#20615 3 years, 4 months ago
for shame how utterly SAD !!!!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
RadioFlyer
Fresh Boarder

#20624 3 years, 4 months ago
"Then along came Furthur and it is just like the dead were alive again. I am now touring with my ever-loving deadhead ex-husband and I never had such a good time (and hope to have a good time more). It feels like old times all over again."

I know exactly what you mean. Got on the Bus in 1977 and stayed. The thing is I saw Ratdog once, Phil & Friends once, the other ones once, the Dead zero. I've been to see Furthur 13 times in a year and a half. Truly the vibe is back for real. They really have tapped into just the right thing. I was at one Furthur show and the whole time I kept imaging Jerry in the audience as their biggest fan. I'm sure he wants them to look Further and not long for the old days of the Grateful Dead. I've never been more on the bus.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds