• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

Re: What is the premier east coast outdoor venue?

#201222 1 year, 12 months ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
sweetwilliamisdead
Junior Boarder

#201232 1 year, 12 months ago
kevin wrote:

you've obviously never been to bethel, it's no shed. Jones beach is NY hype, nice views of the ocean, but can be a hassle, bethel is the best place in the Northeast and Ive been to many different venues for shows in many parts of the country. You should plan a visit next summer

man im not saying bethel isnt awesome or even not the premiere east coast venue, but it is definetly a shed. I can tell from pictures that it is basically set up like all major outdoor venues, covered seats and an open lawn. im sure there are things that make the venue great and standout, but the design of were the music is actually watched is nothing special.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#201238 1 year, 12 months ago
I loved Merriweather, but gelston castel , bethe:) l and spac are great too , lets face it where ever you can see further it is the best right??????
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#201241 1 year, 12 months ago
all of the places alilfurthur mentioned in NY are in the middle of nowhere, nothing but farms and or lakes/mountains, definitely a different feel from any suburban sheds, I like mann also as SMH referenced for different reasons, pics don't do any place justice, you just gotta poke around and decide for yourself
-- smell every flower --
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#201243 1 year, 12 months ago
Call me crazy, but I think my favorite east coast outdoor venues are RFK in DC or even Giant Stadium in NJ. Something about 80,000 fans inside and more outside that makes it beyond magical.

But they are clearly not the must beautiful or magical venues to see most shows.

They do become alive when our circus comes to town. We bring our own great vibes.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#201244 1 year, 12 months ago
spring mountain high wrote:
the mann is a beautiful venue, albeit not one designed for rock shows...interesting architecture, park setting

This is one Northeast Venue I will skip every time, no idea why Furthur even bothers with this one. It's old, rundown, in a bad part of Philly and loaded with Nitrous Mafia. Sounded real bad on the lawn, forget about it.
Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
DigiGal
Senior Boarder

#201245 1 year, 12 months ago
SPAC is nice for sure but Bethel is superb.

SPAC 2011 -->> archive.org/details/furthur2011-07-19.vp...igigal.116212.flac16

Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by DigiGal.
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#201246 1 year, 12 months ago
DigiGal wrote:
the mann is a beautiful venue, albeit not one designed for rock shows...interesting architecture, park setting

This is one Northeast Venue I will skip every time, no idea why Furthur even bothers with this one. It's old, rundown, in a bad part of Philly and loaded with Nitrous Mafia. Sounded real bad on the lawn, forget about it.

I agree and disagree, the entire city is a "bad" part of philadelphia, nitrous scene post show is shitty, BUT it is in the middle of a massive park so you don't feel the urban part so much, reminds me of roosevelt park across from the spectrum, the reserved section is pretty good for sound and it's not really rundown, just wasn't built for rock so much as symphony shows
-- smell every flower --
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by kevin.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#201255 1 year, 12 months ago
My favorite east coast venues are all indoors, but that's a different topic for a different day

Of the outdoor ones I've been to I'd say Bethel and Merriweather are my two favorites

Someone, I forgot who it was (sorry), said Marvin's Mountaintop and I will completely agree. I wish All Good had never left there, but I'm thankful I got to go to the Mountaintop

And no offense to the people who enjoy the Mann, but that's one of my least favorite venues. I will agree it is cool having it in the middle of the park, and we certainly had fun there this year, but the staff has no idea what they are doing; the crowd is always too rowdy; and you're forced between choosing a lawn or terrace seat, or an orchestra where you are stuck underneath the shed that gets so much hotter than anywhere I've ever been
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#201258 1 year, 12 months ago
As a disclaimer, I'm biased about the Mann due to a real negative experience the first year I went. I've never been a huge fan of Philadelphia either haha, I swore I would never go back to the Mann, and I winded up back there this past summer. Sometimes the music is more important
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
deadhed4life34
Junior Boarder

#201284 1 year, 12 months ago
saratoga, bethel, jones beach, the mann, merriweather, bayfront amphitheater
DigiGal
Senior Boarder

#201304 1 year, 12 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
As a disclaimer, I'm biased about the Mann due to a real negative experience the first year I went. I've never been a huge fan of Philadelphia either haha, I swore I would never go back to the Mann

This is true for me, I never even tracked out my 7/10/2010 recording from there because the sound was so bad and couldn't even see the band on the lawn. No offense to those who like it but I don't know how Mann could even qualify for a list of premier east coast outdoor venues unless you haven't been to the others mentioned.

As far as taping my favorites are indoors as well but Bethel, SPAC and Gelston are all nice sounding outdoor venues. Bethel has the best of everything so it is definitely my personal favorite.

Panorama of Furthur at Bethel 2012 -->> a.yfrog.com/img862/4494/g04gk.jpg
Last Edit: 1 year, 12 months ago by DigiGal.
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds