• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

What is the premier east coast outdoor venue?

#200617 1 year, 9 months ago
If the government was building a wall similar to that real big one in China along the eastern border of Ohio all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico and you had one night with your favorite band (duh) at one outdoor venue in the soon to be restricted area (east of the wall) where would you want that one night to be? I have never attended a show east of Riverbend (Cincinnati) but since the bands I like seem to to like playing there I think I need to get out east. So is there a "red rocks" or "gorge" of the east? Is there a venue that has all the things that make a trip great (places to stay, access to the venue, easy going security etc)?

Thanks for any feedback,

Josh
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Chester
More or less in line

Re: What is the premier east coast outdoor venue?

#200633 1 year, 9 months ago
I haven't been to any venue anywhere out here, that can compare with the beauty of Red Rocks.
But there are a few nice venues. Bethel, and Merriweather post pavillion have to be in the top ten.
But I'm sure there are others just as nice, or nicer.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
paulr
Junior Boarder

#200714 1 year, 9 months ago
Gelston Castle, Herkimer NY was pretty cool. Big party in a farm field all day and then over the top of the hill overlooking Mohawk Valley...... Furthur at the bottom of the big grassy hillside.......
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#200721 1 year, 9 months ago
paulr wrote:
Gelston Castle, Herkimer NY was pretty cool. Big party in a farm field all day and then over the top of the hill overlooking Mohawk Valley...... Furthur at the bottom of the big grassy hillside.......

Gelston Castle was pretty neat
Bethel Woods is Gelston on steroids
-- smell every flower --
mddichard07
Junior Boarder

#200752 1 year, 9 months ago
I would have to vote for Marvin's Mountaintop where All Good used to be held but if we're sticking with concert venues then probably Bethel
www.justinhjacobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/splash_2.jpg
cosmiccharlesgdf
Fresh Boarder

#200766 1 year, 9 months ago
I think one of my favorites on the east coast is spac. Saratoga performing arts center. I saw the dead there with my dad. one of my favorite shows ever.
cosmiccharlesgdf
Fresh Boarder

#200770 1 year, 9 months ago
An awsome smallish festival on the east coast is strange creek. I believe the town is greensborough, mass. Awsome festival venue.
sweetwilliamisdead
Junior Boarder

#200886 1 year, 9 months ago
well ive traveled all over the east coast to see furthur, but mainly only in the south east for outdoor venue shows. I know there are some great outdoor venues like jones beach up north so im sure im short sighted on this one. It seems to me like a lot of outdoor sheds are the same for the most part. One of the most surprisingly pleasant to me was the place furthur played in simpsonville sc in the summer of 2011. Also chastain park amphitheater in ga would be pretty sweet if it wasnt a nightmare to park and logistical stuff like that, i caught moe and the allman bros there this year. Ive been to merriweather post and most of the major outdoor sheds south of that and nothing stands head and shoulders above the rest.
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#200931 1 year, 9 months ago
kevin wrote:
paulr wrote:

Gelston Castle was pretty neat
Bethel Woods is Gelston on steroids

QFT - Still not like Red Rocks but Bethel is awesome and it's a great sounding venue too...
Bethel 2012 -->> archive.org/details/furthur2012-07-15.ak...igigal.121348.flac16
Bethel 2011 -->> archive.org/details/furthur2011-07-16.vp...igigal.117503.flac16

Below is what I think of when it comes to Gelston Castle, sound was good and view was nice but it took an hour to travel the last three miles...
Gelston 2010 -->> archive.org/details/furthur2010-07-03.vp...igigal.113098.flac16

Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by DigiGal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#200979 1 year, 9 months ago
sweetwilliamisdead wrote:
well ive traveled all over the east coast to see furthur, but mainly only in the south east for outdoor venue shows. I know there are some great outdoor venues like jones beach up north so im sure im short sighted on this one. It seems to me like a lot of outdoor sheds are the same for the most part. One of the most surprisingly pleasant to me was the place furthur played in simpsonville sc in the summer of 2011. Also chastain park amphitheater in ga would be pretty sweet if it wasnt a nightmare to park and logistical stuff like that, i caught moe and the allman bros there this year. Ive been to merriweather post and most of the major outdoor sheds south of that and nothing stands head and shoulders above the rest.

you've obviously never been to bethel, it's no shed. Jones beach is NY hype, nice views of the ocean, but can be a hassle, bethel is the best place in the Northeast and Ive been to many different venues for shows in many parts of the country. You should plan a visit next summer
-- smell every flower --
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds