• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
kevin
Platinum Boarder
Posts:3101

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198408 1 year, 6 months ago
kevin wrote:
Why is Romney a better choice? I don't want to hear about everything Obama has not done, but rather what has Romney done to prove himself the better man for the job. Cutting medicare and social security has me very scared to vote for this 1%er, but perhaps someone can tell me why I'm wrong?


There are other reasons to vote Obama out, and make no mistake that is the primary reason why I'm voting Romney. Too many to type in here. One could write a book


Tdog, you replied to my question with "you are wrong" and then never answered my question. There are huge differences in the personal finances of obama and romney, that is a fact. What has romney proposed to do to help the middle class and/or create sustainable jobs for the middle class? That is what my vote is based on, not because Obama hasn't fixed the country in 4 years. You do understand the rich keep getting richer and the middle class is quickly being squeezed out right? Obama has not helped this by allowing illegals to overrun the country and push for welfare programs, but he also isnt the poster boy for the 1% which Romney certainly is. If you can explain why Romney will do more for ME than obama, I'm all ears.
gone are the days we stopped to decide, where we should go we just ride
The following user(s) said Thank You: saylorsong
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1497

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198413 1 year, 6 months ago
I don't ever recall Obama saying he was a Dead Head.
He accepted the support of former members, and the money
raised from at least one performance I'm aware of.
I think Obama would feel a little out of place at a Dead show back
In the day, except maybe he'd hit a doobie and get into the groove.
Mit would be helping the cops getting people busted.
As a token gesture I think Obama mentioned he had Truckin on
his I pod. However that really doesn't matter to me. I would never
vote for someone because a musician backs them. Obama's a
politician, just like Romney. They'll take the money and support
from anyone, short of the KKK. I'm inclined to think
some of Romney's campaign funds are a little dirtier.

Romney could claim he's been listening to the Dead
for 30 years......30 years ago he heard 20 seconds
of Sugar Magnolia, then 10 years later he heard 15 secs
of Truckin, then last week a whole minute of Casey Jones
to help illustrate a point as to the drug problems in this country.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1497

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198414 1 year, 6 months ago
kevin wrote:
kevin wrote:
Why is Romney a better choice? I don't want to hear about everything Obama has not done, but rather what has Romney done to prove himself the better man for the job. Cutting medicare and social security has me very scared to vote for this 1%er, but perhaps someone can tell me why I'm wrong?


There are other reasons to vote Obama out, and make no mistake that is the primary reason why I'm voting Romney. Too many to type in here. One could write a book


Tdog, you replied to my question with "you are wrong" and then never answered my question. There are huge differences in the personal finances of obama and romney, that is a fact. What has romney proposed to do to help the middle class and/or create sustainable jobs for the middle class? That is what my vote is based on, not because Obama hasn't fixed the country in 4 years. You do understand the rich keep getting richer and the middle class is quickly being squeezed out right? Obama has not helped this by allowing illegals to overrun the country and push for welfare programs, but he also isnt the poster boy for the 1% which Romney certainly is. If you can explain why Romney will do more for ME than obama, I'm all ears.



When you get an answer to that question is when you might make
your final decision.

It's apparent to me Romney will benefit the 1% as that's who he is and identifies with.
Romney's plan is good ol ' trickle down economics.
tdog
Junior Boarder
Posts:215
Take a step back

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198416 1 year, 6 months ago
B-Rad wrote:


Since this is a pro-Romney thread I was wondering what exactly Romney's economic plan is and how it would help the nation Tdog?


Romney's economic plan is based around lowering the unemployment rate. He and Ryan have outlined a plan to reduce marginal tax rates for business and individuals along with eliminating many tax loopholes. The idea is that by doing so you get businesses to loosen their budgets, hire more, thus, reducing unemployment and raising tax revenues to the federal treasury. It's a fact that higher income earners take advantage of tax deductions and itemize at a higher rate on their tax returns so eliminating deductible items has the effect of richer people paying more in taxes as they do now. The last time this was done was during the mid-80's and the country enjoyed the biggest economic expansion in its history over the next 20 years !

One of the biggest drags on the economy is the high cost of health care. Romney/Ryan have laid out a plan to reduce cost of care and allowing open purchasing of healthcare insurance across state line, thus, reducing insurance premiums through competition. They have stated clearly on multiple occasions that this is only a plan for younger people as they are the group at risk of losing medicare benefits when it eventually goes bankrupt. Romney/Ryan have been the only side willing to be the adult in the room and admit that Medicare on its current trajectory has no hope of surviving. They want to save the safety net for younger generations that, the way things are going right now, will have none.

I think the glaring difference between the two candidates is that Romney/Ryan want to do things that have actually worked to help the economy in the past as opposed to Obama who wants to fundamentally transform the nation into a western European style "socialist" economy that has proven to be a failed idea over and over again. Romney has been a success in business, understands economics and most importantly will do what it takes to get us on a winning arc again.

I think most thinking people know that this economy is heading for another recession (1.2% growth last quarter). And, heading into a recession with 8%+ unemployment means we're heading to 12-14% unemployment in another recession. Obamanomics (stimulus spending (borrowed from China), bailouts, threats of higher tax rates on employers, government-run healthcare, perpetually low interest rates that penalize savers, perpetually higher education costs, perpetually higher government worker pension costs and on and on) have not worked and will never work.

It's time to try something that has proven to work. Not really sure how you can argue with this but I sure with someone on here would try and make an argument for 4 more years of Obama
Freedom is truth.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder
Posts:1111

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198418 1 year, 6 months ago
Keven, I don't see Obama as letting illegals run wild or pushing for welfare programs. Actually the number of deportations of illegals has increased as has the amount of money spend on boarder patrol (not that I agree with it completely). On the issue of welfare programs we really need to parcel out what percent of the increase is caused by the economic problems (that go back 30 years IMO) vs. the idea that Obama wants more people on welfare or has made it easier.

I agree 100% with your desire to seek the best candidate to improve the standing of the middle class. As ATG stated Romney is pushing the trickle down theory which we tried with Reagan and both Bush's. Obama is not a Keynsian but more Keynsian than trickle down in his approach (perhaps that is the reason his policies have not been more effective?), while Clinton was pretty much a Keynsian (raised taxes on the top income earners right off the bat and increased funding for education and infastructure) to great effect.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1497

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198419 1 year, 6 months ago
tdog wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
B-Rad wrote:
9.jpg



Can you imagine the look on Phil's face if there was a Romney sticker on his amp? He wouldn't be playing
St. Stephen > The Eleven, but instead some John Philips Sousa marches



That is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

Seeing a Romney sticker up there might actually be INTERESTING ! Instead, the Obama flag over and over is predictable and .... BOOOOOOOORRRRRRING !

When Jerry was around you would never have seen a political opinion or add attached to the band.

So, if Phil is for Obama then you have to be too ? Step out of your group think rut for once in your life ! Come on now, do you have a mind of your own ?


Whatever you might say about me, or my posts would be
as bothersome to me as a house fly.

I'd prefer to hear Grateful Dead music played over Sousa marches
or Stars and Stripes forever. If Phil/Bob loved Romney as much as
you we'd know what the opening song at each show would be....
the National Anthem!!!
kevin
Platinum Boarder
Posts:3101

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198423 1 year, 6 months ago
Romney's economic plan is based around lowering the unemployment rate. He and Ryan have outlined a plan to reduce marginal tax rates for business and individuals along with eliminating many tax loopholes. The idea is that by doing so you get businesses to loosen their budgets, hire more, thus, reducing unemployment and raising tax revenues to the federal treasury. It's a fact that higher income earners take advantage of tax deductions and itemize at a higher rate on their tax returns so eliminating deductible items has the effect of richer people paying more in taxes as they do now. The last time this was done was during the mid-80's and the country enjoyed the biggest economic expansion in its history over the next 20 years !

As someone who was downsized late last year, I am living proof that corporations have learned how to get the same work done with LESS employees. To presume that employers will automatically hire more people or loosen their budgets is very unrealistic in 2012. They will simply get their job done with less employees and pocket the profits they made by employing 80 people instead of 100. Trickle down economics is based on employers having a conscience and NOT looking at quarterly profits or cutthroat shareholders. That may have worked 20-30 years ago, but the world is a very different place today.
gone are the days we stopped to decide, where we should go we just ride
The following user(s) said Thank You: saylorsong
tdog
Junior Boarder
Posts:215
Take a step back

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198427 1 year, 6 months ago
kevin wrote:
kevin wrote:
Why is Romney a better choice? I don't want to hear about everything Obama has not done, but rather what has Romney done to prove himself the better man for the job. Cutting medicare and social security has me very scared to vote for this 1%er, but perhaps someone can tell me why I'm wrong?


There are other reasons to vote Obama out, and make no mistake that is the primary reason why I'm voting Romney. Too many to type in here. One could write a book


Tdog, you replied to my question with "you are wrong" and then never answered my question. There are huge differences in the personal finances of obama and romney, that is a fact. What has romney proposed to do to help the middle class and/or create sustainable jobs for the middle class? That is what my vote is based on, not because Obama hasn't fixed the country in 4 years. You do understand the rich keep getting richer and the middle class is quickly being squeezed out right? Obama has not helped this by allowing illegals to overrun the country and push for welfare programs, but he also isnt the poster boy for the 1% which Romney certainly is. If you can explain why Romney will do more for ME than obama, I'm all ears.


Very hard for me to get all the policy differences right in a space like this and without folks doing their own due dillegence.

I will just say that there are fundamental differences between the two candidates and the biggest one being that Romeny/Ryan believe in reduced dependence on government (ie. freedom) and that that is achieved through low unemployment and growing the economic pie so that everyone, of all economic levels, benefits and has a bigger slice. Whereas Obama believes in a fixed sized pie where redistribution of income is the way to economic "equality".

I would argue Obama is a socialist, although, I know that word excites some people. Nonetheless it's hard for me to see the difference between the definition of socialism and Obama's economic philosophy. Be that as it may, it hasn't worked and in many cases has led to social unrest, violence and death. Not for me.
Freedom is truth.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder
Posts:1111

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198430 1 year, 6 months ago
tdog wrote:
B-Rad wrote:


Since this is a pro-Romney thread I was wondering what exactly Romney's economic plan is and how it would help the nation Tdog?


Romney's economic plan is based around lowering the unemployment rate. He and Ryan have outlined a plan to reduce marginal tax rates for business and individuals along with eliminating many tax loopholes. The idea is that by doing so you get businesses to loosen their budgets, hire more, thus, reducing unemployment and raising tax revenues to the federal treasury. It's a fact that higher income earners take advantage of tax deductions and itemize at a higher rate on their tax returns so eliminating deductible items has the effect of richer people paying more in taxes as they do now. The last time this was done was during the mid-80's and the country enjoyed the biggest economic expansion in its history over the next 20 years !

Saying you will get the uneployment rate down is not an economic plan. Neither is trying to claim that you will lower everyones income tax rate by 20% but not explaining how that is going to happen or how we will pay for such a big drop. Corporations are sitting on more capital reserves today then ever in our history yet they are not hiring. It has nothing to do with how much money they have or how much they might be taxed (taxes in 2011 were the lowest rate in over 80 years). The reason our economy is suffering is because the middle class does not have the disposable income it used to. You also need to open a history book. The late 80s saw a massive recession and it wasn't until the mid 90s that we had an economic recovery.

One of the biggest drags on the economy is the high cost of health care. Romney/Ryan have laid out a plan to reduce cost of care and allowing open purchasing of healthcare insurance across state line, thus, reducing insurance premiums through competition. They have stated clearly on multiple occasions that this is only a plan for younger people as they are the group at risk of losing medicare benefits when it eventually goes bankrupt. Romney/Ryan have been the only side willing to be the adult in the room and admit that Medicare on its current trajectory has no hope of surviving. They want to save the safety net for younger generations that, the way things are going right now, will have none.

My state, Maine, did that two years ago and our insurance rates increased. There aren't other insurance companies in other states. The same big eight insurance companies dominate in the entire country. Medicare will not eventually go bankrupt. There is a shortterm problem with how we are going to get over the babyboomer demographic hump that will cause shortfalls in about 15-20 years. However, there are simple ways to make the program solvent for the next century without getting rid of it. What about the people who are in their late 40s or 50s and have been paying in for decades? The Romney plan is to steal their money!

I think the glaring difference between the two candidates is that Romney/Ryan want to do things that have actually worked to help the economy in the past as opposed to Obama who wants to fundamentally transform the nation into a western European style "socialist" economy that has proven to be a failed idea over and over again. Romney has been a success in business, understands economics and most importantly will do what it takes to get us on a winning arc again.

Again, open a history book. In the 50-60s the top income tax rate was 90%, we invested in infastructure and education, we expanded social saftey nets and we experianced the greatest economic expansion in US history. Also, in the 90s we raised the top rate, expanded social saftey nets and increased investment in education and infastructre and the economy expanded. THere is no evidence that shows trickle-down economics works. The Reagan years were a facade because he was vastly increasing debt spending and it was only for a few short years followed by a major recession.

I think most thinking people know that this economy is heading for another recession (1.2% growth last quarter). And, heading into a recession with 8%+ unemployment means we're heading to 12-14% unemployment in another recession. Obamanomics (stimulus spending (borrowed from China), bailouts, threats of higher tax rates on employers, government-run healthcare, perpetually low interest rates that penalize savers, perpetually higher education costs, perpetually higher government worker pension costs and on and on) have not worked and will never work.

Again with the BS. Higher education costs are Obama's fault!? He fought the GOP to keep interest rates low on student loans and the stimulus bill helped states fund education as their budgets shrunk. Ask any economist and they will tell you the stimulus prevented futher job losses. How is the ACA government run? It forces people to get PRIVATE health insurance (it was Bob Dole's plan, Mitt Romney's plan and pushed by the Kato Institute for years). Govt worker pension costs are Obama's fault. How so? Oh and bailouts started with Bush, actually they have been occuring for decades as Bain capital took a $20 million FICA bailout in the 90s.

It's time to try something that has proven to work. Not really sure how you can argue with this but I sure with someone on here would try and make an argument for 4 more years of Obama
tdog
Junior Boarder
Posts:215
Take a step back

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198435 1 year, 6 months ago
B-Rad wrote:
tdog wrote:
B-Rad wrote:


Since this is a pro-Romney thread I was wondering what exactly Romney's economic plan is and how it would help the nation Tdog?


Romney's economic plan is based around lowering the unemployment rate. He and Ryan have outlined a plan to reduce marginal tax rates for business and individuals along with eliminating many tax loopholes. The idea is that by doing so you get businesses to loosen their budgets, hire more, thus, reducing unemployment and raising tax revenues to the federal treasury. It's a fact that higher income earners take advantage of tax deductions and itemize at a higher rate on their tax returns so eliminating deductible items has the effect of richer people paying more in taxes as they do now. The last time this was done was during the mid-80's and the country enjoyed the biggest economic expansion in its history over the next 20 years !

Saying you will get the uneployment rate down is not an economic plan. Neither is trying to claim that you will lower everyones income tax rate by 20% but not explaining how that is going to happen or how we will pay for such a big drop. Corporations are sitting on more capital reserves today then ever in our history yet they are not hiring. It has nothing to do with how much money they have or how much they might be taxed (taxes in 2011 were the lowest rate in over 80 years). The reason our economy is suffering is because the middle class does not have the disposable income it used to. You also need to open a history book. The late 80s saw a massive recession and it wasn't until the mid 90s that we had an economic recovery.

One of the biggest drags on the economy is the high cost of health care. Romney/Ryan have laid out a plan to reduce cost of care and allowing open purchasing of healthcare insurance across state line, thus, reducing insurance premiums through competition. They have stated clearly on multiple occasions that this is only a plan for younger people as they are the group at risk of losing medicare benefits when it eventually goes bankrupt. Romney/Ryan have been the only side willing to be the adult in the room and admit that Medicare on its current trajectory has no hope of surviving. They want to save the safety net for younger generations that, the way things are going right now, will have none.

My state, Maine, did that two years ago and our insurance rates increased. There aren't other insurance companies in other states. The same big eight insurance companies dominate in the entire country. Medicare will not eventually go bankrupt. There is a shortterm problem with how we are going to get over the babyboomer demographic hump that will cause shortfalls in about 15-20 years. However, there are simple ways to make the program solvent for the next century without getting rid of it. What about the people who are in their late 40s or 50s and have been paying in for decades? The Romney plan is to steal their money!

I think the glaring difference between the two candidates is that Romney/Ryan want to do things that have actually worked to help the economy in the past as opposed to Obama who wants to fundamentally transform the nation into a western European style "socialist" economy that has proven to be a failed idea over and over again. Romney has been a success in business, understands economics and most importantly will do what it takes to get us on a winning arc again.

Again, open a history book. In the 50-60s the top income tax rate was 90%, we invested in infastructure and education, we expanded social saftey nets and we experianced the greatest economic expansion in US history. Also, in the 90s we raised the top rate, expanded social saftey nets and increased investment in education and infastructre and the economy expanded. THere is no evidence that shows trickle-down economics works. The Reagan years were a facade because he was vastly increasing debt spending and it was only for a few short years followed by a major recession.

I think most thinking people know that this economy is heading for another recession (1.2% growth last quarter). And, heading into a recession with 8%+ unemployment means we're heading to 12-14% unemployment in another recession. Obamanomics (stimulus spending (borrowed from China), bailouts, threats of higher tax rates on employers, government-run healthcare, perpetually low interest rates that penalize savers, perpetually higher education costs, perpetually higher government worker pension costs and on and on) have not worked and will never work.

Again with the BS. Higher education costs are Obama's fault!? He fought the GOP to keep interest rates low on student loans and the stimulus bill helped states fund education as their budgets shrunk. Ask any economist and they will tell you the stimulus prevented futher job losses. How is the ACA government run? It forces people to get PRIVATE health insurance (it was Bob Dole's plan, Mitt Romney's plan and pushed by the Kato Institute for years). Govt worker pension costs are Obama's fault. How so? Oh and bailouts started with Bush, actually they have been occuring for decades as Bain capital took a $20 million FICA bailout in the 90s.

It's time to try something that has proven to work. Not really sure how you can argue with this but I sure with someone on here would try and make an argument for 4 more years of Obama



Nobody's blaming Obama for causing all of our ills. I'm pointing out that he's a shitty president and it's my opinion that Romney's a much better pick for the next president given the choice.

As for cracking a history book, nice line but I'm as well read as anybody and far more than the vast majority of the voting public.

Good luck to you.
Freedom is truth.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by tdog.
tdog
Junior Boarder
Posts:215
Take a step back

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198437 1 year, 6 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
tdog wrote:
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
B-Rad wrote:
9.jpg



Can you imagine the look on Phil's face if there was a Romney sticker on his amp? He wouldn't be playing
St. Stephen > The Eleven, but instead some John Philips Sousa marches



That is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

Seeing a Romney sticker up there might actually be INTERESTING ! Instead, the Obama flag over and over is predictable and .... BOOOOOOOORRRRRRING !

When Jerry was around you would never have seen a political opinion or add attached to the band.

So, if Phil is for Obama then you have to be too ? Step out of your group think rut for once in your life ! Come on now, do you have a mind of your own ?


Whatever you might say about me, or my posts would be
as bothersome to me as a house fly.

I'd prefer to hear Grateful Dead music played over Sousa marches
or Stars and Stripes forever. If Phil/Bob loved Romney as much as
you we'd know what the opening song at each show would be....
the National Anthem!!!


Not personal. Just that your post was childish.

Good luck to you.
Freedom is truth.
tdog
Junior Boarder
Posts:215
Take a step back

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#198438 1 year, 6 months ago
B-Rad wrote:
Keven, I don't see Obama as letting illegals run wild or pushing for welfare programs. Actually the number of deportations of illegals has increased as has the amount of money spend on boarder patrol (not that I agree with it completely). On the issue of welfare programs we really need to parcel out what percent of the increase is caused by the economic problems (that go back 30 years IMO) vs. the idea that Obama wants more people on welfare or has made it easier.

I agree 100% with your desire to seek the best candidate to improve the standing of the middle class. As ATG stated Romney is pushing the trickle down theory which we tried with Reagan and both Bush's. Obama is not a Keynsian but more Keynsian than trickle down in his approach (perhaps that is the reason his policies have not been more effective?), while Clinton was pretty much a Keynsian (raised taxes on the top income earners right off the bat and increased funding for education and infastructure) to great effect.


Define "trickle down". I've never heard either Romney or Ryan or, for that matter, any republican candidate utter those words. I may be wrong and it may have been uttered just that I don't recall who says this except for democrats trying to paint the other side as elitist scum. I think it's a fictional phrase that has no meaning and it was created by the media as yet another distraction to the masses.

Are Romney and Ryan for making it easier for employers to hire more employees ? Yes. How do they do that ? By easing the cost to hire and employ ! Simple.

Define "Keynsian economics". It's my contention that you don't know what your talking about WRT to Keynsian economics and the Clinton presidency.

Milton Friedman explains the "conservative" economic philosophy. It's not "trickle down" whatever that means. It's common sense and based in freedom and liberty. I have never understood and will never buy into the counter argument to that. I highly recommend anything by Milton Friedman or Thomas Sowell to help you understand consvertavite economic though. It makes sense. At least more than anything else that's been tried in the history of mankind.




Freedom is truth.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by tdog.
Time to create page: 0.94 seconds