• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Phred
Senior Boarder

Re: Dead Heads for Romney 2012

#196387 2 years ago
NewHampshireJed wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:

But above all, anyone who votes for Mitt needs to look directly into the eyes of any women in their life and say "I don't care if you get violently raped and become pregnant. You're carrying that pregnancy to term and reliving the horror of the assault every day for 9 months". If that's how you feel about women and their rights, then by all means go ahead and vote for Mitt. And don't even try to tell me that it's not an important issue, because it most certainly is!! There is no more profound invasion of civil rights than trying to dictate what someone can or can't do with their own bodies.

Sue,

you seem like a great person from your online personality, but this is an ignorant and disgusting statement. Of course no one will be upset by this because it's against Republicans (who are ALL just SOOOOO evil, right everyone lol).

I doubt that Sue was throwing all Republicans into this statement...and before you go way off on me, I voted for Reagan. However, even Reagan couldn't get the nomination in today's Republican party. When you have scary people like Sharron Angle saying things like this: www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/08/sharro...ce-for_n_639294.html

or Todd Akin saying things like this:
www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/us/politics/r...nt-and-reaction.html

or Bob McDonnell writing stuff like this:
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/ar...AR2009090103269.html

Well, I could go on and on and include Paul Ryan's views, Rob Portman's, Christine O'Donnell....all the way up to Mitt Romney (although who knows what position he is taking on anything now) views. But the bottom line is that these are VERY scary ideas and YES, they do want to control what a woman can do with her body. They preach "small government" in all things except social issues...then it is "BIG GOVERNMENT" in a big, in-you-face (or vagina) way.

One only needs to look at those states that elected Republican majorities in all three branches in 2010 to see what the real agenda is....and it is not about jobs, jobs, jobs, it IS about abortion, abortion,abortion. And, the SCOTUS will overturn Roe v. Wade within the next year...and I will be willing to bet on that.

So, I can see why Sue said what she said. Your mileage may vary...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#196402 2 years ago
I don't think Obama is a great president but I'm voting for him because he's the lesser of two evils. Romney may be a great guy personally but I don't think that anyone with a quarter of a billion dollars has any idea what the average American is dealing with day to day. That video that came out where he basically dismisses half the electorate confirms it. Not evil, just out of touch.

I also have some real issues with the current state of the Republican party. I'm not some wild-eyed liberal. I don't think you can hit age 50 and not be something of a fiscal conservative. But the GOP is so extreme these days that Ronald Reagan would probably be seen as too moderate to get the nomination.

Times like these need considered action, not just reaction.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
WeCanRun
Junior Boarder

#196423 2 years ago
I am still undecided. if anyone can tell me why I should vote for Romney without mentioning Obama or the Democrats I will listen. I have not heard one good reason why Mitt should be president, only that Obama is bad. if we are going to look at the parties then the Republicans should be banned from power forever after what Cheney and his crew did to this county. Truthfully I have to vote my conscience for me to think it really counts, so I doubt I could ever vote for either of these two leading candidates. We need reform in this county and have since Kennedy took those bullets in Dallas.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#196426 2 years ago
Romney is the true candidate of change, he has changed his position on a number of issues to the point that I don't know what he believes in.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#196427 2 years ago
NewHampshireJed wrote:
SunshineSue wrote:

But above all, anyone who votes for Mitt needs to look directly into the eyes of any women in their life and say "I don't care if you get violently raped and become pregnant. You're carrying that pregnancy to term and reliving the horror of the assault every day for 9 months". If that's how you feel about women and their rights, then by all means go ahead and vote for Mitt. And don't even try to tell me that it's not an important issue, because it most certainly is!! There is no more profound invasion of civil rights than trying to dictate what someone can or can't do with their own bodies.

Sue,

you seem like a great person from your online personality, but this is an ignorant and disgusting statement. Of course no one will be upset by this because it's against Republicans (who are ALL just SOOOOO evil, right everyone lol).

NHJed, I can understand how you'd be disgusted by this, I am too, but I'm not sure why you think it's ignorant. Back in the 90's, there was a group of legislators called Republicans for Choice. But that kind of moderation doesn't exist in the party any more, at least not publicly. The Republican Party platform calls for a ban on all abortions, with no exceptions for rape or incest and even limitations cases where the mother's health is at risk. The platform, and Romney/Ryan, also support "Personhood" amendments to the US and State constitutions which declares that life begins at conception. The latter would effectively ban abortion, allow for doctors performing abortions to be charged with murder and would criminalize most forms of birth control, including the Pill and the IUD. Since 2010, the US House and State Republican-led legislatures have not been concentrating on economic bills, but rather have been putting forth bill after bill to limit reproductive rights. This includes a requirement for vaginal ultrasounds in Virginia and forced viewing of ultrasounds pre-procedure in Texas. The US House spent days of their limited time with the Republicans trying to push through a measure banning Federal funds for abortions when those regulations have been in place for decades. I respect your right to disagree, but there is indeed an ongoing war on women's rights and Rowe v. Wade that has been waged by conservatives for decades. They've gotten super-conservative judges in critical positions and have backed very stringent anti-choice bills in almost every state. It is a well-funded, well-coordinated and well-documented effort.

I'm guessing you weren't around pre-1974 to see what it was like for women back then. I was, and I don't want to go back to those days. Coat hanger abortions, epsom salt douches, sleazy "doctors" who would do a back-alley procedure that was often ineffective at anything but causing many deaths from sepsis. Unless of course you were rich, then you could get access to care for the right price, as is always the story. A woman's right to control her own reproductive health is not something I take lightly and I will fight with every ounce of strength I have to make sure conservatives don't infringe on those rights any more than they already have.
tdog
Junior Boarder
Take a step back

#196435 2 years ago
This election, unfortunately, is going to be a vote to stop the bleeding in this economy.

We all have to decide which guy can do a better job.

Simple. Really.
Freedom is truth.
tdog
Junior Boarder
Take a step back

#196443 2 years ago
I haven't heard Romney or Ryan mention reversing Row vs. Wade. Abortion may be counter to their beliefs as Christians but there is no plan to overturn the law in this respect.

One other thing on this topic though, what is sad is the number of abortions happening in the minority communities as if it were a form of birth control. It's a damn shame and the abuse must stop. I think we can all agree on that one. At least I hope so. Yes, it's always a woman's right to choose and always will be.

BTW, congress makes laws. Not the president.

If you want to see a war on women, a REAL war on women, look no further (or is it futhur?) than Iran. Now, the way they treat women (not to mention gay people) is disgusting. The phony war on women drummed up by the American, Obama-re-electing media is just that, phony !
Freedom is truth.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by tdog.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#196445 2 years ago
tdog wrote:
If you want to see a war on women, a REAL war on women, look no further (or is it futhur?) than Iran. Now, the way they treat women (not to mention gay people) is disgusting. The phony war on women drummed up by the American, Obama-re-electing media is just that, phony !

I agree on Iran and clearly from the facts I presented before have shown that your latter premise is false. But I'll leave it at that.

If you really want to go back and forth on issues like this, and to be honest I only have a limited stomach for it, I must once again plug my favorite blogger, DaveDubya: www.davedubya.com/
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#196448 2 years ago
tdog wrote:
I haven't heard Romney or Ryan mention reversing Row vs. Wade. Abortion may be counter to their beliefs as Christians but there is no plan to overturn the law in this respect.

One other thing on this topic though, what is sad is the number of abortions happening in the minority communities as if it were a form of birth control. It's a damn shame and the abuse must stop. I think we can all agree on that one. At least I hope so. Yes, it's always a woman's right to choose and always will be.

Oh you just have to love low information voters...look into man and you will see that both Ryan and Romney have plans to overturn R v Wade (or appoint Supreme Court justices to do so, not to mention Citizens United!!!) and also to limit women's access to contraception. Free Love!!!

Also where do you get your numbers on abortion rates within or outside minority communities? You are wrong. The most abortions occur in the rural white south!

Phony war on women?!! What about Lilly Ledbetter act? What about access to contraception (it is the religious right that wants the state to follow their chosen religious views like in Iran)? What about the abuse of women act? You sir don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I have no idea why people who know so little are so unafraid to voice their ignorance in public. (before you come back at me I have a PhD in Political Science and can back up all of the things I posted. Can you?).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phred, Passenger76
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#196449 2 years ago
tdog wrote:
This election, unfortunately, is going to be a vote to stop the bleeding in this economy.
I don't like to double post, but in case some folks do not read the 3rd party thread...

ZenoMarx wrote:
tdog wrote:
Dude, it's grown from 10 trillion in 2008 to 16 trillion (and growing) in the last 3.5 years ! What is that, 60% in 3.5 years ? More than in the first 220 years of the republic combined. Wow, just wow.
This is all smoke and mirrors. A few years ago, one of the main strategists for the Republican party (I'm terrible with names, but I can probably find the name if you'd like) quit his position because he was tired of all the empty rhetoric. Now, keep in mind that he didn't drop the party, just his job. He didn't quit and then go comment on MSNBC or CNN for the left. He's still a steadfast Republican.

He quit his position because if every single Republican tax cut was passed without alteration, it would equate to around two weeks of the total annual budget. His resignation came around the time before last when they were ready to shut down government because they couldn't get the budget passed. Keep in mind that the two-week equivalent scenario didn't take into account all the pork programs those same Republicans would also activate along with the tax cuts, so in reality, it would be less than two weeks of the total annual budget.

I don't know about you, but with all this big talk about tax cuts, I would assume it would be A LOT more than just two weeks of the annual budget. I would have thought it to be much more significant than just that. And that is exactly why this prominent strategist quit his position. It's just rhetoric. All these tax cuts they claim they would make are of little consequence in the overall scheme of things. They're party theory and not much in application. They're distraction devices and red herrings and not of any actual change.

"Republicans believe in cutting taxes." Not really. An empty slogan.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds