It's Hogwash, I tell you
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
The following user(s) said Thank You: CatDancer
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Mickey Hart in the news

#192443 1 year, 11 months ago
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ablebaker
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#192445 1 year, 11 months ago
My searchin forum skills aint very good
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#194592 1 year, 11 months ago
www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/mus...50cd65f97_story.html

By Associated Press, Updated: Saturday, September 22, 6:48 PM

NEW ORLEANS — Longtime Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart came to New Orleans with a message for thousands of attendees at the AARP’s national convention: Music has therapeutic powers.

Hart spoke about the importance of music and playing instruments. He led a drum circle with hundreds of drummers at the convention, which ended Saturday.

Hart and neurologist Adam Gazzaley a professor at the University of California at San Francisco, spoke about research showing music has a positive effect on the brain and how playing music can help offset the mental declines of aging.

Throughout the convention attendees could stop into a music-making pavilion.

Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#194599 1 year, 11 months ago
Good points, Gordon. I couldn't begin to count the times music has been a healing force in my life.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#194625 1 year, 11 months ago
Hell Yes! Mickey has a direct line to the sounds of the universe. When we saw him perform with MHB he left everybody's soul dancing happy for days.
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#201374 1 year, 10 months ago
RHYTHM CENTRAL: Mickey Hart and Dr. Adam Gazzaley Make History Through Visualizing and Sonifying Brain Activity in Real Time for Live Audience

www.heraldonline.com/2012/10/03/4310690/...mickey-hart-and.html

Dr. Gazzaley has extensively studied how the brain handles memory, attention and aging. Gazzaley awed the crowd midway through the session by strapping an EEG on Hart as he paced, clutching a drum, while images of the rhythms coursing through his brain were displayed on the giant screens throughout the hall. As the audience looked on, Gazzaley explained what was happening, adjusting to show more or fewer rhythms coursing through Mickey's brain. "This is scary," Mickey joked.

"It all comes down to vibration and the rhythm of things," Hart says of his collaboration with Dr. Gazzaley. "Can you imagine being able to entrain with these rhythms and focus on a certain part of the brain? To be able to see what part of the brain lights up while you play a certain instrument, a certain rhythm at a certain amplitude. What does the brain look like before, during, and after an auditory driving experience?" Hart continues, "This is about breaking the rhythm code, our genome project. Once we know what rhythm truly does, then we'll be able to control it, and use it medicinally for diagnostics, for health reasons. To be able to reconnect the synapses, the connections that are broken in Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, that's where we are heading." It's just the beginning, as far as Hart is concerned. "I've been working in my field for many years and so has Adam, it's a handshake between science and art. Life is all about rhythm, and the brain is Rhythm Central."
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#201424 1 year, 10 months ago
During a show at The Boston Music Hall many moons ago, someone from the audience asked Phil what the big green light on his equpment was for. Phil responded, "that's to tell me if my brain is working." I thought that he was kidding, but after reading this thread, I am not so sure.
CatDancer
Fresh Boarder
... many worlds i've come since i first left

#203156 1 year, 10 months ago
definitely hogwash . . .
CatDancer
Fresh Boarder
... many worlds i've come since i first left

#203169 1 year, 10 months ago
Really glad you shared that. The power of music is undeniable, but apparently explorable and hopefully definable as a healing tool. I really admire Mikey Harts' scholarship of his craft. From the primal to the sublime -- that's drummers for you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon the Drummer
Time to create page: 0.81 seconds