• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

How Does Your Garden Grow?

#18995 2 years, 11 months ago
Its finally warm enough here to plant most seed.

Today I planted Mission Bell California poppies, nasturtiums, Mammoth sunflowers, Casper pumpkins, Anasazi beans, and blue and red potatoes.

Tomorrow it will be Brandywine tomatoes, early long purple eggplant, baby greens, Ruby Swiss chard, and Moon and Stars watermelon.

What's growing in your garden, big or small?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, fourwnds
Chester
More or less in line

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

#19000 2 years, 11 months ago
I'll be digging out my strawberries soon. That's all I grow these days.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
freshwater dan
Junior Boarder

#19004 2 years, 11 months ago
Here is my balcony last summer.
IMG_5433.JPG
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#19006 2 years, 11 months ago
Trying pansies in a rock garden by our driveway. Looks like they're going to be successful. You never can tell here. An inch or two of topsoil and then it's all shale. The ground around here is so rocky that only a few homes actually have basements. My biggest challenge, again, is trying to make the front lawn look vaguely even. It gets hardly any direct sunlight and is slanted in such a way at the curb that the rain always washes away any new seeds. Tried that Scotts EZ Seed last year. It tended to clump when I watered it. Then the grass would grow in the clumps but when I tried to mow, the clumps would break apart and that was the end of the new grass. This year I'm using a spreader
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#19029 2 years, 11 months ago
Equinox, have you tried bring in good soil and tierring the slope? Or perhaps raised beds interspersed? Good luck with your pansies!

Dan I like the picture. What a nice patio garden...looks like tomatoes, peppers, and zinnias...are you doing it again this year?

Chester, any suggestions on how to increase straw berry yields?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#19036 2 years, 11 months ago
Actually I have thought about tierring the slope. It would be a pretty extensive job, however, as there's a lot of tree roots involved. Where I live is a nice little community that was built in the early 50s on the site of an orchard. Many of the trees have survived, there's at least half a dozen on the half acre that I own.

My neighbor pretty much did what you're suggesting but he had to remove several trees and do a massive relandscaping. I'm loath to touch any of my trees. They give this place such a natural feel. Besides they were here long before me. In a way I feel as if I'm their guest.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Confusions Prince
Junior Boarder
High on a Mountain

#19081 2 years, 11 months ago
Our average last frost date is near the end of May, so I don't have much in yet. Only potatoes and onions so far, but cabbage, carrots, and radishes will be going in soon. Tender plants like tomatoes, peppers, and others won't be put in until after Memorial Day.
If it rolls, sink it.
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#19097 2 years, 11 months ago
Little water, little sun and a whole lotta love. ;0)
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#19101 2 years, 11 months ago
Nupsdog, that's so cute!

Confusions Prince, keep us posted on your progress. Are you doing starts indoors first and then transplanting?

Nupsdog, are you going to ever post more of your art again? Have any garden or floral scenes?
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by PMoondancer .
Chester
More or less in line

#19102 2 years, 11 months ago
If strawberries have enough room, they will spread. They are perennial, and will return every year if managed well.
They respond well to a nitrogen rich fertilizer, and need regular water. They like direct sun, but will wilt in the heat.
And there's nothing better than having fresh strawberries. Great reward for a little effort.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds