• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

Best Box Set out ?

#1889 3 years, 6 months ago
Calling all Heads I need input. Whats the best Greatful Dead box set out. I have so many roads, but Im looking to treat myself and pick something up this weekend.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

Re: Best Box Set out ?

#1893 3 years, 6 months ago
order the Europe '72 Box coming out this fall
( If it's not sold out )
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#1905 3 years, 6 months ago
Besides Europe 72, I don't have that much to spend. I think it was listed a little over $400. The limited trunk is sold out but you can still buy all 60 CD's
Promontory Rider
Fresh Boarder

#1939 3 years, 6 months ago
I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them but I really liked the bonus tracks from The Golden Road and Beyond Description box sets not to mentioned the remastered studio releases.
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Promontory Rider .
Deadphishie55
Junior Boarder

#2095 3 years, 6 months ago
I really enjoy both Complete Winterland box sets 73 was the first one that came out then 77 run. The Grateful Dead Movie 5 disc set is sweet too
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#2115 3 years, 6 months ago
I agree with the Winterland 77 choice.
Oakland '79 Dicks Pick #5 is a personal favorite.
I'd recommend the Fillmore West 69 set and the Ladies & Gentlemen Fillmore East 1971 as the 2 sets ya really must have, though.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by sjfgreenman.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#262595 1 year, 3 months ago
Any thoughts on this one guys? I've got So Many Roads, Europe 72, Spring 90's and the Dicks Pick collection so far and probably have to go with Europe as my favorite unless DP can truly be counted as a box set
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
ratdog2112
Platinum Boarder
Men never remember, but Women never forget

#262637 1 year, 3 months ago
The one I enjoy is Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead-England '72. This is a 4 disc set.
"What I like best about music is when time goes away."
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by ratdog2112.
Staggerl
Junior Boarder

#262638 1 year, 3 months ago
Isn't the new Spring 77 box set coming out in 3 days? I use Spottify nowadays as my box set.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#262670 1 year, 3 months ago
I'm a big fan of early 70's GD, however the Fillmore West 1969 is as good as it gets. These four shows were recorded on 16 tracks with the results leading to Live / Dead. The band drastically cut back on the number of songs they usually play for these shows. It would be easy to complain about the lack of variety, though what was played was play so darn well with each version being unique. It is easy (at least for me) to say that Live / Dead is far and away the best live album (remember those) the band ever put out. On this 10 CD set, one gets this album times four with a whole lot of other stuff thrown in. With the exception of the 3/1 Hey Jude encore, there isn't a weak moment during the four night run. Plus, the Hey Jude is still kind of fun!
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds