• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Abba
Gold Boarder
Posts:1025
I missed Jerry!

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19128 3 years, 5 months ago
MsJimp wrote:
ontour wrote:
furthur.

YES to the Kimock guy though. He's better than JK, but he won't pay the direct homage to Jer the way JK will.




i did not know that direct homage was a requirement, if you ask me i would want a guitarist to get out there and do HIS or HER OWN thing they dont have to do Jerry's thing to create good music


JK does do his own thing.... Furthur is a reincarnation of the GD for all of us who MISSED Jerry. I really wish people would stop busting JK's balls.."He needs to start playing his own stuff and stop acting like Jerry"...John K is my Jerry and it is fine with me if the music he plays sounds a little like the good old GD. Nobody was busting balls when he was in DSO..why is that? Now JK is playing with Bob and Phil and everyone hates. Yes JERRY is gone....and it is ok to like another guitar player...I mean really...lets take this FURTHUR I'm watching Jerry's uncut Memorial service right now...Mickey Hart says " We've been working on this for over thirty years. The question is what are you going to do with it. Don't let this be for nothing"
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire, neverstop66
bokb
Senior Boarder
Posts:347
Be, okay? Be.

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19138 3 years, 5 months ago
[quote="Abba" post=19128][quote="MsJimp" post=19068]ontour wrote:
furthur.
I really wish people would stop busting JK's balls.."He needs to start playing his own stuff and stop acting like Jerry"...John K is my Jerry and it is fine with me if the music he plays sounds a little like the good old GD.


I agree brother.

And please, let's make this very, very clear about JK and the whole "he sounds like Jerry" crap:

Jerry hadn't sounded like Jerry for over a decade! Dig?

These Furthur shows are nothing like the GD shows I saw in the nineties, but they are exactly the way I wanted to remember them! (which is to imply "significantly better!")
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1570

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19144 3 years, 5 months ago
JK is not anyones "Jerry" and shouldnt be xpected to be. he is a good guitar player, better suited for the position than warren i think. i never liked DSO, but only saw them twice, years ago. i was totally bustin JK balls when i first saw them sign him on as the soloist(i wont say lead, cause bobby and phil lead the band, JK throws down the tasty solos)
I enjoy Ratdog more, but i saw them more, they played ALOT of shows, and yeah 96-97 ratdog wasnt the best, but by 01 they were the best post jerry thing goin i think.
Phils beef with Kimock is (completly second hand info, so take it with a grain of salt. Kimock played one show with phil, who had just had a liver transplant, oldest member of the dead anyway, and i think had jill and the kids with him back stage. Kimock was givin the obtion of abstaining from certain substances, i know not what, but it wasnt pot, and Kimock, rightly so in my opinion, was basically like im a grown man, and i can put in my body what i like as long as i perform well. not the case. he bailed after one show, and they replaced him with dereck trucks, not too shabby. who knows if any of this is true, but thats what a lil bird told me.
Abba
Gold Boarder
Posts:1025
I missed Jerry!

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19187 3 years, 5 months ago
[quote="bokb" post=19138][quote="Abba" post=19128]MsJimp wrote:
ontour wrote:
furthur.
I really wish people would stop busting JK's balls.."He needs to start playing his own stuff and stop acting like Jerry"...John K is my Jerry and it is fine with me if the music he plays sounds a little like the good old GD.


I agree brother.

And please, let's make this very, very clear about JK and the whole "he sounds like Jerry" crap:

Jerry hadn't sounded like Jerry for over a decade! Dig?

These Furthur shows are nothing like the GD shows I saw in the nineties, but they are exactly the way I wanted to remember them! (which is to imply "significantly better!")


Thumbs up to you my brother!!!! What attracted me to the GD was the sound from the eariler years and the vibe that followed. I see that in Furthur and it works for me. Believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Posts:274
Listen To The Flower People

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19207 3 years, 5 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
JK is not anyones "Jerry" and shouldnt be xpected to be. he is a good guitar player, better suited for the position than warren i think. i never liked DSO, but only saw them twice, years ago. i was totally bustin JK balls when i first saw them sign him on as the soloist(i wont say lead, cause bobby and phil lead the band, JK throws down the tasty solos)


How about melodic guitarist?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in the Grateful Dead or incarnation post Jerry perform a "solo" ... in the true sense of the word - other than maybe as an intro. I suppose if Mickey or Billy got up and left while the other was playing, that'd be a solo. Same goes for space too. Maybe a vocal part here or there, but there's almost always more than one musician doing their thing.
milesgone
Junior Boarder
Posts:159
All the milesgone behind me to see shows

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19402 3 years, 5 months ago
I hear lots of originality with JK.. what is not to like???
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder
Posts:236

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19450 3 years, 5 months ago
Are you kidding? Ratdog, where every song is played at reduced or even half speed tempo's and pointless extended space between every verse. For this long time DH, RD is a snooze fest compared to Furthur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OtherOne, Abba
Ace#11
Junior Boarder
Posts:92

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19459 3 years, 5 months ago
I love RATDOG!! I Love FURTHUR, and I Think Ratdog could be playin in between these long breaks , Bobby is always guest showin up at gigs in between Furthur and he should just play a couple shows with Ratdog instead!!!! Mark Karan shreds it ! and they are such a trippy band that takes the tunes way out and I love them !!! Missin Robin and Kenny too ! (((BEACON 09))) Thank you Ratdog!
OtherOne
Junior Boarder
Posts:232

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19483 3 years, 5 months ago
Ratdog bored me to tears, Furthur is just miles and miles ahead. In fact one of my biggest gripes with Furthur is they slow down the tempo Ratdog style on too many of the tunes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Slewfoot
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder
Posts:236

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19503 3 years, 5 months ago
OtherOne wrote:
Ratdog bored me to tears, Furthur is just miles and miles ahead. In fact one of my biggest gripes with Furthur is they slow down the tempo Ratdog style on too many of the tunes.


Agreed. There's one member we can thank for the sllloooowwww - ness
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder
Posts:8141

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19526 3 years, 5 months ago
Ratdog could definitly jam out some good stuff, but they did have a much more laid back style - which I like, but I definitly do like Furthur better. Ratdog is definitly still a great band though and I hope they do more shows in the future, I like the touch Kenny gives with the sax and there whole style alltogether. You got some acoustic songs with Ratdog to which was always nice, I hope Furthur breaks out some acoustic in the future, even if not on a basis every show, just randomly mixed in every once in a while would be cool.

listening to some Ratdog right now 3/29/05 ... Bobby Mcgee....
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Posts:274
Listen To The Flower People

Re: I WANT RATDOG BACK

#19606 3 years, 5 months ago
double posted below
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by FaceOnMars.
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds