• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
bigjonnyt
Fresh Boarder

Re: Better musicians- PHISH OR GRATEFUL DEAD?

#19807 3 years, 4 months ago
yep, look i trolled you didnt i......
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#19808 3 years, 4 months ago
i could care less,enjoy your little game,later
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#20188 3 years, 4 months ago
Thats like comparing iono a platypus with a ....iono, giraffe..?lol What im gettin at is there both great but different animals.lol
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#20199 3 years, 4 months ago
Stupid Question really, as it is Apples and Oranges. They are all excellent musicians.

Since I was asked:

I think Page would be the only member of Phish that would have a shot of talking home the Blue Ribbon in any category. I am a Brent guy, and love Keith too. Brent and Page are a push. In a quartet and an original member, Page had a much larger role than Brent did for a very long time.

Garcia could play many more styles than Trey on an elite level.

Phil>Gordo

Drummers no contest, and I would take Russo over JF.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Cornjulio.
TylerTerrapinCurtis
Junior Boarder
Tyler Curtis

#20220 3 years, 4 months ago
Much like others, I will say, Apples and Oranges.
Phish is influenced by the Grateful Dead, but if you put on Terrapin Station (GD) and then Fluffhead (Phish), you will most likely agree with the following:
The Grateful Dead are a rock-country-blues band in the setting of improv.
Phish is an orchestral-rock-jamband that has music that is very fast, very funky, very rocking, very loud, very soft, very VARYING.

The Grateful Dead were not trying to play as fast as they could, they were not trying to shred on their instruments as hard as they could as much as Phish does. They grooved.
Phish, puts on an electrifying face melting show, where there is a lot of shredding, jazz-improv, and funkyness.

The Grateful Dead were the ONLY ones who did what they did.
Phish were (and pretty much still are) the only ones who do what they do, (in the sense of their style.)

If you've never seen a Phish show, well, you're missing out.
I never saw the Dead, and damn well am I missing out. But I saw the Dead (09) and continue to see Furthur which is a hell of a time.

I don't think that the Grateful Dead could do what Phish does, and I don't think that Phish could play what the Grateful Dead does with the soul and style the GD did.

Both bands are stellar.
Buy the ticket, take the ride..."
ShakedownBlog.com
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#20228 3 years, 4 months ago
some deadheads like to talk shit about phishheads, and some phishheads like to talk shit about deadheads. i used to go to phish shows after jerry died just to sell shit and make money for ratdog tour or whatever else i could make an xcuse to spend money on at the time. so i have always prefered the dead. hell i prefer mickey solo on a talking drum for 2 hours. but looking back, now a decade or more later and i remeber the music i heard coming out of the ampitheater, be it "down with disease" or them coving weens "roses are free" or "back on the train" and they now have a play in my heart out of being sentimental. ii only go to shows now that i like the band, or havent seen them yet, wont go to just make money in the lot when the band/festie lineup sucks. that being said, i am tempted to down to s.f. to see them at outsidelands just for old times sake. probabaly wont though, i would if it were free.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds