• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Key West and The Dead

#17866 2 years, 11 months ago
just got back from a weeklong vacation in the Keys. The Dead vibe is alive down there. Got a bluegrass band to play Friend of the Devil at Sloppy Joes and they rocked the place. A musician at Captain Tony's played Scarlet Begonias for me and another at Willie T's played Deal which segued into I know you Rider. Definitely a cool vacation for me.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

Re: Key West and The Dead

#17871 2 years, 11 months ago
glad you had a good vacation !
florida is nice in the spring before it gets too hot.
going back to work sucks though !
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#17872 2 years, 11 months ago
Yes it does. I'm at work right now. Had to start midnights right off the back. You can tell I'm staying busy though, huh?
godblessthefreaks
Fresh Boarder
Shine On

#17879 2 years, 11 months ago
i agree.a very mellow chill place. i moved down there for 2 yrs in the early 90s.fell in love with it. at the time there was a dead head bar called "barefoot bobs" i think its gone now.couldnt find it when i was there in feb.
while i was living there,the dead closed out spring tour with 3 nights in miami.what a blast. we stayed at a local howard johnsons that had a pool on the roof. after the shows phil and family went to the keys and stayed at a resort called hawks cay. a friend of mine waited on them in the restaurant.the whole time biting her tongue not wanting to invade the leshs personal time or space. phil recognized her anticipation and thanked her and autographed a napkin for her.
JOE DANGLE
Junior Boarder

#17881 2 years, 11 months ago
Gettin to the point..........Key West
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#18051 2 years, 11 months ago
godblessthefreaks wrote:
i agree.a very mellow chill place. i moved down there for 2 yrs in the early 90s.fell in love with it. at the time there was a dead head bar called "barefoot bobs" i think its gone now.couldnt find it when i was there in feb.
while i was living there,the dead closed out spring tour with 3 nights in miami.what a blast. we stayed at a local howard johnsons that had a pool on the roof. after the shows phil and family went to the keys and stayed at a resort called hawks cay. a friend of mine waited on them in the restaurant.the whole time biting her tongue not wanting to invade the leshs personal time or space. phil recognized her anticipation and thanked her and autographed a napkin for her.

cool story, yeah barefoot bobs is gone, or surely I would have stumbled into it by now. Looks like a future home for me. If only I could get past the big bucks for land down there.
Charlie Sheen
Junior Boarder

#18054 2 years, 11 months ago
t's where we'd like to retire but that's wishful thinkin', so we'll settle for central west coast fla, but heck yeah if the boyz could play down their just one time that'd be suave'.
Charlie Sheen
Junior Boarder

#18055 2 years, 11 months ago
...and if they could do it say Jan.....5th or so....that be perfect.
godblessthefreaks
Fresh Boarder
Shine On

#18059 2 years, 11 months ago
my latest local keys find was a place called the boatel in key largo. we rented a 2 br houseboat for 590$(including taxes and fees) for 5 nights. its a houseboat.you cant drive it around because its fixed up with plumbing and elec.but its floating,tied to a dock.on the edge of the john pennekamp coral reef national park.includes use of kayaks for exploring the shore and mangroves......no shirt,no shoes,no problem!
godblessthefreaks
Fresh Boarder
Shine On

#18060 2 years, 11 months ago
just found this about barefoot bobs

The Real Key West

There are two Key Wests. They occupy the same island but are worlds apart. The sham Key West is a show for tourists; the Real Key West belongs to those of us who live here. Come with us now ... to the Real Key West.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Barefoot Bob
Barefoot Bob is dead. Robert Salamone, originally from Chelmsford, MA, a hop, skip and jump away from Tyngsboro, MA where I spent my high school years, passed on on June 22 in Key West. Robert -- Bob -- operated the bar known as Barefoot Bob's during the 1990s. If I have it right, the club was first at the Duval St. location of today's Willy T's. And I remember going just once to Barefoot Bob's on Telegraph Lane. It was a Deadhead hangout then, a dark place with black and strobe lights, walls painted in psychedelic scenes and colors, and a booming sound system playing stoner tunes.
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds