• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Wundurland
Expert Boarder

Re: What are you reading?

#129904 2 years, 7 months ago
Equinox wrote:
iamthedoor wrote:
I'm rereading 1984 as I just finished Brave New World recently and the correlation between the two and between todays society's are frightening to say the least

Totally agree with that.

Ditto
...was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, considering lying down in it.

-JD Salinger
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#129912 2 years, 7 months ago
Wundurland wrote:
Equinox wrote:
iamthedoor wrote:
I'm rereading 1984 as I just finished Brave New World recently and the correlation between the two and between todays society's are frightening to say the least

Totally agree with that.

Ditto

She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
mok
Junior Boarder

#129917 2 years, 7 months ago
Finishing Midnight's Children. If you have not checked out Rushdie, I strongly recommend him. He creates an amazing mix of modern day life and dream/fantasy.
Cosmic Arkie
Junior Boarder

#129931 2 years, 7 months ago
I am rereading Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead by Dennis McNally. I recently finished Tangled Up In Tunes Ballad of a Dylanhead by Howard Weiner and
Growing Up Dead: The Hallucinated Confessions of a Teenage Deadhead by Peter H. Conners. Long Strange Trip could be used as a college textbook for Grateful Dead 101. McNally does an outstanding job of chronicling the whole Dead story. Places, names, shows, dates, easy to read and very complete. Tangled Up In Tunes is a good book about touring with the Grateful Dead and Dylan. Of course, The Hallucinated Confessions book is a travel guide to Dead shows all over the country in the 80s and 90s. Grate book as well. They are all on my Dead shelf right next to Searching for the Sound, Living With The Dead, Garcia, An American Life, The Relix book and David Gans Conversations with the Dead. There is a book in the library about Jerry. It's a large book with many good pics. Someone did a very neat job of cutting 4 pics of Jerry out of the book. (I checked the page numbers when something didn't seem right). When I told the librarian he said, ah, someone wanted pictures of Jerry. I said that's exactly it. I like pics of Jerry but I won't be cutting up library books...how else are the Deadhead kids that are coming up supposed to learn?

Anyway, as always...Play Dead...or read Dead...too, I suppose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , ecojaded, 23atwell
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#129940 2 years, 7 months ago
it was used a textbook...for a history class on social change centered around the dead through the years....the course was taught at UMASS Amherst a few years ago in conjunction with the Grateful Dead Symposium and one of, if not, the first American Beauty project with Larry Campbell and others. I took this course and got an A! Oh yeah and the professors name was Robert Weir, no joke before I knew who it was and it was in between tours I almost pooped myself when I saw that name attached to the course!

though it is over if you would like to read about what went on here are the old links:
www.umassconnections.com/unbrokenchain/index.html
www.umass.edu/umhome/events/articles/63983.php
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Dire Wolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cosmic Arkie
mok
Junior Boarder

#130136 2 years, 7 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
Wundurland wrote:
Equinox wrote:
iamthedoor wrote:

Totally agree with that.

Ditto

I think a lot of the power in Orwell's writing is that he captures the brutish will to dominate that exists in all generations. I.e. this book rang eerily true in the 80's and I know people who read it in the 60's and 70's felt the same. I think it will continue to speak to future generations, and that is what is so amazing about it. We will always have something to learn from it as long as we are human, in my opinion.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#135903 2 years, 7 months ago
I just got done with Bill Graham Presents: my life inside rock and roll.

What a great book. I just love what he did for rock and roll. The books goes through alot of band that I'm sure your all into and how they were off stage. Bill went through some shit in life and always stayed connected som how and did it good. It's long book and I kept interested the whole way through. He was great.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#135911 2 years, 7 months ago
my small town local library just got Phil's book, Seaching For The Sound, in. Just started it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wundurland
Wundurland
Expert Boarder

#144537 2 years, 6 months ago
The Girl Who Played with Fire (2nd book in Dragon Tattoo series)---stellar plot structure, but lousy character development and too heavy on multiple perspectives of characters
...was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, considering lying down in it.

-JD Salinger
Poles
Expert Boarder

#144560 2 years, 6 months ago
Eisenhower: In War and Peace
Thus far I have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Don't ya touch hard liquor
Just a cup of cold coffee
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Poles.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds