• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

Re: Top 5 Shows from the Spring '11 Tour

#17542 2 years, 11 months ago
Fox theater- atlanta
Mizner park - Boca raton

Both of these had beautiful setlists and rocked out. Cd's that you put in and never skip through. Great from first song to last.
you should listen to some shows on the archive and decide what you like. Mizner was last show of tour and they went out with a bang. Did I mention Clarence Clemons on rooster and lovelight? I always like me a little saxophone wailing out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#17548 2 years, 11 months ago
i went to 9.....wallingford, all the BestBuy and all the RCMH shows. for my 5 I would pick.....

all 3 RCMH - 3/25, 3/26 and 3/27 ...(3/27 being my favorite of all 9)
3/12
3/15 - Phils B-Day show

The reason I picked all 3 RCMH shows is partly because Bobbys voice was real low in the mix before that, and they fixed it by the RCMH shows (thank god!). Like everybody else says - there wasn't a bad show in the tour (not a bad show period IMHO) but every show on this spring tour was special.

I hope they really did fix Bobbys mic for good and that it wasn't just the RCMH shows, how was it after these shows?
I'm doing the first 5 shows after All Good for summer so hopefully its not an issue again, but that was serious.....i was talking to a bunch of people at the shows saying "are the sound guys def" and what not........its actually worse on CD then it was at the shows for the ones that it was a problem for.

If I was going to buy a show I didn't see it would be the one with the Masterpiece/Revolution encore....that sounded like a sweet show!
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#17550 2 years, 11 months ago
"Masterpiece Revolution" was Charleston. Also a great show. I listen to it often on my long ass drive to work. A killer jack straw. Also playin, dire wolf, Alabama getaway, Cumberland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan, ecojaded
Chadwell
Junior Boarder

#17559 2 years, 11 months ago
One of the underrated ones that doesn't seem to get a lot of talk beyond the most mentioned (RCMH, Atlanta, Fairfax, Phil's BDay) is Orlando. My God, some absolutely BEAUTIFUL improv and fantastic flow throughout. It's also features a rather original and different setlist. One of those times when they took a risk, tried something new, and it worked out great. Really nice show to listen to.

Another one I really enjoyed was the tour opener, 3/04/11 in Boston. Nice first set followed by a monster of a second set. Pretty sure there were several times I was listening to the show and had to remind myself I wasn't listening to a very good SBD from 77.
robertjfeldman
Junior Boarder
Criminal Defense Attorney

#17672 2 years, 11 months ago
LOVED Phil's bday and Mixner

but fave was the one with Warren Haynes at best buy

the Blue Sky is such FEEL GOOD music

never tire of listening to the CD

why do the CDs sound better in the car?

on another note the Sittin on Top of the World on this homepage now ROCKS!!! Chimenti and Kadlecik melt one's face here

who agrees?
come and join the party every day!
Charlie Sheen
Junior Boarder

#17691 2 years, 11 months ago
haven't listened to them all but if you like dripping Magic Orlando is where it was......Boca was a fun icing on the cake, huggy bear kind of a show but check out the Disney Trip.
WorkingmansEd
Junior Boarder

#17809 2 years, 11 months ago
1 Phil's Birthday (hands down, we ate cupcakes)
2 Saturday Tower
3 Sunday RCMH
4 Friday Tower
5 The Owsley Show
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#17810 2 years, 11 months ago
go to grateful dead listening guide he explains how to download archives in plain language and has a link to some useful free software plus its an awesome GD site i highly recomendit to all here
i have to relation to the owner of the site just love it www.deadlistening.com/
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#17909 2 years, 11 months ago
Been relistening to the entire tour... Phil's Bday show certainyl kicked butt. The RCMH shows were INSANE! Still havent gotten to the later FL shows yet, but from wha tI hear, they're are just smoking! But I dun see anyone mention the Pgh show! I guess since it was the one I saw, I have a bias, but I still say it fucking smoked from beginning to end! Second set opening of Estimated > Eyes was just insane!!!! And the other one was off the _HOOOOOOOOK_!

Guess tahts why we say there wasnt a bad show in the bunch cause pciking a top five is freaking hard.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#17921 2 years, 11 months ago
Fiirst off let me say I caught 4 Towers all but Tuesday & Hampton. 4 Towers good to excellent... Hampton a whole nother level. Any top 5 list without Hampton can be disregarded...by FAR the best I have ever heard/seen further andI've been going to shows since 81. My top 5:
First tier
1. HAMPTON 4/1
1A. Phils Birthday 3/15
These 2 head & shoulders above the rest IMHO

3. Atlanta
4. Tower Sunday (Friday & Saturday were great many pick Saturday but for me personally the song selection was right up my alley & the second set St Stephen....(which I have grown sick of seeing ..LOL who woulda ever thought I would type that!) was ON the 4 song sequence ( Stephen>Born x Eyed>Watchtower>Sittin on Topof the World) was an auditory ASSAULT--- I had to actually sit down to catch my breath-- also any show the ends with my fave & a smokin Sugar Mag is loved)
5. Saturday RCMH Owsley show

So by going by actually listening and not show attendance ..(I only got 2 of the 5 I caught in the top 5 ) I think this list is pretty accurate. I will admit I MAY have put Phils Bday 1 and Hampton 2 if I had been there... b but I LOVE when the band comes out firing in the first set balls to the wall and in Hampton they came out guns blazing.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Walk in the Sunshine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Jones, ecojaded
gratefulpanda
Junior Boarder

#18259 2 years, 11 months ago
My first show of my mini run was NYE(pretty awesome, magical, and chill) and guess that doesn't count since it was technically still winter. So here are my 5 from spring.

1. Fox Theater, Atlanta(4/3/11)- Maybe cus I was lucky enough to be front row and see the whole show from a much different perspective. But the show itself was great, awesome energy all night. My highlights being a lively opening Hell in a Bucket, a heartfelt TLMD, and a Jerry-band-ish feeling Deal. Second set was all about DS>Time>Breathe reprise, then Dear Prudence. Was on another planet!!

2. Best Buy Theater, N.Y.(3/13/11)- Band had good energy mostly all night. Of course started with a somber moment with Phil talking about Bear. Rest of the night, great chemistry between the guys. And Warren for 2nd set was just amazing. Phil riffing with Warren and Bobby. John doing some "Jerry" kicks and arm swings. And of course Bobby doing his best Pig Pen during Caution. Wow.

3. RCMH, N.Y.(3/26/11)- Very cool classic, early Dead feeling 1st set. A nod to Pig Pen. Then the 2nd set with Floyd's Eclipse, from Dark Star? Unreal. The vid behind them with Jerry and Bear, brings me to tears every time. This show was an emotional one for me.

4. Best Buy Theater, N.Y.(3/11/11)- Love the opening with Greatest. Good start with a fast pace. And 2nd set seemed to roll and groove into a cohesive unit till the end of the night.

5. Orpheum, Boston(3/6/11) Really great energy and quick start. Nice because I felt the night before was a bit slow paced with more stop and starts. Fun Maxwell's that was spot on. And a Viola Lee that meandered through the 1st set. Awesome. It just kept coming back!! 2nd set highlights were St. Stephen>Time>Eleven, which the place seemed ready to blow at that point! And ended nicely with a long Sugaree, and GDTRFB.
hyjacker
Junior Boarder

#18296 2 years, 11 months ago
Last night of Tower for sheer musicianship, great sound and high energy, Last night of RCMH for guests and a really long show, Second to last RCMH for a killer second set. Best buy Phils Birthday Abbey RD. Very well done and a great idea by Jill.
Hampton simply because it was Hampton and the vibe was every bit as god as when Jerry was with the band. Charleston for pure crowd energy and a great show./ The crowd was a perfect mix of older Heads and college of Charleston people. Good lot scene on a tour that didnt have many lots. NYC Philly ETC. The weather was perfect and the people were just positive. Also didn't see nitrous mafia thank god. They just ruin the scene/
Time to create page: 1.40 seconds