• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: 10th Annual Ishi Gathering and Seminar

#47619 3 years, 1 month ago
Well, izancarlos, I hear ya about the drug scene. Many of the most brilliant, engaging, funny and simply wonderful people I've known -- in the Dead world and otherwise -- are now casualties. Personally, I don't think the Furthur scene is the second coming of the original Deadheads. The people that first gathered around the Grateful Dead were coming out of the same cultural movement as the band and that essentially was a reaction to 50s style conformity, Viet Nam, etc., etc.

I was introduced to that scene in '74 and I would agree that as time went on things became more corrupt and chaotic. I actually took a hiatus from '79 to '85 because of what I was seeing. That's a move that might well have saved my own life. The point is, there's always been a "bad drug" component to the scene and imo it was actually worse in the 70s. When I came back I was far more interested in the music in and of itself than the surrounding circus, though I admired the power of that music to keep some semblance of the hippie dream alive through the cold and corporate 80s and 90s.

I still love that music, which is why I've avidly followed all the spin-offs since Jerry's passing. In Furthur, in particular, I find a good-sized chunk of the Dead's sense of adventure and emotional depth which is why I've come to love them. As for the scene, I don't think it could possibly be a continuation of what surrounded the GD. Time has passed. Too many crucial pieces -- people, traditions, attitudes -- have either scattered or died since 1995. There's a taste, though. And there's always a possibility that some kid who comes to a Furthur show to relive the 60s or just party might actually have his mind opened by some sparkling jam. And IMO anything that inspires people to think on their own is a good thing. Particularly in these times.

As for this site, to me it seems like a place where people mostly do think on their own. Yeah, there's some celebration of drugs but compared to the destruction I've seen in my hometown of Philadelphia, it seems pretty mild. I think the folks who do most of the posting here are like me -- they just want a space where they can be themselves and be appreciated for it.

I hope you'll stick around and get to know some of us.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Equinox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , DeadHead420, SunshineSue
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#47807 3 years, 1 month ago
izancarlos wrote:
neverstop66 wrote:
There's no chill in this asshole. He's here just to hate. It will keep going until he gets banned. I heard he is from the tribe navashithead. By the way, my great grandmother was a full blood Cherokee, making my grampa 50% Cherokee who married a 50% Seneca indian (I believe) who had my dad. What does that make me? I got ath hairless chest but plenty on top and the diabetes that many natives have. So fuck you izancarlos.
thanks 4 complimlet me the Navajo nation,their enrollment is well over 200,000 have fun dealing with those crazy bros and sisters,,,mssg being forwarded to prez of navajo nation in window rock,,Joe Shirley...good luck ....gosh I wud hate to get them dam dinehs pissed off @ me..

Your a legend in your own mind. Your a disgrace to your own kind. And your lame threats don't scare me. Im not a peace and love kinda guy. Just more of your racist stereotyping. Im sure if your "leaders" saw the racist hate you puke out all over the place they would distance themselves as far away from you as they could. Why dont you hop on one of those space ships of yours and get the fuck out. Id love to carry on this conversation in person.
izancarlos
Visitor

#47845 3 years, 1 month ago
Me 2 neverstop66..that wud b interesting,I live in New Mexico,maybe @ red rocks..?I only have one condition...u must be sober,no.drink or dope smoking,.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#47850 3 years, 1 month ago
izancarlos wrote:
Me 2 neverstop66..that wud b interesting,I live in New Mexico,maybe @ red rocks..?I only have one condition...u must be sober,no.drink or dope smoking,.

I don't smoke dope. I don't smoke anything for that matter. Last inhalation of any smoke was when I was 23. As far as alcohol, I will go months without a drink. I will have a drink at a special dinner. I will drink at shows. You know that most people smoke marijuana legally in Colorado? And California. Some on this forum have a legal prescription. I believe it should be legalized. Your posts sadden me with your racism. Also with your spouting off about furthur shows turning into an evil drug scene like the end of the GD days. You haven't even been to a show so how would you know anything? You read that someone overdosed last year at red rocks? People overdose everywhere all the time and its not the furthur scenes fault. Its very mellow now a days. Now about this back to Europe deal. Im sure you know (because your such a historian) that natives came to America over a land bridge through Alaska many moons ago. So under that theory, I want you to go back to your native land of Asia lmfao. I've got more for ya, but I'm thinking I'll save it for now. I propose you go join the philzone. I heard there's a lot of white drug users over there lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#47851 3 years, 1 month ago
izancarlos wrote:

Can't do Red Rocks this year. I have other commitments unfortunately. Im an east coaster. Last year was magnificent. I would be be found in the very top lot if I did go. You will be very disappointed once you arrive to find out its mostly nothing more than a picnic with some beer in the parking lot and a community of furthur music lovers inside. Beer is not evil either. It only is if you abuse it and let it ruin you. Carry out your silly demented plans and hopefully you will run into the wrong people to fuck with. Something tells me you wont say boo without your keyboard to hide behind though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds