• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

10th Annual Ishi Gathering and Seminar

#17238 3 years, 6 months ago
The men in the slaughterhouse sweated, busy with the work of killing in the humidity of a hot August day, unaware of the event that was about to put them on the map of history. In 1911, the slaughterhouse stood at the edge of Oroville, California... a town made rich by the fertile and gold laden soil that flowed into confluence from the Feather rivers from the ridges that lead downward from Mt Lassen.

In those same headwaters Ishi had watched 40 dead tribes people float in the swift current of Mill Creek. He now walked near where he had once floated with his murdered people, escaping death by pretending to be dead himself. Now he was determined to walk among those that had exterminated his people. To walk among them, to forgive and teach them. There was now no one else left to shield from the genocidal and legally sanctioned murder of the Yahi. 6 years after the massacre near the creek, the small band of Yahi survivors, mostly women and young children hidden in a Mt.Lassen cave, were discovered by a Norman Kingsley who entered the camp and slaughtered 30 innocents. Ishi had escaped this attack with a handful of family. Then soon, only Ishi remained...the last witness...

..soon the waters lead him down the ridge to the town of Oroville. The wooden slaughterhouse was the closest building. As the butcher looked up from his work, he stopped his killing, stupefied by the appearance of Ishi with his confident and
peaceful presence. Later, townsfolk were to marvel that Ishi had not been shot on the spot. To the workers that day, it was marvel that they understood...their time for killing men was over.

10th Annual Ishi Gathering and Seminar

April 29-30 20011 in Oroville, California

530-533-0418

www.buttecountyhistoricalsociety.org
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

Re: 10th Annual Ishi Gathering and Seminar

#17245 3 years, 6 months ago
Here in Coshocton they have an annual Delaware Natives Gathering , there aren't enough left to have a reservation but some still have land in the area and are trying to get their traditional lands back
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#17249 3 years, 6 months ago
I hope the tribe gets what they are asking for.

Ishi lived the remainder of his life in care of UC Berkley anthropologists.

There is now an effort to teach the skills that Ishi shared with them.

Ishi's story really touches me, and I thought that I would describe it (hastily in my own words) and provide a link for those that are interested in learning more.

My cousins from Atlanta are quarter Cherokee ...their grandparents hid in the mountains of Georgia for years and then slowly assimilated.
Chester
More or less in line

#17256 3 years, 6 months ago
It is a very moving story. It breaks my heart, when I think about how the native americans were treated by our forefathers.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#17272 3 years, 6 months ago
I'm really happy to hear this gathering is happening. Not sure about CA but back east they have yearly Pow Wows and they invite American war veterans to dance with them for this one warrior dance. It's quite a sight.

So true Chester. What if we learned from them instead of treating them like savages?

As a CA school kid, Ishi was required reading and given a large amount of respect. I hope that's still true today.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
blue vase
Fresh Boarder

#17962 3 years, 5 months ago
Ursula K. LeGuin's father wrote the book Ishi, but I think some of her SF tells the best stories of the meetings of aliens.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#24937 3 years, 5 months ago
Bump!
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#24943 3 years, 5 months ago
"Ursula K. LeGuin's father wrote the book Ishi"

Ha, I didn't know this! I read her Earthsea Trilogy a few years ago and was just thinking about it the other day for the 1st time in a looong time
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#47324 3 years, 2 months ago

Attachment GON-CD-2011 2.jpg not found

www.gatheringofnations.com/powwow/index.htm
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by PMoondancer .
izancarlos
Visitor

#47332 3 years, 2 months ago
Jus a another white man view,so nice of the anthropology people to study him.Wtf is that,Wat was he an animal? Teaching the skills he taught them? Yeah ,rite, ..every1 is a Cherokee? For people to say that is ignorant at its finest..any real Tribal Cherokee members wish to respond,,? Wish they wud,..we don't want ur sympathy we jus want ur women..and money..scratch that...white women...hell no.!!!!money yes, oh yeah ,
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds