#16727 3 years, 4 months ago
thanks Lynx
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
rikmcnik
Junior Boarder

Re: A guide to posting pics, vids, and gifs

#16739 3 years, 4 months ago
[video]http://youtu.be/S805lTxqLSM[/video]
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by rikmcnik.
Lynx
Visitor

#16744 3 years, 4 months ago
No problem MsJimp but I must disagree with your signature line.

Film is not better than digital. Neither is digital better than film. They are different technologies and have different strengths and weaknesses. Which is better for you depends on what your photographic goals are.

I, for example, photograph mostly wildlife... birds in particular. So digital IS far better for me because I can:
A) Change the ISO without having to change film or carry multiple cameras, and
I can take hundreds of images in an outing and increase my chance of getting the perfect shot... if I tried this with a film camera it would cost me a fortune in film and developing.

When it comes to landscape photography, however, film still has it all over digital (I like Fujichrome Velvia and sometimes Ektachrome SW for Fall foliage). This advantage becomes even more apparent in the medium or large format but then of course you are talking about A LOT of money.

So saying film is better than digital (or visa vera) is like saying oil is better than watercolor for painting, or sculpting in clay is better than sculpting in marble. Different mediums for different artists.

Just my opinion (see my signature below)
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by .
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#16772 3 years, 4 months ago
i tend to enjoy portrait photography and have numerous medium format mamiyas , speed graphic, fed's and kiev cameras about the house , I suppose I was speaking from my preference I also like to shoot landscape and trees and some 35mm , i will say that if i had the extra 10 grand i would get a 645d , i like film in most situations, shooting a concert digital is far easier , however i still like film better for the majority of situations , i like film , everything ive posted on here so far was taken with either a pentax km or a pentax kr both dslr cameras , i am not against it and i welcome my new digital overlords because film will be phased out completely one day
Chester
More or less in line

#16790 3 years, 4 months ago
I think film will be around for our lifetime, and maybe past that. But, it will eventually, if not already, be relegated to the
domain of the artist. And even then, more and more rarely. Digital is so much more flexible, and efficient. I learned on film,
but I have so many pictures, and sleeves of negatives, laying around that I'll never use, it seems like a waste. Eventually
I'll end up throwing it out. With digital, I can just delete the ones I don't want. No waste. And yes, digital cameras have
finaly been getting good enough for most artists to use for their work. I loved film. But I have to embrace the efficiency
of digital. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: will work for doses
Lynx
Visitor

#16796 3 years, 4 months ago
The photographer behind the camera matters more than the name printed on the front of it or the format being used.

That being said one thing that I don't like about photography is that if you, like MsJimp said, have an extra 10K laying around then you can afford to take better pictures than someone who doesn't. Sometimes it take more than 10K! If I could afford an 800mm/5.6 lens I could take some amazing shots that I miss today.
Chester
More or less in line

#16801 3 years, 4 months ago
Lynx wrote:
The photographer behind the camera matters more than the name printed on the front of it or the format being used.

That being said one thing that I don't like about photography is that if you, like MsJimp said, have an extra 10K laying around then you can afford to take better pictures than someone who doesn't. Sometimes it take more than 10K! If I could afford an 800mm/5.6 lens I could take some amazing shots that I miss today.

Yes. It is an expensive hobby, or even as a career, if that's where your headed. I could improve my technique immensely with about 100 grand. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#16817 3 years, 4 months ago
Lynx I agree , name is not that important lol I shoot pentax and use sigma lenses . My go to is the sigma 70mm dg macro which is a compact 3 and a quarter inch lens that is really quite versatile and i think new it is $645
I have been given more than one frown when people ask what are you shooting with. As far as my film cameras go......most of them were lucky low bids on ebay I have so many 35mm cameras laying around that I bought just for the lens its probably more than we should really have hanging around but I am always up for taking these off of anyones hands that wants to unload some film equipment. I like being in the darkroom and developing stuff myself. I just like to shoot , almost anything really lol. I like the pictures I take and im glad that there are a few others who do too. i like to take pictures and its more like an addiction
Lynx
Visitor

#16818 3 years, 4 months ago
Well no matter what you are using your pics are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#16823 3 years, 4 months ago
I am 41 and at the point where I am not allowed to drive at night due to vision issues . I suppose that I just try to capture whatever it is that i see before i just cant see it anymore.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds