• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Grateful Dead at the Carousal Ballroom 6-19-68

#16616 3 years, 3 months ago
Spin off thread..
This show is a time capsule for this era, a mind altering ride through some pretty juiced energy going on in the house that night.

The first Not Fade Away was played that night. It's raw, primal, as is the rest of the show.
Don McCoy takes over the mic for some mysterious reason, as the band just stops playing...it starts to get really weird..he suddenly stops talking and there is applause..maybe Uncle Bobo walked him off stage? Then the crowd chants for 20 minutes.

John Cipollina is definitely playing too, I'd know that guitar anywhere. I used to have the full show from a DeadNet vine and it had a full summary of the night's events. If anyone has the whole show or that manuscript, I'd sure love a copy.

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

www.archive.org/details/gd68-06-19.sbd.cotsman.4511.sbeok.shnf
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Re: Grateful Dead at the Carousal Ballroom 6-19-68

#16636 3 years, 3 months ago
or2.JPG
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#18705 3 years, 3 months ago
Weekend bump for weirdest Grateful Dead show on the archive...

"Playin’ in the Band riff (in the Ten), in the middle of 1968! A show with a lot of historical interest. It’s like a day off from the usual stuff that band was playing at the time.

This is the first Not Fade Away, and is the only NFA of 1968. They didn’t play it again until December ’69.

The 20-minute Lovelight is looong. There’s a lot of it is vamping, not as much jamming.

The 20-minute chanting is reminiscent of the acid trips of 1965-66 (some of them are here at Archive.org). It does sound like Grace Slick singing 7 minutes into it. And it sounds like Bill Graham giving orders just before 21 minutes, trying to get the show started again.

The jam after the Main Ten isn’t exactly solid gold. It has moments of brilliance and other times where it isn’t going anywhere.

The Other One jam is the best jamming of the show. Jerry and Phil are dancing around each other for most of it, a real duet, driving and powerful. (The organ is barely audible, unfortunately). This was much longer than the Other Ones they had been playing at the time. (Possibly the first time without Cryptical Envelopment?)

Also of historical interest is that this is the last Dead show at the Carousel Ballroom before Bill Graham renamed it Fillmore West. All shows at this venue after this are listed as Fillmore West. I wonder if this was some sort of special event to mark the beginning of Bill Graham’s new venture."
Chester
More or less in line

#18727 3 years, 3 months ago
Classic show. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#18803 3 years, 2 months ago
try out 8/24/68 L.A. Shrine Auditoreum next
it's been released as two from the vault and it's a good one !
Chester
More or less in line

#18815 3 years, 2 months ago
Yup. I have that one too. Another great show.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Jack Jones
Junior Boarder

#18827 3 years, 2 months ago
fwiw, ymmv
Peace
www.archive.org/details/gd68-06-19.sbd.cotsman.4511.sbeok.shnf
"The following info was taken from a comment on setlists.net for 2/19/69 Fillmore West:
-------------------------------------
THE GRATEFUL DEAD
Celestial Synapse 1969 [no label, 2CD]
Live at Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, February 19, 1969. Good to very good soundboard.

Though this show has circulated as June 19, 1968 at the Carousel, as Tom Shyman explained when he shared the lossless

tracks on the Dime site, this is actually the Celestial Synapse at the Fillmore West on February 19, 1969. The following are

notes provided by Shyman:

From Mike Dolgushkin:
The show that circulates as 6/19/68 is misdated. It’s actually 2/19/69 - the Celestial Synapse at the Fillmore West.

I listened to it not long ago and thought “no way this is June of ‘68.” It sounded real close in time to the Live Dead stuff, and

you can hear TC [keyboardist Tom Constanten] poking out of the murk from time to time. Plus, it includes both Not Fade

Away and The Main Ten, which started appearing on a more/less regular basis in April of ‘69.

What clinched the date was reading the Rolling Stone review of the Celestial Synapse in the booklet that came with the

Fillmore box set. It describes everybody in the Fillmore getting naked and crazy at about two in the morning, among them

Don McCoy from Olompali, who took the stage and started rapping. Bill Graham had to keep the security people from

pulling him off. Anyway, on this tape, after Lovelight, you hear a bunch of whooping and hollering, after which someone

gets on stage and announces “Hi, my name’s Don McCoy.” Apparently the date that’s written on the vault copy is hard to

read; Dick originally thought it said 8/29/68. Another mystery solved. Tell your friends!”
------------------------------------------

It then goes on to list the exact notes which are written at the bottom of this page."
... that one word is "why?"

Music alone may span that space between the finite and the infinite. Edgar Cayce Reading 3659-1
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds