• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Lynx
Visitor

Inspire me...PLEASE!

#1563 3 years, 7 months ago
I'm on day #2 of no smoking. Had trouble sleeping last night. My jaw hurts from being clenched so tightly so much. Been sitting on the back porch in the wonderful early spring sun, listening to the sounds of birds singing their spring songs...and all I can think about is how it would sound better with a cigarette in my hand. I'm trying SO HARD here!

Please inspire me to get through the rest of the day smoke-free by sharing YOUR story of when you quit smoking and how much easier it was than you expected.

Restless........
brightday
Junior Boarder

Re: Inspire me...PLEASE!

#1566 3 years, 7 months ago
It wasn't easier than I expected, but do you wanna know anyhow?
brightday
Junior Boarder

#1570 3 years, 7 months ago
I haven't had one since 12/24/94

The first 30 days are the hardest

Do anything but smoke!

I chose to quit (after several attempts) at a really stressful time, I could barely stand up straight or even breathe b/c I was so upset about [some stupid loser that dumped me]

don't look at cigarettes don't touch them
In a very short time they will start to smell really bad!

Do you have anything you could sub in, that's less harmful for you?

Candy?
gum?
I think I smoked some kinda legal herbal mix, forget where I got it.... sometimes I just needed ANY smoke in my lungs but that only lasted a couple of months

YOU CAN DO IT
YOU CAN DO IT
YOU CAN DO IT

it gets easier every day, not all in a straight line, mind you. There will be those moments.

OH! Did you know this? If you wait out a craving it will GO AWAY on its own without your help!

try Wellbutrin/zyban, if need be...

Whatever it takes. This will be the best thing you ever do for yourself.
Lynx
Visitor

#1571 3 years, 7 months ago
As long as the story has a happy ending, yes....
Lynx
Visitor

#1574 3 years, 7 months ago
Thanks Brightday. Quitting during a stressful time like that must have made it even tougher. Much respect to you.
about1270due
Fresh Boarder

#1578 3 years, 7 months ago
good luck with that....the second day is not as bad as the first..can get a little exciting and anxious if you let it..if it gets overwhelming..just ride it out.
and by the third day..it's just telling yerself that you really don't need one..ya just want one..good luck!! ,and the inabilty to concentrate fades as well.
blindndirty
Fresh Boarder

#1582 3 years, 7 months ago
1st off - Good job man, don't fold now. Cigs are some bad juju.
Simple solution - If you need to smoke, light up some reefer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the highway terror
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#1618 3 years, 7 months ago
good luck on your smoking cessation
It's hard but you'll make it If you stick with It
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Pappy
Junior Boarder

#1621 3 years, 7 months ago
I'll try to inspire you...

SMOKING CIGARETTES SUCKS.

I did it for 19 years. Quit cold turkey. They taste like crap and they WILL kill you. Just stop. The cravings get less, but I still - after having now quit for 7+ years - crave one every now & again. That's the evil of tobacco. Make sure your children never start. It's not worth it. All you have to do is distract yourself through the craving (which only lasts a minute or two). Distractions are KEY.
Pappy

"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right."
- Robert Hunter
Lynx
Visitor

#1642 3 years, 7 months ago
Thanks everyone. Sorry to start another of these "help me stop smoking threads" that you see so often on these boards... but sometimes it really does help to be able to tell someone... anyone... what you're going through. BTW I just took Pappy's advice and distracted myself by cleaning my damn basement... found my old bat (the little metal kind that looks like a cigarette ! LOL!) Haven't seen that thing in years.
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds