• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: How far have you traveled to see the band

#15471 2 years, 12 months ago
From Blair Jackson's book "Garcia: An American Life"

"We represent some part of the modern adventure in America -- like Neil Cassady and Jack Kerouac -- and just hit the road," Garcia told the British rock magazine Q. "You need an excuse to be out there, and I guess the Grateful Dead is a pretty good excuse. It also provides a lot of support; there are always a lot of Deadheads traveling around, and they represent a kind of moving community. They've become more sophisticated through the years, with the older Deadheads hanging in there, and younger Deadheads coming in and discovering all this stuff. I guess in the '30s, when people used to ride the rails, you'd have to learn from the old hobos how to do it, and the Deadhead traveling thing is sort of along those same lines. It's one of the last American adventures you can have -- to follow the Grateful Dead on the road somewhere."
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#15477 2 years, 12 months ago
Been all over the country...hope to go furthur
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
skyties
Junior Boarder

#15482 2 years, 12 months ago
From sea to shining sea, coast to coast, we had a school bus on each coast and would take driveaway cars back and forth. Those were the daze. Goin' to Jamaica was kinda far too!
EProphet
Junior Boarder

#15483 2 years, 12 months ago
2002 drove Chicago to New Orleans to see Phil & Friends and Ratdog and GMule at Jazz Fest
2003 drove Chicago to Red Rocks to see The Dead
2004 drove Chicago to Red Rocks to see The Dead
2009 flew Chicago to Sacramento - attended Furthur Festival
TylerTerrapinCurtis
Junior Boarder
Tyler Curtis

#15486 2 years, 12 months ago
The Sherman Theatre for Furthur 7/5/10(an hour away).
I live near NYC (just on the NJ side, maybe 20 minutes away from the Holland Tunnel) so it's not hard to see the boys.
Actually, I did travel two hours for the Dead in 09. I was living in Long Beach Island at the time and went to the Izod Center (near NYC)
Buy the ticket, take the ride..."
ShakedownBlog.com
WGJORDAN3
Junior Boarder

#15487 2 years, 12 months ago
AROUND 7000 MILES THIS PAST FEB. FROM KURDISTAN TO BROOMFIELD.
"TAKE MY ADVICE, YOU'D BE BETTER OFF DEAD."
WGJORDAN3
Junior Boarder

#15488 2 years, 12 months ago
AROUND 7000 MILES FROM KURDISTAN TO BROOMFIELD THAT PAST FEB.
"TAKE MY ADVICE, YOU'D BE BETTER OFF DEAD."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#15491 2 years, 12 months ago

Attachment 2011-01-27 23.09.17.jpg not found

I'm from WI I've flown to SF, NY, Red Rocks. On a different note I've flown to Jamaica twice to see Gov't Mule.
The voices tell me what to say
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by funky420.
Riggamortis
Fresh Boarder

#15492 2 years, 12 months ago
Went from Nantucket(home) in 1990 across the Atlantic to every show in Europe by train. Then when I got backto the states headed cross-country for the mini west coast tour(Oakland,CA>Tempe,AZ>Denver,CO) before headed back home to the Island. I could not get back to CA for the New Years show though, it was the first one I had missed in four years.
Take off your shoes child
take off your hat
try on your wings and find out where it's at.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#15493 2 years, 12 months ago
HAhahaha funny question for today. Last night I was trying to figure out, based on the archive shows, which ones i 'd actually been to....talk about memories bleeding into one another and years being intertwined. It was a lesson in futility

I started in 1979 (first show - 2/4/79 outside of Madison, WI) and didn't really stop' til it was all over, tho I really slowed down in '87 cuz I was living in Europe.

I'd say I traveled as far as one could go, my home base being Chicago.

I don't remember what I did for money( I do remember selling PBJ's in Kansas City for a plane ticket home and those similar kind of situations and getting really lucky with rides between shows)

The one financial incident that really stands out in my mind is that I sold one entire semester's meal plan at college back to the school to get money for a tour that I picked up in Las Vegas some year...'83??

That didn't go over well at home ...as if any of it did...

All I know is I wouldn't change one iota of it for ANYTHING!!!!

edit: I guess the answer really is that I flew from Athens, Greece to Chicago and then got on a train and went straight to Houston, TX ~ how many miles I haven't a clue

standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by ruby_claire.
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#15501 2 years, 12 months ago
last year from south texas to up state NY. It took a good 25 to 30 hours driving.
kmhpsu
Junior Boarder

#15531 2 years, 12 months ago
Took my first ever airplane ride this past NYE from Baltimore (I live in Delaware so pretty much as far to the east as you can get) to San Fran for both nights. Came home broke as shit but it was worth it. In the future I'd rather drive than fly... flying might be quicker but it's such a hassle.
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds